walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A short wander up Glen Tilt

A short wander up Glen Tilt

Postby KatTai » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:05 pm

Route description: Glen Tilt circuit, Blair Atholl

Date walked: 28/07/2015

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'm off this week and the weather is being a bit annoying...I ended up switching plans and headed for Glen Tilt today instead of across to the west coast, initial plans were to leave retired doggy at home, but as she had been resting up yesterday for a trip out it was fairly obvious before I even got up that wasn't going to be an option! Fortunately there is a a short-cut on the Glen Tilt walk, and we took the short cut reducing the length of the walk to a nice 6 miles which is much better for retired-doggy! The weather was fine for the walk, a little drizzle here and there and fine while I had lunch sitting outside with the dogs at Food in the Park. I had finished just in time as walking back across to the car it really started to pour down!

The waymarking was a bonus, though it seemed to be a long stretch walking back on the road though maybe that wouldn't have seemed so much if we had done the full walk. I did notice there were trails for bikes some of which seem to be on reasonable landrover tracks so that may be an option (I have a bike trailer for retired-doggy to ride in when she gets tired!)

1.jpg
Spot retired doggy who is VERY happy to be back in the glens!

4.jpg
The Glen

8.jpg
Pretty flowers

9.jpg
Getting shouted at...

11.jpg

16.jpg

20.jpg
Dinner time!
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Re: A short wander up Glen Tilt

Postby katyhills » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:09 pm

It's a beautiful glen - the nicest I've been in. The harebells are a delight at this time of year :)
Some lovely photos - the dogs looked happy enough!
You were lucky with the weather - it hasn't stopped raining here in ( south west of Glasgow ) since yesterday morning :)
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby KatTai » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:17 pm

I got there early enough, if I had been five minutes slower I would have ended up with very soggy fish and chips! Fly was hyped about getting back out even if it was on lead. It's only an hour and a half drive away so I have no doubt we'll be back there :D Hopefully in sunshine next time...
KatTai
Wanderer

Postby ancancha » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:30 pm

Nice macro / close up of the bee I assume and flower :clap:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby KatTai » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:47 pm

ancancha wrote:Nice macro / close up of the bee I assume and flower :clap:

Not a bee, some kind of bee fly. They mimic bees like hoverflies mimic wasps :) Sadly I didn't have my actual macro lens with me for getting proper close-us but I'm pleased with what I got :D
KatTai
Wanderer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland