walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Kintail - 2 hills that have everything

Kintail - 2 hills that have everything

Postby Fife Flyer » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:08 pm

Munros included on this walk: A' Chralaig, Mullach Fraoch-choire

Date walked: 30/07/2015

Time taken: 6.1 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1150m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another wait for a weather window, this so called summer has been very frustrating, especially for those of us who set ourselves 'reasonable' targets :lol:
I advertised the fact that I was heading out & got 2 interested parties Tommy & Jelena. Tommy was planning to kip in his van in Glen Shiel and meet us at the start. I had arranged to pick up Jelena in Inverkeithing at 6am, the plan being to start walking at 9am 8) This meant Jelena getting up at 3.30AM and then heading north into Fife, very commendable :wink:
The drive north was uneventful and I pointed out numerous Munro's on the journey along with the parking & start points, sorry to bore you Jelena :lol: Hope you manage to make the short drive to Creag Meagaidh when you are up at Pitlochry :wink:
We arrived at the start point ahead of schedule & Tommy was sitting in his van and waiting patiently, after brief introductions we kitted up and set off. The weather looked OK but out to the west it looked a bit threatening :(
After the short walk along the main road, we reached the small signpost indicating the start of the walk so we then headed uphill. The path was generally pretty good and improved as we got higher, the gradient was unrelenting but not too steep.

The initial ascent with Loch Cluanie in the background

Jelena enjoying the climb

Looking down on Loch Cluanie & across to the South Glen Shiel Ridge

Our first sight of our first target and it's monster cairn

The final part of the ascent up to A'Chralaig

Very impressive cairn

Jelena appearing out of the clag

Tommy surveying the way ahead

Once we reached the summit of A'Chralaig (the highest summit it Kintail), unfortunately the clag was interfering with the views so not too many photo's were taken, apart from a few of the monster cairn. I did consider climbing to the top for a photo but it wasn't overly warm so after a quick bite to eat we set off to our next destination. Jelena set off first and seemed to be on a mission and she said she was struggling on the first climb :lol:

Jelena well ahead

As we set off leaving the monster cairn behind little did we know what lay ahead, initially the descent was a rocky, then we started the long walk along 3 different ridges to Mullach Fraoch-choire. The first part was along a wide ridge, then we descended onto a narrow ridge & the final ridge was a bit like a mini Aonach Eagach. The views for the next hour (between the summits) were incredible, with umpteen summits and steep glens to make you want to stop for more photo's 8)

Tommy about to reach the first part of the descent

The way ahead, not zoomed

The final ridge looking very impressive

The second ridge, with a good path

Looking back, Tommy & Jelena catching me up

Looking back to A'Chralaig

Jelena posing

Looking back

Jelena appearing

Tommy racing uphill onto the final ridge

Once we got onto the final ridge and the approach to Mullach Fraoch-choire we stopped umpteen times to get numerous photo's.

Jelena with a superb backdrop

Tommy waiting for us

Looking back

Tommy leading the way

Don't look down

Hands needed

Posing

Posing

Looking back

Loch Shiel

Zoom to Skye in the distance

Looking back to A'Chralaig

Summit of Mullach Fraoch-choire

Group photo

A couple of caves?

On the second ridge towards the summit of Mullach Fraoch-choire we noticed the small cairn that indicates the descent route. So once we had taken numerous photo's we commenced the journey back to the vehicles, which meant backtracking along the pinnacled ridge to the start of the descent.
The descent was straightforward initially, a zig zag path makes the steep gradient seem fairly easy. The next bit was down steepish grassy slopes, we all had slipping mishaps, luckily Tommy & I managed to prevent ourselves from hitting the deck. Just as I mentioned the fact, Jelena slipped onto her backside :lol: :lol:

It was now a matter of trying to pick our way across the boggy damp ground, it was such a shame that the bogfest tried to ruin what had been a fantastic walk. The last 3km of the walk back are on a track which enabled good progress to be made and it wasn't too long before we were back on the road walking back to the vehicles.
These 2 hills have everything any walker could ask for, nice steep ascent, fabulous views, broad and narrow ridges, a bit of scrambling and unfortunately a bogfest 8)
A big Thank You to my 2 companions for the day, I really did enjoy the day :clap: :clap: :clap:
As usual the forecast isn't great for the next few days, was hoping to head to Fort Bill but that may have to wait :(
So the next outing could be the gathering of the WH clan, really looking forward to that (as usual), let's all hope the summer weather arrives soon :wink:
Last edited by Fife Flyer on Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Kintail - 2 hills that have everything

Postby dogplodder » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:12 pm

I agree these hills have everything you could ask for! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby jupe1407 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:17 pm

Nice one Martin. A cracking pair of hills these, though somewhat traumatic memories for me. I dropped my camera on a rock on A'Chralaig :lol:

I can't remember that exposed-looking path at all. :lol:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby dav2930 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:41 pm

I totally share your enthusiasm for these two hills. I did them on a similar sort of day in August last year and I was well impressed. Loved the pinnacled ridge up to Mullach and thought it would be quite exciting in winter conditions. On the descent I managed to avoid the worst of the bogs by keeping quite high below Coire Odhar, though it was rough, tussocky going - hard on the knees! :lol:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby jelena » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:03 pm

I enjoyed it,too, Martin. Thanks a lot for organising it and for your great report and super photos. And I'm not even going to mention your driving on the way home from that lovely mountain with the adrenaline in your tank! I hope to walk with ypu again. :lol:
jelena
Mountaineer

Munros:30   Corbetts:19
Donalds:3

Postby Graeme D » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:41 pm

The way you're holding those poles up in the air, I'm guessing there was no thunder and lightning rumbling around! :shock:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby simon-b » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:07 am

Two nice hills, Martin, and some good photos from them. Mountains have a habit of frustrating us all when we set targets, so just enjoy great days like these! Jimmy and I did this pair three days before I first met you and Karen at Loch Lochy. Mullach Fraoch-choire was Jimmy's 100th Munro. That boggy walk out put me off the idea of doing the Ceathreamhnan three from the Cluanie. I'm sure there will be a few more weather windows before the summer's over, and you'll be getting up plenty of hills again.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby martin.h » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:13 pm

Nice one Martin, we did these in clag :roll: , it looks like a nice ridge walk between the two and I didn't realise how exposed that path is on the way up Mullach Fraoch-choire. :shock:
Great photo's for a grand day out. :D
Cheers.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Postby tommyatr » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:08 pm

Thanks for a great day out martin and jelena,thoroughly enjoyed the walk.

Cracking report and pics as always, unfortunately I didn't get out again Friday morning as weather was pants.

Until the next one.
tommyatr
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:24
Fionas:25   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Beaner001 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:24 pm

So that's what the bypass path looks like, it was snow when I went over and couldn't see it, funnily enough I'd say it looks worse without the snow :lol: :lol:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby jmarkb » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:30 pm

Nice one! Did these a few weeks ago in much the same sort of weather.
One option to avoid most of the bog is to return to Stob Coire na Cralaig, descend the SW spur, cross the stream gully around the 650m mark, and then making a descending traverse to the end of the track. Also take care on the bypass path - there's at least one section that's ready to collapse.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Driftwood » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:33 pm

jmarkb wrote:Nice one! Did these a few weeks ago in much the same sort of weather.
One option to avoid most of the bog is to return to Stob Coire na Cralaig, descend the SW spur, cross the stream gully around the 650m mark, and then making a descending traverse to the end of the track. Also take care on the bypass path - there's at least one section that's ready to collapse.

A fine walk (weather excepted) and a great pair of hills, these got me hooked on the Kintail ridges last year.

Having kept to the ridgeline approaching Mullach Fraoch Choire (except for one or two sections when returning) to do these, I have to say that the bypass path looks more exposed and scarier :shock: than the scrambling! That may just be me looking at photos compared to being on a hill and filled with adrenaline.

I also avoided the boggy path/track by reversing the path all the way over A'Chralaig, which does add ascent but minimises the length of road-walking.
Driftwood
Mountain Walker

Munros:244   Corbetts:60
Fionas:35   Donalds:27+23
Sub 2000:19   

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:52 am

Despite some cloud this ridge looks amazing and no wonder you had so many happy moments!

I agree that the bypass path is more exposed than the ridge itself. We tried both routes and much preferred scrambling over the rocks.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland