walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Avon in the rain

Ben Avon in the rain

Postby ancancha » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:16 pm

Route description: Ben Avon via Gleann an-Slugain

Munros included on this walk: Ben Avon

Date walked: 26/07/2015

Time taken: 7.53 hours

Distance: 35.15 km

Ascent: 1261m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ben Avon 20150727.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Having spent too much time in the chair in front of the screen it was time to get out and get the blood flowing. Initially I'd planned to do Bynack Lodge from Bridge of Tilt, still want to do that sometime.
It was nice and sunny when I left Edinburgh, although the forecast was abysmal. I decided that perhaps Ben Avon would be a better day out, and the weather in the North East was apparently going to be OK till late afternoon and I could always make a decision at Perth in any case.
Decision made I headed up to the car park just past Braemar at Keiloch.

This was going to be a bike hike whichever route I decided on, so got the bike set up and headed off along the tarmac road

Ben Avon tarmac road.jpg

If it was like this all the way it wouldn't take long :!: It's not tarmac for that long, but it is a pretty reasonable landrover track more or less until the secret valley.
I doubled back a couple of times after checking the satnav, there are a number of different tracks.

Nice sculpture in a field at Invercauld House, an impressive chunk of bronze perhaps. I had a quick look, but couldn't find a great deal of info on it

Ben Avon sculpture.jpg

Found the track in and peddled on towards the secret valley where there is a choice of tracks

Ben Avon choice.jpg

Thinking that the left hand track down into the secret valley looked like I'd have to drop down and then cycle / push up again I opted for the high road. Where the track splits again with the landrover track heading up to the right take that :!: I though it was just a short track to a quarry and took the walking path which leads down to the Slugain Lodge ruins which was a bit of a mission with the bike.
In the Railtons Ben Avon http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=53909 report they said they wished they'd taken the bikes further and I'd also had a chat with the assistant in Braemar Mountain Sports and he said you could get all the way up to The Sneck :!: I pushed and mostly cycled on, getting off at the most sever calverts, there are a lot of them :!: until the ford just after Carn Eag Dhubh which for me would have been the best compromise between cycling and pushing. I carried on with pushing the bike until the main ford at the Glas Allt Mor and left it there.

A couple of photos, looking south

Ben Avon south.jpg

and north up towards Cnap a Cheilrich

Ben Avon track in.jpg

This was never going to be a blue sky vista extravaganza.

After chaining up the bike and getting the walking poles organised made my way up the reasonable track towards the Sneck. By now it is raining persistently and I stopped and put on waterproof paclite over trousers. Felt more comfortable and slogged on grateful for the other waterproof gear I was wearing.
Shortly after taking this photo I stowed the camera as well

Ben Avon up to sneck.jpg

There were some mountain bike tracks all the way up to the Sneck, so I guess some very fit and talented cyclist do venture all the way :shock:

What a shame the views all around would be fabulous, I've seen the other reports and looked at the geography on Google Earth :(
Anyway with only a four kilometers or so to the summit and back I might as well get it done after coming all this way. Turn right at the Sneck and up a steeper section to the outcrop from which after looking at the satnav knew it would be a flattish quick walk to Leabaidh an Daimh Bhuidhe summit, the name of Ben Avon summit I assume.
Walking along in the clag it started to get steeper again :?: looked at the satnav and only a couple of hundred metres to go :D and then this out of the clag

Ben Avon summit.jpg

It looked a lot more impressive in reality and I always think there is something incredible about being on a mountain top in the middle of nowhere in the mist. It was sheltered on this side, so got the good camera out for the photo.
Then to make sure I could tick it off climbed, slithered up to the top of the middle, I think the south most part of the Torr looked fractionally higher, but in the wind and wet this is as far as I am going

Ben Avon summit torr.jpg

As you can see photo taken from a low vantage point :lol:

Had a look around and then sat down and had a sandwich on the sheltered side before heading down. Considered very briefly gong up Beinn a Bhuird once I got back to the Sneck, but only very briefly, time was getting on and it was also raining quite heavily now.

Was very surprised at how quickly I got back to the bike and along the track back. Decided to take a look down into the secret valley as I thought most of it I could cycle down, but the path is rocky and wet, so carefully down on foot for most of it.
Made good speed once I got back on the landrover track and the spectacular of the day was about to come my way 8) Sorry now photos, will definitely get the gopro organised at some point.
On approaching Invercauld house I could hear the alarm call of a deer and the field just after the house is full of them and they are now starting to stampeding up towards the track right in front of me, lots of them, lots and lots and lots of them, easily a hundred probably many more. I had to put on the brakes to avoid cycling into them. No more than twenty metres in front of me, moving quickly. Awesome fit majestic beasts covering so much ground with ease. Hinds and one good stag with impressive antlers that I particularly noticed close up, incredible 8)
Last edited by ancancha on Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Re: Ben Avon in the rain

Postby basscadet » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:59 pm

The Gorms are brilliant on claggy wet days like this.. Looked like a worthwhile day oot, despite the soaking :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby ancancha » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:25 pm

basscadet wrote:The Gorms are brilliant on claggy wet days like this.. Looked like a worthwhile day oot, despite the soaking :D

Watching the deer stampeding so close in front of me at the end was incredible 8)
For this alone the day oot was worthwhile :wink:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Postby basscadet » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:53 pm

Aye, I had a similar experience in the same area the day I did Carn a Drochaide, which is very near by. I was left wondering about what would make them stampede so.. :crazy:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Postby ancancha » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:58 pm

basscadet wrote:Aye, I had a similar experience in the same area the day I did Carn a Drochaide, which is very near by. I was left wondering about what would make them stampede so.. :crazy:

mmm :?: bipeds :lol:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Postby basscadet » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:51 pm

If that were true, then surely when they saw me (a fellow biped) they would run off in a different direction, but they ran right past me, I was scared of getting trampled..
Reminded me of the day I was shooting rabbits up the back of the village with a mate. We fired a couple of shots, all the rabbits ran away, we walked down to retrieve our spoils, only for the rabbits to come back and run right passed our feet.. Careful inspection of the trees at the bottom of the field, revealed a very large black cat that came down from a tree and sloped off into the undergrowth :shock:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Postby ancancha » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:14 pm

basscadet wrote:If that were true, then surely when they saw me (a fellow biped) they would run off in a different direction, but they ran right past me, I was scared of getting trampled..
Reminded me of the day I was shooting rabbits up the back of the village with a mate. We fired a couple of shots, all the rabbits ran away, we walked down to retrieve our spoils, only for the rabbits to come back and run right passed our feet.. Careful inspection of the trees at the bottom of the field, revealed a very large black cat that came down from a tree and sloped off into the undergrowth :shock:

:lol: :!:
That is so interesting, because as you say they ran towards me and right in front of me :?:
I assumed they wanted to get into the safety of the woods on the other side of the track :!:
mmm, the plot thickens :think:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland