walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Two airheads walk up Meall a Bhuachaille!

Two airheads walk up Meall a Bhuachaille!

Postby tibo » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:03 pm

Route description: Meall a' Bhuachaille circuit, Glenmore

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall a' Bhuachaille

Date walked: 05/08/2015

Time taken: 3 hours

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Away for the weekend with my fellow airhead Kate. Husbands busy and the plan for the weekend was to drop off my youngest with her 3 friends to the Aviemore Stopover Festival, hang around if we were needed for the weekend and take them back 2 days later! :shock:

A beautiful walk planned with military precision to avoid the rain planned for the afternoon! Apart from my planning/timing skills I am embarrassed to say I am short on map reading skills! I wanted to show how independent and able i am without my better half being about and taking over in a "manly" way! :lol:

We start out as the directions suggest walking to the left of the visitor centre. Within 3 minutes we become confused!!! :roll: :lol: :crazy: The path up the hill has only an orange marker on it when it should have an orange and blue marker! We decide that it looks correct! :lol:

Very soon none of the directions match the walk! :wtf: However it is beautifully sunny and warm at this stage so we are happy!
IMG_3630.jpg
IMG_3632.jpg
IMG_3664.jpg
IMG_3650.jpg

We ascend very steeply and find ourselves at the summit of Meall a Bhuchaille within 1 hour! Between the 2 of us we can't understand what has happened! :?

We meet 2 families at the top whilst we have lunch and soon it becomes clear that we are doing the walk back to front from the directions printed! :lol:
IMG_3642.jpg
IMG_3639_edited-1.jpg

The next 2 hours we descend down and enjoy beautiful and spectacular views. Passing a bothy and a lochan on route.
IMG_3646.jpg
IMG_3648.jpg
IMG_3651.jpg
IMG_3656.jpg

We definitely think this is the better direction to take for a more scenic walk! It takes a while to get back to the start of the route and we look out for the original orange and blue marked post but can't find it anywhere. A bit of head scratching- never mind we have had a fabulous day and we will never work out where we went wrong!!! More importantly we have just avoided the deluge of rain that has started and smile smugly to ourselves whilst enjoying our tea and cake! :D

.....................all becomes clear when writing up this report and mapping our route in comparison with the route on walk highlands. We have taken a slightly longer route around Glenmore Lodge :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :clap:
tibo
Bird-watcher

Re: Two airheads walk up Meall a Bhuachaille!

Postby Fife Flyer » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:29 pm

Great stuff, brought a smile to my face :clap: :clap:
I won't make any navigational comment, we have all had the occasional disagreement with the map :roll:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:13 pm

I can only second what Fifeflyer says; and anyone who says otherwise is likely to be telling porkies...
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby jmarkb » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:57 am

The directions for the start of the walk are a bit odd: I think you need to actually head downhill for a bit to get on the right track. It's easier to find if you start by going up past the Reindeer Centre instead. Even so, this route gains about 70m of height before dropping down again to An Lochan Uaine - you may as well just go straight along past Glenmore Lodge.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby KatTai » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:45 pm

I got confused by that bit as well, I did find the markers though (having picked up a map with the waymarked routes in the carpark).
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Re: Two ai!rheads walk up Meall a Bhuachaille!

Postby RocksRock » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:01 am

I also did some head-scratching on this - couldn't find the marker right at the bottom :crazy: Then when I got to the downhill bit turned left one too soon :oops: . After that, I really enjoyed it - a nice bimble through some pretty woods along a narrow path, joining the main track after a while, rather than the walk along the main hard track all the way to the lochan
RocksRock

Munros:4   Corbetts:7
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:26   Islands:8

Postby Holly Harlow » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:48 pm

A great report and gorgeous photos. Well done Girl Power!
PS when I did this hill, I went to the lochan first, then up to the summit of the Meall. Routefinding was was easypeasy going that way - plus, I was able to sneak in a cheeky early-morning skinny-dip in the lochan...
Holly
Holly Harlow
Munro compleatist

Munros:43   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Hewitts:143
Wainwrights:71   

Postby tibo » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:58 pm

Thanks all for your comments :D

jmarkb - you are absolutely correct about going past the Reindeer Centre initially as we walked past this on our way back. Ideally this would have helped us if it was noted on the route guide.

KatTai - We should have picked up a map at the car park like you. Lesson leant!

Holly Harlow - Lochan skinny dipping in solitude sounds fun. The place was so busy in the early afternoon- not a chance!
tibo
Bird-watcher

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland