walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Kintail Brothers & 2 neighbors, Great morning in Glen Shiel

Kintail Brothers & 2 neighbors, Great morning in Glen Shiel

Postby Petr Dakota » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:06 pm

Route description: Brothers Ridge - Sgùrr a Bhealaich Dheirg

Munros included on this walk: Aonach Meadhoin, Ciste Dhubh, Sàileag, Sgùrr a' Bhealaich Dheirg

Corbetts included on this walk: Am Bathach

Date walked: 25/07/2015

Time taken: 8.19 hours

Distance: 19.9 km

Ascent: 1838m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

It was unusually long time since my previous mountains trip - over one month :shock: :o and the last trip was in the same area: Glen Shiel - South ridge, where I reached my 100 Munros, but because of bad cloudy, misty, showery weather with poor visibility, I promised myself to return back to Glen Shiel one day and catch the missed views from opposite side - from Five Sisters or The Kintail Brothers. The gap between my walks I enjoyed two weeks of holiday outside of Scotland, visited and had a good time with my Family in Czech Republic, then after return back home here I got busy with a lot of things and also busier schedule at work as more work mates are on holiday during the summer and the work must be done :roll: :lol:
Also the weather this summer is really not friendly to us - hill walkers, can't remember any summer before with rain so often... :? It was really different on my holiday there in Czech, sunny days, tropical weather, temperature between 32 - 37 deg.C and raining shortly one day only - refreshment :D 8) These hot days makes you lazy, spending the time by sitting in garden, barbecue, drinks and small swimming pool :lol: , but atleast two days from the time we used for two walking trips as the area is well situated in the mountains. One day it was the highest mountain of the area ( 2nd highest in Czech Republic ): "Praděd" - 1.492 m above sea level and the other day another nice one: "Šerák" - 1.351 m above sea level. Even both of the mountains are higher than Ben Nevis ( 1.344 m ) by the altitude, the ascent is only about 600 m as the start point is in higher level :wink: the walk there is easier, by well maintened and signed paths, walking mostly throught forest which is protection against any wind or heavy rain...some summits you can even reach by car :shock: :lol: It was nice and different walk there, beautiful mountains, surrounded by forest and great view points, but somehow I missed the reall rough walk in the scottish mountains, where you need to overcome the terrain and weather conditions :crazy: 8) :lol:
So finally weekend free - out of work as I am working mostly on weekends, watched the weather forecast every day - long time in advance and it was nice to see that the West, especially the Kintail area is promising on the saturday as most of areas in Scotland looked rainy again. Happy that there is a hope to go somewhere where I will be able to do more Munros in one route and big hope that there is an opportunity to get some nice views from the Glen Shiel area :D :D 8) :wink: :D
After busy and long working day ( friday ) I prepared all my mountains stuff and then slept about 2 hours as the set alarm at 00:05 am woke me up with no mercy :roll: :lol: Checked the weather again and after all the "morning's" necessaries I started my car at 01:40 am :) Hungry for the mountains, looking forward to feel the hills again I headed to north-west to Glen Shiel via Stirling, Perth, Dalwhinnie, Spean Bridge and Invergarry. It's a quite long way from home if you want get back the same day ( I know is still too short compared to Alteknacker's or Simon's distance from their home ), but is good to do it during summer as the daylight is allowing it...one month later the daylight will be two hours shorter and going worse and worse... :roll: :)
Even after the shower in the morning I started feel sleepy on the beginning of my night start trip until I heard a song on radio...the song "Daddy Cool" from Boney M at 02:14 am !!! I dont know why, but i love the song from my teen-age :D and the song made me awake totally and I started feel that the day will be great :lol: 8) :D :wink: :lol:

I got to the start point at Glen Shiel about 5:15 am, parked at the layby - 1 km east from Cluanie Inn. Silent fresh morning welcomed me there :clap: then I started my walk at 05:23 am full of great feelings and expectations :D 8) :lol:

DSCF3177.JPG
Arriving to the Glen Shiel on the road A87, I decided that the first targed will be the Corbett Am Bathach nicely visible from this point...
DSCF3204.JPG
Looking back from the Am Bathach after @ 1 hour of walk. Loch Cluanie and the Cluanie Inn in the background
DSCF3205.JPG
The summit of Am Bathach, my next target the Munro Ciste Dhubh is hidden in white clouds...hope it will change soon and I will get some views from the summit...
:roll: :? :crazy:
DSCF3222.JPG
Looking back to the Am Bathach and starting the climb to Ciste Dhubh, this area was really very boggy and mudy, watching my steps carefully
DSCF3235.JPG
The wee summit of Ciste Dhubh. Unfortunatelly no views, misty - poor visibility all the time on Ciste Dhubh
:( :roll: :?
DSCF3240.JPG
Part of the trail on Ciste Dhubh
DSCF3249.JPG
Better visibility in lower level, descending Ciste Dhubh then straight on to the hill opposite - Sgurr an Fhuarain covered by clouds and then the second Munro of my trip Aonach Meadhoin - 1st of the Kintail Brothers - visible on the right
DSCF3271.JPG
Climbing up to the Sgurr an Fhuarain and looking to the Am Bathach with Loch Cluanie in the background...visibility much better again
8) :) 8)
DSCF3286.JPG
Ciste Dhubh clearly visible now in all its beauty
:D 8) 8)
DSCF3292.JPG
The summit of Sgurr an Fhuarain it's Top only, the Munro Aonach Meadhoin - first of the Brothers is behind
DSCF3310.JPG
View from the "First Brother", looking back to the Top of Sgurr an Fhuarain with the ridge and Loch Cluanie in the background
DSCF3311.JPG
Aonach Meadhoin summit, the second Brother Sgurr a'Bhealaich Dheirg is distanced, hidden in the mist on the right
DSCF3317.JPG
Walking to the Sgurr a'Bhealaich Dheirg
DSCF3337.JPG
Nice view back to the Ciste Dhubh throught the Valley...
Since started the walk all the time was dry without any rain ( just the ground was still full of water and some parts very boggy and mudy ), here before the second Brother started light rain shower for a short time... :roll: :? :crazy:
DSCF3347.JPG
The nice summit of the second Brother, You must go over the rock and stones to get there
DSCF3348.JPG
Looking back to the whole hills - Aonach Meadhoin and the top of Sgurr an Fhuarain...cloudy and light rain shower now
DSCF3349.JPG
Well builded summit of Sgurr a'Bhealaich Dheirg - the second of Kintail Brothers and the highest of them
:clap:
DSCF3363.JPG
Looking back to the Sgurr a'Bhealaich Dheirg while walking to the Saileag. Ciste Dhubh in the background...
DSCF3371.JPG
The 3rd and last of the Brothers Saileag ahead, some sign of Five Sisters behind and the A87 road down at Glen Shiel
:D 8)
DSCF3393.JPG
Nice flat stone allowed this self-timer photo on the ridge
:D 8) :lol:
DSCF3402.JPG
The final summit of the day: Saileag - the 3rd Brother. Five Sisters clearly visible behind
:D 8) :D
At 11:50 am reached the last summit, 4 Munros and one nice Corbett done...looking at the Five Sisters...big dillema now...would be nice to continue and add also the 3 Munros of the Sisters, but counting the time and thinking about the distance which need to drive back home, does not look suitable this day. If I had someone who is there with me, then could be easy get lift back by car and still get home in the good time, but my friends I asked they was busy with something else on the saturday ( mostly is problem to arrange the same free day off for a trip ) and the last bus I have found ( can stop at Cluanie Inn ) is going at 16:48 from Shiel Bridge...decision...decision..and a big dillema, risky, but still a chance to get the bus...If not chance to get the bus, there is about 25 km walk on the road back to the start point and in case of not any willing drivers who can pick me up it means another extra 4 hours after finish in the mountains...it would be so late then... :? :crazy: :( Then started rain - light shower again and some clouds coming...and I remember the wet stones - difficult unsafe steps on, which makes you slow in walk and it made my decision - going down to the car park at A87 by the usual path between Five Sisters and The Brothers and try to stop some cars or walk on the road to the laybe where I left my car with spare time to get there.
DSCF3421.JPG
Walking down from the Saileag. Five Sisters ahead...
DSCF3425.JPG
The Junction between Brothers, Sisters and the path down to the A87 road...wet...wet...wet
DSCF3426.JPG
The boggy, mudy path with a grassy wet ground around...very slippery...and very slow by the way
:roll: :? :crazy: :lol:
I got down to the parking area at A87 safely, removed my waterproof jacket and put back into my rucksack as the rain shower stoped, then I started my walk on the road back to my car. I tried to stop some cars unsuccessfully while walking until I was lucky when some driver stopped later :D With many thanks and the some saved time I got back to my car and turned to the Cluanie Inn to splash the great day by one well deserved pint of Beer :D 8) :wink: :lol: refreshed by some food I drove home full of great feelings from the day...just a little disappointed about the Five Sisters, but I found also some positive points on it: I will return back to the beautiful area to walk the Five Sisters and also select the limited amount of photos in one report will be easier from this trip and then from the separate trip to the Sisters than chose a little pictures from all of the mountains...and I guess there will be a beauty to catch by camera :D :wink: 8) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Petr Dakota on Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Re: Kintail Brothers & 2 neighbors, Great morning in Glen Sh

Postby Petr Dakota » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:14 pm

Some more Photos:
DSCF3180.JPG
DSCF3252.JPG
DSCF3294.JPG
DSCF3301.JPG
DSCF3307.JPG
DSCF3323.JPG
DSCF3327.JPG
DSCF3334.JPG
DSCF3338.JPG
DSCF3340.JPG
DSCF3346.JPG
DSCF3362.JPG
DSCF3367.JPG
DSCF3380.JPG
DSCF3388.JPG
DSCF3394.JPG
DSCF3397.JPG
DSCF3399.JPG
DSCF3400.JPG
DSCF3401.JPG
DSCF3406.JPG
DSCF3407.JPG
DSCF3410.JPG
DSCF3413.JPG
DSCF3423.JPG
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby jamesb63 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:25 pm

Excellent and informative report and pics :clap: :clap: the ground everywhere is sodden
I was in the Momores yesterday and it was the same :lol:
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

Munros:218   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Guinessman » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:28 pm

Up in Kintail for a week from Saturday and intending doing this route albeit a bit later in the day! Thanks for posting.
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby Petr Dakota » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:28 pm

jamesb63 wrote:Excellent and informative report and pics :clap: :clap: the ground everywhere is sodden
I was in the Momores yesterday and it was the same :lol:

Thanks James :) You are really dedicated to the mountains now :D Well done in Mamores :clap:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Petr Dakota » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:31 pm

Guinessman wrote:Up in Kintail for a week from Saturday and intending doing this route albeit a bit later in the day! Thanks for posting.

You are welcome, hope the report can help you :) and hope the weather will be good enough... enjoy the mountains there and stay safe :wink:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:02 pm

Some nice characterful hills there, Petr. I particularly like the look of Ciste Dubh.

I feel for you ref. including the sisters: this is one route I've had planned for some time, awaiting good weather (your plus the sisters and maybe one or 2 others). It always seems a pity to leave some out once you're up there.

Have you not considered using a bike to complete these linear routes? I did the South ridge plus the Saddle and Sgurr na Signe this way, and it was so straightforward - I keep trying to persuade people of the benefits of this dual mode of transport - it opens up so many linear ridges!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Petr Dakota » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:34 am

Alteknacker wrote:Some nice characterful hills there, Petr. I particularly like the look of Ciste Dubh.

I feel for you ref. including the sisters: this is one route I've had planned for some time, awaiting good weather (your plus the sisters and maybe one or 2 others). It always seems a pity to leave some out once you're up there.

Have you not considered using a bike to complete these linear routes? I did the South ridge plus the Saddle and Sgurr na Signe this way, and it was so straightforward - I keep trying to persuade people of the benefits of this dual mode of transport - it opens up so many linear ridges!

Thank you mate :)
I was thinking of bike and I guessed the question about the idea will come, but my bike was stolen... :( :( :( ...I did not buy any other bike yet and probably I will not buy this year.
The all north side 1+1+3+3 is suitable to do in one day, the only problem is the distance on the road between the start & finish point for someone who is there solo without staying overnight with return back the same day. If started earlier or the ground is not so wet then the bus is good solution too.
For you going here so far away from England is always better to do some efective multi hills routes as the distance and time get to Scotland and back is long. Then bike & tent is your good friend :wink:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:50 am

Nice to see your back on Scottish hills Petr, I see you followed my route exactly when I did it a couple of years ago, like you I did consider the Sisters but decided agains it, late start and the thought of that LONG walk on the road put me off. Glad you got a lift I'm afraid I was not so lucky see my report on WH. It looked like they were similar days also, I had no views on Ciste Dubh, low cloud coming and going all day. Looks like the cloud lifted for you later. Your photo on the summit of Ciste Dubh I see the sun trying hard to peek through :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby dav2930 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:42 am

Great report Petr. That's a nice set of hills & Ciste Dubh is particularly fine I think. It was much drier when I did these (in opposite direction & without the Corbett) back in July 2003. Amazing that there are still some big snow patches up there! :shock: I sympathised with your dilemma about the Sisters but, as you say, at least you can come back to them and write a separate report with lots of photies! :thumbup: :D
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Jemma » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:15 pm

I think I bumped into you, near Saileag! I'd not long struggled up the path to join the ridge between the Brothers and Sister. It's a shame you didn't get to finish your walk but they're lovely photos - hope you get a drier day next time!
Jemma
Hill Bagger

Munros:28   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Petr Dakota » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:04 pm

Jemma wrote:I think I bumped into you, near Saileag! I'd not long struggled up the path to join the ridge between the Brothers and Sister. It's a shame you didn't get to finish your walk but they're lovely photos - hope you get a drier day next time!

Thanks :) You were one and only walker I met for all day at the end of my route, where you started. I can see you finished the Brothers successfully :clap: You could add the Ciste Dhubh and Am Bathach also :wink: :D but I hope too that you will get it next time in dry condition as the lower slope of Ciste Dhubh was really boggy :wink:
All the best and many more enjoyable hills ! :)
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Petr Dakota » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:26 pm

dav2930 wrote:Great report Petr. That's a nice set of hills & Ciste Dubh is particularly fine I think. It was much drier when I did these (in opposite direction & without the Corbett) back in July 2003. Amazing that there are still some big snow patches up there! :shock: I sympathised with your dilemma about the Sisters but, as you say, at least you can come back to them and write a separate report with lots of photies! :thumbup: :D

Thank you very much :D I enjoyed the hills in the beautiful area 8) Days like that are rare in this "summer" I almost started think that this year is only abot 3 seasons: Spring - Autumn - Winter :lol: but still hope that the drier days will come and maybe will stay longer...I will need it for my biger trips in september - hopefully to Torridon and the North :wink:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Petr Dakota » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:55 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Nice to see your back on Scottish hills Petr, I see you followed my route exactly when I did it a couple of years ago, like you I did consider the Sisters but decided agains it, late start and the thought of that LONG walk on the road put me off. Glad you got a lift I'm afraid I was not so lucky see my report on WH. It looked like they were similar days also, I had no views on Ciste Dubh, low cloud coming and going all day. Looks like the cloud lifted for you later. Your photo on the summit of Ciste Dubh I see the sun trying hard to peek through :D

Hi Rod and thank you :D I looked at your report and I see that we both did really the same route :D and you did it also in july - two years ago, similar conditions... :D 8) Some photos we did from the same place ! :D 8) Sorry that you walked all the distance on the road back to your car :roll: but you got it in good time :clap: :clap: :clap: Atleast the path down, the last descending to A87 looked much better and much drier in the time you walked there as I can see in your photo, glad you got down safely.
From the three usual routes: 3M Sisters, 3M Brothers and 1M+1C we both chose the same two of them...I considered to join the Brothers with the Sisters and make it done in the time for the bus, but then I decided that I will start the Corbett & CD, then continue 3M Brothers and then I will see the chance to do all of them depends of the time and conditions...so now...looking forward to do the Sisters some day later :D 8)
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Petr Dakota » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:00 pm

Some photos from the Czech Mountains ( with my son and my Father ) - just for imagination: :D 8) :wink:
DSCF2364.JPG
DSCF2379.JPG
DSCF2405.JPG
DSCF2433.JPG
DSCF2442.JPG
DSCF2447.JPG
DSCF2466.JPG
DSCF2467.JPG
DSCF2476.JPG
DSCF2482.JPG
DSCF3024.JPG
DSCF3027.JPG
DSCF3028.JPG
DSCF3036.JPG
DSCF3038.JPG
DSCF3073.JPG
DSCF3095.JPG
DSCF3098.JPG
DSCF2390.JPG
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland