walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Another 4 in East Mamore

Another 4 in East Mamore

Postby jamesb63 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:50 pm

Munros included on this walk: Binnein Beag, Binnein Mòr, Na Gruagaichean, Sgùrr Èilde Mòr

Date walked: 25/07/2015

Time taken: 7.52 hours

Distance: 19.3 km

Ascent: 2056m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Set of at 4am to make an early start and beat the traffic on the A82 :crazy:
by the time I reached Loch Ba the sunrise was spectacular and never took one pic :?
was too busy just admiring it
reached Kinlochleven at 5.55 ,I had decided just to do the walk in approach shoes so
lost no time getting ready just on with the rucksack and let my four legged friend out the back
and we were off ,height is gained surprisingly quick
Looking back down on Kinlochleven
East Mamore 4 002.JPG

Moving along at a good brisk pace I soon reached Loch Eilde Mor and here the clag was well down
East Mamore 4 004.JPG

I had made my plan to head along the Lochside and start my ascent via the Allt Riabhach burn
there is a faint path to this route and very soon I reached the usuall route just at the waterfalls
below and by now the clag was lifting nicely as well :D
East Mamore 4 005.JPG

From the Coire An Lochain it was a quick ascent to the summit of the first Munro of the day Sgurr Eilde Mor :D
East Mamore 4 007.JPG

Looking over to Binnein Mor I could clearly see the path traversing up the the bealach
East Mamore 4 010.JPG

A look back over to Sgurr Eilde Mor
East Mamore 4 011.JPG

so it was a straight down decent to Coire a Bhinnein to reach the path ,the path is excellent in that is give a nice gradual ascent and I was the bealach before I knew it and in very good time ,here I took off the rucksack for the final ascent up Binnein Beag no problems here and was on the summit of number 2 in quick time
East Mamore 4 015.JPG

Back down to the bealach and a spot of lunch and some fluids :D
From here I had decided to ascent Binnein Mor via the ridge Gualainn a Bhineinn Mhoir the ascent up to the ridge was very wet and slippy over a steep grass slope so care was taken once on the ridge it gives an easy ascent the rest of the way
East Mamore 4 013.JPG

East Mamore 4 014.JPG

From the ridge I made the top with no stops and going well
East Mamore 4 025.JPG

Looking over to the Ring Of Steall I had done that 2 weeks previous and it looks great from here
East Mamore 4 023.JPG

Setting off for Na Gruagaichean I could see the first walker I had seen all day
I had a few words with him and he was making for Binnein Mor for his first of the day doing the 2
reaching the bealach I seen some of the Mamore locals enjoying lunch below in Coire nan Loagh
East Mamore 4 033.JPG

On reaching the top it started to rain a little but not enough to spoil the day though :lol:
East Mamore 4 036.JPG

East Mamore 4 041.JPG

East Mamore 4 039.JPG

I went for the direct route straight down for the top to the landrover track
East Mamore 4 042.JPG

From the track I took the path branching to the left back down to the car park,another great day in the mountains :D :clap: :clap:
East Mamore 4 044.JPG

trip log east mamore 4 001.JPG
Last edited by jamesb63 on Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

Munros:218   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Another 4 in East Mamore

Postby Backpacker » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:40 pm

Good report, I'll have been the walker you met coming off Binnein Mor
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby jamesb63 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:11 pm

Backpacker wrote:Good report, I'll have been the walker you met coming off Binnein Mor

Ah so I met the face behind the mystery shadow avatar :lol: hope you enjoyed the rest of your day :)
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:38 pm

The Mamores were popular with Walkhighlanders last weekend :D We also did part of this ridge on Saturday, but we started much later. The summit of Binnein Mor was crowded when we got there. On the way to An Gearanach we got soaked in heavy shower and the descent from AG was a nightmarish trudge over wet grass and high bracken. I think we picked the wrong line of descent (west into Coire na Ba), we should have gone down the way you did, straight towards the track. All in all, another good day on the hills :lol:
We skipped Binnein Beag this time... I have a cheeky plan to climb it by itself from Glen Nevis side.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby jamesb63 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:39 pm

BlackPanther wrote:The Mamores were popular with Walkhighlanders last weekend :D We also did part of this ridge on Saturday, but we started much later. The summit of Binnein Mor was crowded when we got there. On the way to An Gearanach we got soaked in heavy shower and the descent from AG was a nightmarish trudge over wet grass and high bracken. I think we picked the wrong line of descent (west into Coire na Ba), we should have gone down the way you did, straight towards the track. All in all, another good day on the hills :lol:
We skipped Binnein Beag this time... I have a cheeky plan to climb it by itself from Glen Nevis side.

Yes it looked as it would have been busy behind me going by the car park being full,i was first to arrive
I had a light shower heading onto Na Gruagaichean ,the route I took down was very wet and slippy all the way,so I don't think it would have been any better than the route you took coming off,all hills the same with this weather :(
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

Postby TinaSevier » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:17 pm

That's amazing! Thanks for sharing.
TinaSevier
Hill Bagger

Postby simon-b » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:09 pm

We've done a lot of the same hills these last few weeks, James, and all very good ones. I took the more direct route up Binnein Mor from Binnein Beag, but I guess your approach was the more sensible one with a dog.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby jamesb63 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:54 pm

simon-b wrote:We've done a lot of the same hills these last few weeks, James, and all very good ones. I took the more direct route up Binnein Mor from Binnein Beag, but I guess your approach was the more sensible one with a dog.

Yes Simon these hills are all within an easy drive from where I stay :D
will save the singles and double days for winter walks
And the further away hills I will do as 2 or 3 day walks
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland