walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

South Glen Shiel ridge (a bridge to far)

South Glen Shiel ridge (a bridge to far)

Postby David Lyall » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:49 pm

Route description: South Glen Shiel Ridge: 7 Munros

Munros included on this walk: Aonach Air Chrith, Creag a'Mhàim, Creag nan Dàmh, Druim Shionnach, Maol chinn-dearg, Sgùrr an Doire Leathain, Sgùrr an Lochain

Date walked: 28/07/2015

Time taken: 13 hours

Distance: 26.75 km

Ascent: 1818m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We started our walk slightly later than intended at 9.15 from a car park at the start of Tomdoun road just east of the Cluanie Inn. We followed this road for about 7km before eventually turning off onto the stalkers path. ( I have no idea what the more direct route is like but I would be tempted to try it if I ever did this walk again) The stalkers path was excellent zig zagging up the hill eventually reaching the top at 12.15.
On the stalker path heading for 1st Munro.JPG

1st of the day Creag a' Mhaim.JPG

Heading towards no2.JPG

Feeling better at getting the first one under our belt we set of in the cloud towards no2 a short decent and an enjoyable ridge before reaching the summit of Druim Shionnaach at 13.10. We considered cutting our day short at this point and heading back to the first car but decided to press on perhaps not the best decision.
No2 Druim Shionnach.JPG

The next peak is 3km of undulating ridge but the weather started to clear and we got good views along the ridge which lifted our spirits. Once we reached no3 Aonach air Chrith at 14.15 we got good views back and forward it was quite daunting.
Zach at the top of no3 Aonach air Chrith at 1021m is the highest.JPG

We decided to press on as the weather had turned again and we were getting pretty wet Zach my wee dog was doing a lot of shivering. There was one pretty rocky section it is hard to believe that Steven is not keen on heights or rocky sections he made it look easy. We reached our 4th Maol Chinn-Dearg at 15.55. The weather was dry again and we stopped for a well-earned rest and food. Zach was still shivering.
No4 with Zach and veiws behind of Loch Cluanie.JPG

Feeling better after our rest we headed for no5 which is a short distance off the main path we arrived at Sgurr an Doire leathain at 17.10 with 2 more to go and a long walk out we knew we had to keep moving but tired legs will only go so fast and it’s better to arrive in one piece.
no 5 Sgurr an Doire.JPG

We had some views down into Coire Lochain as we headed for no6 by this time the day is a blur we arrived at the summit of Sgurr an Lochain at 17.45. Weather was poor and Steven checked our location to make sure we were on track. Sometime after this Zach cut his paw which was a worry but he did eventually walk all the way back to the car.
No 6 Sgurr an Lochain Steven checks our location.JPG

Steven comming down more of a rock face than a scramble.JPG

The end was in sight as we headed for our 7th there was a path which avoided a top which was a bit rough and muddy but a real God send. We had a bit of scrambling again before reaching the top of Creag nan Damh our 7th of the day at 19.30. Visibility was very poor so after checking our position and tacking a couple of pictures it was of back to the car.
No7 of the day a great feeling.JPG

We followed along the fence line which involved a bit more scrambling and quite a walk before we reached the stalkers path. It did not help that Zach who I had though was close to death chased off after something and could not be found for a good 15min. The stalkers path was more of a man made burn and very slippy for tired legs. We had to cross the river after a while then the path continued as the light was fading we could see the road when but it never got closer. When we were about 1km from the road and the light had almost gone we had another river crossing made very tricky with head torches on, but we managed and got back to the car at 10.50. Then it was a run up to get Steven’s car and back to the hostel. Luckily the 4 young guys were still out and we got a bite to eat and off to bed. IT was a long day and not one I would like to repeat any time soon.
Last edited by David Lyall on Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Lyall
Munro compleatist

Munros:200   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   

Re: South Glen Shiel ridge (a bridge to far)

Postby dav2930 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:12 pm

An earlier start and better weather probably would given you a more positive experience. At least you bagged 7 Munros in one day, which you can't do anywhere else half so easily! So, well done. :thumbup:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby spiderwebb » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:16 pm

Great effort on these, it is a long day for sure, but bet you'll look back and smile, eventually :lol:
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:19 pm

Good effort not to bin it in that weather!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby David Lyall » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:15 pm

Mal Grey wrote:Good effort not to bin it in that weather!

Thanks for the comments, If I had known how late were finished I would have bailed after no2, but it is a lesson learned for me.
David Lyall
Munro compleatist

Munros:200   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland