walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Mheadhoin

How did you rate this walk?

1 - Uninspiring
No votes
2 - Pleasant enough
No votes
3 - A good walk
18%
4 - Excellent outing
64%
5 - A total classic
18%

Total votes : 11

Beinn Mheadhoin

Postby canisp » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:14 pm

Route description: Beinn Mheadhoin via the Shelter Stone

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Mheadhoin

Date walked: 15/07/2008

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Beinn Mheadhoin route description

On Sunday the 13 July 2008 at 7:45 am, i left the top car park on Cairngorm to hike up Beinn Mheadhoin. First a short walk put me in Coire an t-Sneachda, then a steeper hike/scramble took me to the top of the goat track. Next i headed down into Coire Domhain, on a path on the east side of the river. As the rivers were running high, i crossed to the west bank (no path), then crossed the Feith Buidhe and the Garbh Uisge Mor before the three rivers joined at Grid Ref 000018.

Carn Etchachan

Crossing the Feith Buidhe

Shelter stone crag

Shelter stone crag

Loch Avon

Loch Avon

After looking in at the shelter stone, a good path headed to Loch Etchachan. After a short rest i took the broad south west ridge that leads to the summit of Beinn Mheadhoin. Seeing condition’s were good, but with a lot of high cloud.

Loch Etchachan

Beinn Mheadhoin in the distance

Getting nearer

Beinn Mheadhoin summit tors

Looking west, with Braeriach just visible in the distance

After 1 hour at the summit the next stop was Stob Coire Etchachan, a Munro Top. There is a superb view a few feet south of the summit cairn, looking over cliffs down to Glen Derry. After about 1 hour lazing around here, i headed north west over the ridge and down to another Top called Stacan Dubha. From here about 30 metres north put me on the edge of more cliffs, with the whole of Loch Avon beneath me, for my money the best view of the day. I happily wasted another hour sat here, before the long haul back.

Beinn Mheadhoin summit tor, the easiest/only way up is just right of centre

Loch Avon

Loch Avon with Stacan Dubha on the right

Hells Lum crag and the Feith Buidhe

Shelter stone crag

Shelter stone crag

Going back, i crossed the three rivers after they had become one, to pick up the path i could see on the other side, it took three attempts and i didn’t quite get across dry :? . Once back at the top of the Goat track the hard work was over, and a leisurely stroll back to the car, ended an enjoyable day in the hills :D
canisp

Munros:281   Corbetts:191
Fionas:28   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:213   

Re: Beinn Mheadhoin

Postby Myth » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:11 pm

Lots of nice pictures... and it is a long walk in from anywhere!
Would not have thought of in/out by Goat - especially with the water so high, but then he mid Loch Avon waterfall ascent route is treacherous when wet, so... and the options to the NE or West are even longer!

The Tors are very surreal aren't they!
Myth

Postby canisp » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:59 pm

Cheers Myth

I like the goat track and have used it a few times to quickly access the plateau.

Myth wrote:The Tors are very surreal aren't they!

I’d love to see these tors in winter plastered in snow and ice. I made an attempt in mid April this year from the Linn of Dee, but deep snow and strong winds thwarted me :( , might have another crack at Beinn Mheadhoin this winter.
canisp

Munros:281   Corbetts:191
Fionas:28   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:213   

Postby Old Bill » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:05 pm

Nice pics! Hoping to head that way in September... the Feith Buidhe looks a bit fierce!

Where abouts is the goat track?
Old Bill
Wanderer

Munros:51   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:10   

Postby gaffr » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:20 pm

Goat track....Coire an t-Sneachda ....track up to .1111 at the top of Coire Domhain.
Useful to not be below anyone moving above you....quite a bit of loose rock around.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland