walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben More

Ben More

Postby delberto » Sat May 08, 2010 12:19 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben More

Date walked: 08/05/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1140m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Temp-12 degrees
cloud cover- 3/4
cloud height- 3500 ft
dry under foot
wind- breeze at start point- gusting at top

Greetings folks,

Yesterday, I decided to go up a hill but swayed whether to do the cobbler or alternatively go up ben more and stob binnein. A brief moment of bravado flushed over me and i decided to take my mate up Ben More..... :?
This was his first munro...oh dear.

We arrived at the small wooden sign at 10:00. Had to double back as i missed it the first time.
Upon getting out the car and getting ready it is quite an awsome sight to see the continuous steep rise of this mountain.
I tried in vain to see if there was any points on the climb which leveled off or a place in which I could take a break....errr no. :?
Off we set then...I have to say that I didnt get into the climb as there is no way to warm up at all. From the get go it is up and at em. There is a winding path that goes a mile or so which isnt too bad a start. You then arrive to the gate which then means your on the main part of the climb.
Its at this point that I decided to immidiately cross over the small stream and start the climb up following the stream coming down from the mountaion.
The climb really is relentless and unless your fit or in need of a mental health assessment ( I NEED ONE) you should give it a miss i think.
At around 800mts you will notice the drystone dyke. Follow this and you will come onto a clearly defined path.This is the first path on the climb.Ths path leads you up to the summit. Please note that the wall is there giving protection from the high sloc curraidh corrie. stay to the left of the dyke.
There is a couple of false summits on the way up.
but eventually we reached the top.
The summit is marked by a large cairn and there is a trig point a short distance away.
At this point I decided that my initial decision to attemp to go onto Stob Binnein was a little too adventurous for me.
we also considered the safest way off the mountain. Going down the way we came up looked a bit too steep at points, so we decided to go down to the bealach. At the lowest point on the bealach (gref- nn 433236) we turned to the west and headed down a small stream to ben more glen below.This is a boggy section in places and the path isnt clear.On a point of caution we didnt get on the track at first attemt. Thir is a track before the one your meant to take. This false track takes you aroung rocky steep sections of the mountain.-beware.

Upon gettin into the glen, the walk becomes very pleasnt and after a mile or so you get onto the dirt road and return to the gate that the mountain climb really starts from.
I found this climb to be arduous. A very long slog for me who is built for comfort not for speed.
However, very chuffed that i done one of the harder munros, even although it took over 7 hours 8)
Attachments
S5001762.JPG
view
S5001774.JPG
bealach looking to stob binnein
S5001760.JPG
delberto at top after resucitation...!
S5001771.JPG
delberto & graeme the "pathfider..."
S5001761.JPG
delberto
Mountain Walker

Munros:17   Corbetts:4
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Ben More

Postby Raymond » Sat May 08, 2010 12:24 pm

Nicely done - another one bagged eh?

7 hours...Ouch!

what's next?
Raymond
Hill Bagger

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   

Postby delberto » Sat May 08, 2010 12:29 pm

Yep another one done.

However, Im not a fully fledged munro bagger. But like doing the raymie. Easie :D r ones i will do in future i think...??
delberto
Mountain Walker

Postby Bay Bloke » Sat May 08, 2010 6:59 pm

that looked a tough day! Don't fancy that direct slog up Ben More...

It's on my list for the summer but I think I'll head for the bealoch first, then do both from the 'middle'
Bay Bloke
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat May 08, 2010 9:29 pm

Or you could climb Stob Binnien 1st from Inverlochairg ,not just so steep I"m told then do Ben More,worth a try :)
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Alan S » Sat May 08, 2010 10:05 pm

Good choice for a first munro :shock:
Nice pictures of stob binnein 8)
I was just over the glen doing Cruach ardrain and Beinn Tulaichean and Ben more was covered in cloud for most of the morning so it was a good choice to start later.
Heres a pic of ben more and stob binnein taken at the back of 9 :)
001.JPG
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby monty » Sun May 09, 2010 9:10 am

Hi Delberto,
I done Ben More from the other glen in glorious sunshine. Its a tough climb up initially but your route straight up Ben More looks unrelenting. :lol: Rest assured it must be one of the steepest so well done. Its onwards and upwards for you :D
monty

Postby delberto » Sun May 09, 2010 7:36 pm

monty wrote:Hi Delberto,
I done Ben More from the other glen in glorious sunshine. Its a tough climb up initially but your route straight up Ben More looks unrelenting. :lol: Rest assured it must be one of the steepest so well done. Its onwards and upwards for you :D

Thanks for the support.

i will be going back in the summer to do stob binnein from the glen then directly onto the bealach i think.Its a lovely looking mountain.

see ya :D
Attachments
S5001755.JPG
long slog up- half way up
delberto
Mountain Walker

Postby mountain coward » Mon May 10, 2010 10:00 am

Very brave! Especially for someone's first Munro... that route is wayyy too steep for me - I'm definitely doing it as a round further along the road and including the 2 tops
mountain coward

Postby Raymond » Mon May 10, 2010 4:15 pm

it's his 6th Munro - I dunno how this rumour started that it's his first.

Oh well first or sixth its still a hard slog! :shock:
Raymond
Hill Bagger

Postby Alan S » Mon May 10, 2010 7:30 pm

Raymond wrote:it's his 6th Munro - I dunno how this rumour started that it's his first.

Its no a rumour,was talkin about his mate :)
i decided to take my mate up Ben More.....
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby Raymond » Mon May 10, 2010 11:17 pm

alan s wrote:
Raymond wrote:it's his 6th Munro - I dunno how this rumour started that it's his first.

Its no a rumour,was talkin about his mate :)
i decided to take my mate up Ben More.....

I stand corrected. I agree it was tough for a FIRST munro, :oops:
Raymond
Hill Bagger

Postby abbyscott » Tue May 11, 2010 8:42 pm

Hello Pals

Am planning to Climb the Ben More this Saturday 15th May 2010
all your discussions have been very useful to me to plan my trip
can anyone tell me where to find the small board " To Ben More " where the path begins from the Carpark, and how many hours does it take to do a roundtrip from carpark to summit of Ben More and back again, all your tips will be very useful to me, thanks again

cheers

Abhishek
abbyscott
Munro compleatist

Postby delberto » Wed May 12, 2010 7:17 pm

Hi Abhishek

The sign post is quite easy to miss, but the route and start point is clearly marked on the map. It is a hundred yards or so from ben more farm.
If you are just doing ben more and back you should be able to do it 4- 5 hours depending on which way you come down off the mountain. I recommend you dont come down the most direct route.Instead continue the walk down to the bealach as described in my walk report. Depending on your fitness level consider going up ben more via the glen and then up the bealach.
hope this helps.

del
delberto
Mountain Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland