walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Stuc and the Ravens

An Stuc and the Ravens

Postby ancancha » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:38 pm

Route description: Meall Greigh, Meall Garbh and An Stùc

Munros included on this walk: An Stùc, Meall Garbh (Ben Lawers), Meall Greigh

Date walked: 23/07/2015

Time taken: 7.22 hours

Distance: 18.4 km

Ascent: 1399m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

An Stuc 20150724.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Thought I had left in plenty of time to do these Munros, but on getting close to the start checked Viewranger and I hadn't synchronized it and so didn't have the route. Without a good internet connection I ended up in a cafe in Aberfeldy having a coffee to get some wifi :(

Got back to the Horn souvenir shop next to the start and there is a layby opposite. I asked if I could park there and the owner suggested a little spot just on the other side of the stream. Great this shortens things albeit by only a few hundred metres. Also the Lawers hotel seems to be charging a fiver for parking all day :!: Not sure if this is for overnight parking for motor homes or walkers, but I thought it a bit excessive.

So belatedly I set off up past the farm and into the woods which were teaming with flies :roll: so I moved quickly hoping that once out of the woods the wind would blow them away. Some cat flat through the deer fence, must have big cats around here

An Stuc cat flap.jpg

Out of the woods and the flies do fade away, but only once I got near to the junction of the return path, nice clear view of Meall Greigh

An Stuc out of the woods.jpg

Views all round are impressive, and the very steep climb up An Stuc all to apparent

An Stuc from start zoomed.jpg

The walk up to Sron Mhor is quite steep, but I slogged it out and on getting to the flat section before the climb up to Meall Greigh I saw what I thought was a Raven and quickly got the camera out, but although it rode up on the wind a couple of times I never got close to getting a photo. The views over to Lawers and Stuc make up for the disappointment

An Stuc Lawers and Stuc.jpg

On up to the summit in the breezy but sunny conditions and just before the summit three Ravens took off from just below the summit on the western windward side, I put the camera on zoom and blasted away on continuous mode in the general direction, but only managed to get a couple of shots with anything in the frame and it was into the sun, so nothing worthwhile.

Got to the summit and fine views all round, this one with Carn Gorm in the background

An Stuc Meall Greigh summit.jpg

It's nice to have done Carn Gorm a couple of days earlier as I can really get a feel for the lay of the land.

The walk down to the bealach before the climb up to Meall Garbh is pretty tame and a bit squidgy in places. The views and the interesting landscape took my mind off things, although I was aware that I was losing quite a lot of height.

An Stuc to bealach.jpg

The broad ridge is a particularly good vantage point for a view into the Corrie with Lochan nan Cat and Uan

An Stuc Lawers Lochans.jpg

Lairig Innein, the bottom of the bealach

An Stuc Lairig Innein.jpg

So far its all been pretty green and lush with a few boggy parts.

Started the climb up to Meall Garbh and quite near the top the terrain changes subtlety to more rocky and dry going. Nice view of Ben Lawers once I got to the outcrop, though sadly the top is covered in clag, Beinn Ghlas in the background

An Stuc outcrop to Meall Garbh.jpg

It's been very sheltered on the walk down to Lairig Innein and on the way up to the outcrop of Meall Garbh, but now I could feel the force of the wind. Just before the final climb up to the summit of Meall Garbh the Ravens appeared again. I had a feeling that I would meet up with them on the this side as they had flown off towards the head of the corrie from Meall Greigh; this time I'm getting a photo, although they are still quite a long way off

An Stuc Ravens.jpg

I was hoping to sneak up on them from further along the track, but as soon as I moved they flew off :( perhaps it was the breeze that made them fly off, because a few metres on and I was hit by a very strong gust :!: On the Scottish mountain wind scale this was crouch down low to avoid being blown away :!: mmm :think:

Up to the summit carefully, it was pretty breezy and at times I was walking with bended knees to lower my profile and centre of gravity

An Stuc Meall Garbh summit.jpg

The wind was due to moderate which was why I wasn't initially too concerned when starting the walk. Great view of An Stuc though 8)
The descent from Meall Garbh is steep and again the height loss is significant and all the while I am looking at An Stuc with concern :shock: It is very steep :!: I can see where quite a lot of the path is, but it disappears for a short section :?:

I stopped and sheltered from the wind and considered how I felt, put on gloves for a scramble, stashed the walking poles and took a close up photo to see if I could work how to get up to the summit. Not much help from this as for whatever reason I didn't get anything in complete focus. You can see the section that I was concerned about though, I could make out the path most of the way, just to the right of the red line, but where there is a gap looks like a rock climb :!:

An Stuc Path.jpg

It's pretty windy, but I'd be on the sheltered side. I can always crawl once on top if necessary :roll:

Made my way across the bealach and got to the bottom of the accent still not very sure about how I felt. Looking down Cat Gulley to Lochan nan Cat I thought that perhaps I could bail out down there, but that might through up it's own surprises. Ah :!: perhaps this isn't the path, took a look at the sat nav; this is the path :(
OK lets see how it goes and started the assent which is very doable to start with although pretty steep

An Stuc Path start.jpg

The camera was stowed as well as after this. A slight shower didn't make me feel any more comfortable although it didn't last long and wasn't heavy. The next section of the path requires attention as it gets steeper with loose rocks. Got to the section I was concerned about and it definitely requires attention :!: I always made sure that the rocks were solid and for one hand hold dug out some vegetation to make sure of a secure hand grip while a confident step up was required. Made it past this section, but didn't relax until I got to the flatter section just before the summit, still hyperventilating but relieved to have made it unscathed. The wind had at last abaited, but sadly the summit is covered in clag

An Stuc to summit.jpg

Made my way down the other side and not sure why, but assumed that I had one more summit to go Ben Lawers :roll: Got down to Bealach Dubh and out along a path towards what I thought was just a viewpoint for Lochan nan Cat, took some photos and made my way back.
A snow hole

An Stuc snow hole.jpg

Went out along another path which was to a view point, nice view 8)

An Stuc view point.jpg

Looked at sat nav and saw that this wasn't the track and made my way up a path towards Ben Lawers :?: Got a fair way up before realising that I was done and should now be heading down by Lochan nan Cat. Took a look up at Ben Lawers. This would certainly be a nice path to take to the summit, but I'd already ticked it off from the other side, it was getting late now and I wasn't sure about a way down to Breadalbane from Lawers summit although it did look reasonably tame. Anyway walking down past nan Cat would be pretty cool 8)

A last look up to the summit of Lawers

An Stuc ben lawers summit.jpg

A nice view back across to An Stuc

An Stuc summit from other side.jpg

and some evening sunshine improves the view down Lochan nan Cat

An Stuc view down cat.jpg

Once I got down to what I assumed was just a view point I realised why it had been so easy to be mistaken as the path is partially covered by the snow. Picked my way down and got to the edge of Lochan nan Cat and looking back up and around the corrie my feelings were what an incredible place to be standing.

Ravens Gully :!:

An Stuc ravens gully.jpg

Creag an Fhithich

An Stuc lawers crags.jpg

The crags below An Stuc

An Stuc crags below.jpg

and in the direction of home a nice calm view past nan Cat

An Stuc view home.jpg

The walk along down by nan Cat is very wet, although I never ever sunk too deep in and had put on gaiters at the start. Properly waterproof leather boots essential as well though :!:
There's a small hydro dam which looks like it will be getting heightened or repaired and there is a new well made landrover track leading to it from further round.

The old construction track which is now overgrown forms the path back from here along the top of lawers burn gully and is thankfully dry. A tame zig zag down later to a small bridge across the burn and on up the other side of the gully to the path down into the woods.

Got to the car just as the last of the light went, glad to be back, but also very satisfied.
Not for the faint hearted, but very much recommended.
Last edited by ancancha on Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Re: An Stuc and the Ravens

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:25 pm

Thanks for this. Very interesting! Strange coincidence: I'm planning a walk in this area, and within a few hours your and another report pop up covering it!

It looks every bit as good as - indeed better than - I'd hoped!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby rockhopper » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:47 pm

It's a nice walk with the lochan at the end - pity about the clag on An Stuc though. Can remember being very lucky (for once :roll: ) on this round - started in mist then inversion for much of the day - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby ancancha » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:28 am

Alteknacker wrote:Thanks for this. Very interesting! Strange coincidence: I'm planning a walk in this area, and within a few hours your and another report pop up covering it!

It looks every bit as good as - indeed better than - I'd hoped!

You're very welcome Alteknacker, I'm sure you will have a great experience.
From the outcrop of Meall Garbh to the end of An Stuc is a very memorable section.
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Postby ancancha » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:31 am

rockhopper wrote:It's a nice walk with the lochan at the end - pity about the clag on An Stuc though. Can remember being very lucky (for once :roll: ) on this round - started in mist then inversion for much of the day - cheers :)

Getting a clear view on reaching the top of An Stuc would have been incredible, but sais la vie, my heart was pumping anyway :lol:
Glad you had a good one for your day :D
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Postby mrssanta » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:10 pm

that was great. I recall many years ago we did the Lawers group starting from the old Visitor Centre and planning to finish on Meall Greigh. We got to Meall Garbh and it looked an awful long way away so we bailed at that point. Meall Greigh has been laughing at us ever since!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby ancancha » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:04 pm

mrssanta wrote:that was great. I recall many years ago we did the Lawers group starting from the old Visitor Centre and planning to finish on Meall Greigh. We got to Meall Garbh and it looked an awful long way away so we bailed at that point. Meall Greigh has been laughing at us ever since!

Hey Mrs Santa if you managed to get by An Stuc, especially coming down the way I went up, then going onwards to Meall Greigh would have been a stroll :!:
Especially since you have recently walked all over Knoydart :lol:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland