walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An early evening yomp up Meall Nam Tarmachan

An early evening yomp up Meall Nam Tarmachan

Postby Avocetboy » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:12 pm

Route description: The Tarmachan Ridge

Munros included on this walk: Meall nan Tarmachan

Date walked: 22/07/2015

Time taken: 2 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had a meeting arranged for 12.00 noon in Kirkcaldy and another the following morning in Motherwell. Quickly began to realise that, weather dependent, another opportunity was being presented to climb another Hill. A quick look at the map and I decided that if I booked a hotel in Stirling, this would be an ideal base to drive up to the Ben Lawers car park and tackle Meall Nam Tarmachan. Having read a few reports, I was confident I coud do this within 3 hours.

Set off from Lincolnshire at 5.00am and arrived in Kirkcaldy bang on 12.00 for my meeting. This concluded at 2.30 and I checked in at Hotel at 3.30, got changed and set off towards Killin at 3.45. Weather was sunny, with a few showers about, but as I drove over the top near Glen Ogle to descend down towards Killin, I could see all the Lawers Hills bathed in sunshine. As this was to be my first solo munro, this was just what I needed.

Parked up at and was on my way at 5.00pm. The route up was great, a good path, steady gradient and a nice steep bit just before the summit. It took me exactly one hour to reach the summit. It was freezing on top. I toyed with the idea of walking the ridge to Meall Garbh, but with dirty looking rain clouds all round, I decided that having achieved my goal, I should bail out and enjoy the walk down. Decision was the right one as ten minutes later having descended the steep section, the tops were engulfed in cloud.

I arrived back at the car at 7.00pm, two hours after setting off feeling pretty chuffed with myself

A few pictures from a memorable two hours

Avocetboy
Mountain Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:74   Islands:7

Re: An early evening yomp up Meall Nam Tarmachan

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:33 pm

Looks like a very appealing hill. Your account reminded me of what I used to do when I was working on Anglesey - allowing similar early evening walks/fell runs into Snowdonia. Glad you timed the weather window correctly :D

But it's a really strange coincidence that you should publish today: I was studying photos of this area last night to see if what looked like an obvious straight-up, straight-down from the dam had any peculiarities! I'd thought of just yomping up more or less on a continuation of the line of the dam. (I'm planning to do BnT as part of a longer circuit in the area.)

Did you park in the car park below the dam?

You mention that there is a pretty straightforward path - is this right from the start? I ask because I don't see anything on the WH GPS maps at any scale...???
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Avocetboy » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:53 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Looks like a very appealing hill. Your account reminded me of what I used to do when I was working on Anglesey - allowing similar early evening walks/fell runs into Snowdonia. Glad you timed the weather window correctly :D

But it's a really strange coincidence that you should publish today: I was studying photos of this area last night to see if what looked like an obvious straight-up, straight-down from the dam had any peculiarities! I'd thought of just yomping up more or less on a continuation of the line of the dam. (I'm planning to do BnT as part of a longer circuit in the area.)

You mention that there is a pretty straightforward path - is this right from the start? I ask because I don't see anything on the WH GPS maps at any scale...???

Hi

Parked in Lawers car park before the damn and basically followed the sign. Excellent path all the way to the summit

It's a great hill for little effort with the option of doing the ridge if you have the time. Enjoy.
Avocetboy
Mountain Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:74   Islands:7

Postby ancancha » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:36 pm

A good choice, I remember having a really enjoyable day up there 8)
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby katyhills » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:49 pm

Nice pix :)
Would definitely recommend doing the whole ridge - it's a great walk with tremendous views.

Car parking has changed since I walked it, as the Lawers Visitor Centre no longer exists. Main car park is on the opposite side. I think I did it from the little parking area further along though. I was lucky enough to see a Capercaillie too. :)
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby BoyVertiginous » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:26 pm

Congrats on first solo, mate. Mine was on the same hill.

PS keep posting your "work" schedule and you'll get rumbled :wink:
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Postby BoyVertiginous » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:29 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Looks like a very appealing hill. Your account reminded me of what I used to do when I was working on Anglesey - allowing similar early evening walks/fell runs into Snowdonia. Glad you timed the weather window correctly :D

Not sure about a route up from the dam but the route from the North end of the dam looks good. If you can fit that and the ridge into your plan, you'll not be disappointed.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:48 pm

Tarmachan Ridge in green looks very inviting, so different from the frozen white world I experienced up there... Looking at your 3rd picture, I remember that final, steep section to the summit was covered in ice and it really tested my crampons/ice axe abilities.
I must go back and walk the ridge again sometime.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby jmarkb » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:08 pm

I'm sure a straight-up route from the dam, keeping left of the crags would go OK. You could always join the normal route from the last little col if the direct line looks too steep.

For an alternative to the normal round, I can recommend a circuit from the north, starting from a parking spot near a shed about 1km beyond the highest point of the road, going up the N ridge of Beinn nan Eachan and coming back from the main summit over Creag an Lochain.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland