walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Knoydart and the Rough Bounds day 2 - What Doesn't Kill You?

Knoydart and the Rough Bounds day 2 - What Doesn't Kill You?

Postby mrssanta » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:26 pm

Munros included on this walk: Garbh Chioch Mhòr, Sgùrr Mòr (Loch Quoich), Sgùrr na Cìche, Sgùrr nan Coireachan (Glen Dessary)

Corbetts included on this walk: Sgùrr an Fhuarain

Date walked: 04/07/2015

Time taken: 12.5 hours

Distance: 19.8 km

Ascent: 1840m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We woke at 9am in our tent and decided we had done quite well for sleep after our adventures of the night before moving the tent in a gale.
here is a link back to yesterday's report http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54314&p=287377#p287377

Today was a long day. There were various points along the ridge we could camp if necessary, but we really wanted to get as far as Sgurr na Ciche before bed tonight.
we packed up and set off by about a quarter past ten, and almost immediately cracked out the full waterproofs which remained on for most of the day.
The first objective was to find the stalkers path which came down the side of the mountain towards the boggy Bealach a' Mhaingir to join the old track from Glen Kingie across the bealach which disappears into the water of Loch Quoich to the north. This led us quite nicely across the bealach and lost us a good amount of hard won height! The next objective was to find the stalker's path which would take us on a nice gradient up to the ridge north of Sgurr an Fhuarain (a Corbett). Most of the route up until the other side of Sgurr Beag was on well constructed and beautifully graded paths which was a real blessing!
P7041686.jpg
Found! the stalker's path down the hill

P7041688.jpg
very nice track across the boggy bealach

P7041691.jpg
We were pleased that we found this path exactly where we expected it. It was hard to see until you were right on it, as it is all grassed over.

We reached the top of Sgurr an Fhuarain at a little after one o'clock and it was pouring with rain and not a good idea to hang about so we just took a terrible selfie (which you are not seeing, my camera does not have a forward facing lens and it is truly terrible!) and kept going.
up a few ups and down a few downs, the rain came and went and occasionally we were tantalised with the idea that there might be an amazing view out there.
P7041697.jpg
back to Loch Quoich at some point when we came below the colouds

Eventually we reached the first Munro of the day, at just after 2.30pm, which was Sgurr Mor. we also realised later that this was my number 141, halfway point!!!! yee ha!
P7041700.jpg
Top of Sgurr Mor

P7041701.jpg
and again, first Munro of the day and halfway for me.

Still the weather was not brilliant so we plodded on again down more downs and up more ups.
P7041705.jpg
somewhere out there is a view

The stalkers paths deserted us for the ascent of An Eag, and the going became rougher and steeper. The next Munro was Sgurr nan Coireachan which was reached at about half past five.
P7041707.jpg
top of Sgurr nan Coireachan

P7041708.jpg
ditto

I was getting desperate for a cup of tea at this point, and the path down to the next bealach was steep. Again we were tantalised with bits of view which came and went.
P7041709.jpg
Look! Loch Nevis!

As we came down out of the mist we spied three people coming down the hill opposite and stopping at the bealach for a breather. We met them and asked if they had seen a forecast for the next day, and they reassured us it was going to be better than today. I thought I recognised these folk off WH and being a bit tired and stupid was too shy to say so, but said this to Rudolph after they had gone. He then called them back and confirmed that it was indeed GillC, PollyH33 and Quoman some of the people I have most wanted to bump into on the hills!! Big hugs all round and the photo by Gill with her self timer, as you can see Quoman is a bit blurry there must have been a few drops of water on the lens.
P7041711.jpg
looking down to the bealach after Sgurr nan Coireachan. On the original picture if you zoom in enough you can see a few wee pixels that show GillC, Quoman and Polly H33. :-D

meeting up.jpg
GillC, PollyH33, Rudolph, me and Quoman. Lovely to meet you, you've no idea how it cheered us up!!!

Well a cup of tea and that friendly encounter fair cheered us up and I thought it possible that we might manage the next two Munros. Apart from which we did not fancy spending a night up so high in these conditions after the experience of the previous night.
So on we plodded thinking well tomorrow will be a shorter day. Over Garbh Chioch Bheag and onto Garbh Chioch Mhor. This was Rudolph's number 141 halfway point yee ha!!! And now the weather started to improve which also helped our morale.
P7041720.jpg
I'm rather proud of this moody picture of Sgurr na Ciche appearing out of the mist.

P7041722.jpg
top of Garbh Chioch Mhor - are we nearly there yet??

P7041724.jpg
I think this is the highest bit actually. Rudolph's halfway point :-D

Each of these hills gets rougher and steeper as you go on but there is no difficulty finding where to go as there are traces of a pointless wall and a well trodden bagger's path which takes you very steeply up to Sgurr na Ciche, made it at last!!
P7041726.jpg
Loch Nevis - getting a bit late now. Eigg is distinctive floating in the sea.

P7041727.jpg
moody blues - I have no idea what hills these all are.

P7041730.jpg
Rudolph made it to the last summit of the day - only half past nine! Looking westish.

P7041731.jpg
I made it too! looking back the way we came, spot Ben Nevis.

The plan from here was quite simple, to walk down the ridge towards Sourlies until we found a suitable camp spot and camp there. I had read in various books and reports that it was possible to Climb Sgurr na Ciche up the ridge from Sourlies so I figured it must be possible to go down too.
The first and most obvious path off the top led to the top of an impassable cliff so we went back up and followed a less obvious path which descended to the left (South) to avoid the worst of the cliffs. It soon disappears and we were glad that the cloud had lifted so we could see where we wanted to go.
P7041733.jpg
Let's find a campsite now.

Micronavigation here is quite tricky as the ground is very lumpy indeed and it is hard to tell on the map when you are knackered and been walking for twelve hours exactly which lump is which. I had marked all the places on the ridge where water could be found as waypoints on my satnav, but for some inexplicable reason had not marked the point on this descending ridge where there was a burn marked on the map. Words were said, and we were about to have a right royal falling out when suddenly there it was! a lovely burn with not only a nice flat, not boggy tent space, but some rocks to sit on and use as a kitchen. We were very grateful to stop, put on a brew, eat a hot meal and roll into bed. And there was evening and there was morning, the second day.

day 2 fhuarain to sgurr na ciche 20150704.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Here's the link to day three. http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54410 With Happy Mug pictures as well.
Last edited by mrssanta on Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Re: Knoydart and the Rough Bounds day 2 - What Doesn't Kill

Postby Silverhill » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:41 pm

I’m so glad the weather cheered up a bit for you. It’s already an epic and you haven’t arrived in Kinloch Hourn yet! Looking forward to the next stage! 8)
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:21 pm

Wow, what an epic! I'm always filled with admiration for you hard folk that lug your gear around for days, particularly up big ascents. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Haven't plucked up the enthusiasm to do that yet (though I was encouraged by Stevesey's 9 kg pack - that's less than my scrambling pack!!); and if there's a long high over the North West, I might yet give it a go - and Knoydart would be the top of list of favoured destinations.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby dav2930 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:23 pm

This is turning out to be quite an expedition and nicely reported too! Some impressive photos there despite, or perhaps because of, the weather. It takes some effort to traverse hills like these, with so much up and down, with a backpack full of camping kit! What a great way to do it though, camping up high like that. You've survived it so far so I guess it must be making you stronger! :wink: :clap:

Ps what a stroke of luck bumping in to GillC, PollyH33 and Quoman!
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby ancancha » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:11 am

In anticipation of the next installment...
I liked the moody picture of Sgurr na Ciche as well, very atmospheric, pun intended :lol:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby Beaner001 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:38 am

Enjoyed that report Mrs, you are two hardy soles :clap:
I too look forward to the remaining TR's and congrats to you and Rudolph on the half way 141 :clap:
Cheers
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:14 pm

Looks like a great trip! Looking forward to reading the rest.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby basscadet » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:54 pm

Thats a very long way.. We have done this ridge the other way round, and bloomin eck it was tiring :shock:
You look knackered on Garbh Chioch Mhor Mrs S :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:55 pm

Epic day two Mrs Santa well done both for on reaching half way & always nice to bump into other WH peeps
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby mrssanta » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:16 pm

Silverhill wrote:I’m so glad the weather cheered up a bit for you. It’s already an epic and you haven’t arrived in Kinloch Hourn yet! Looking forward to the next stage! 8)

thanks, I'm getting exhausted all over again just reading about it!
Alteknacker wrote:Wow, what an epic! I'm always filled with admiration for you hard folk that lug your gear around for days, particularly up big ascents. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Haven't plucked up the enthusiasm to do that yet (though I was encouraged by Stevesey's 9 kg pack - that's less than my scrambling pack!!); and if there's a long high over the North West, I might yet give it a go - and Knoydart would be the top of list of favoured destinations.

I don't know how he gets it to 9kg. I'm a cold chick and I like a thick mat and sleeping bag but I carry very little else and mine is a lot more than 9kg. Go for it though, high camping is the best!!
dav2930 wrote:This is turning out to be quite an expedition and nicely reported too! Some impressive photos there despite, or perhaps because of, the weather. It takes some effort to traverse hills like these, with so much up and down, with a backpack full of camping kit! What a great way to do it though, camping up high like that. You've survived it so far so I guess it must be making you stronger! :wink: :clap:

Ps what a stroke of luck bumping in to GillC, PollyH33 and Quoman!

oh yes it was a great encouragement to meet these lovely folk in real life.
ancancha wrote:In anticipation of the next installment...
I liked the moody picture of Sgurr na Ciche as well, very atmospheric, pun intended :lol:

thank you. :D
Beaner001 wrote:Enjoyed that report Mrs, you are two hardy soles :clap:
I too look forward to the remaining TR's and congrats to you and Rudolph on the half way 141 :clap:
Cheers

thanks, at this rate we might compleat before we are 104!
Mal Grey wrote:Looks like a great trip! Looking forward to reading the rest.

thanks for your kind comment.
basscadet wrote:Thats a very long way.. We have done this ridge the other way round, and bloomin eck it was tiring :shock:
You look knackered on Garbh Chioch Mhor Mrs S :lol:

that's because I was!! I feel rather proud of myself now!
gammy leg walker wrote:Epic day two Mrs Santa well done both for on reaching half way & always nice to bump into other WH peeps

Thanks Gammy. Hope to bump into your good self on a hill one day. :D
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland