walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Blencathra - Hall's Fell and Mungrisdale Common

Blencathra - Hall's Fell and Mungrisdale Common

Postby andy63 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:17 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Blencathra, Mungrisdale Common

Hewitts included on this walk: Blencathra

Date walked: 24/07/2015

Time taken: 4

Distance: 11.5 km

Ascent: 818m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This was the first time I've been up Blencathra. I decided to go up via Hallsfell Ridge.I parked the car in Threlkeld village and headed east along a minor road before turning left up a private road past some farm buildings and onto the open fell. The Hall's Fell path is to the right of Gate Gill.

003 (640x480).jpg
Gate Gill

It's a good path but quite steep and leads quickly up to the rocky ridge.

004 (640x480).jpg

There's a choice of routes along the ridge. I decided to ignore the bypass path and go over the top, and managed to stick to the crest of the ridge most of the way up, but near the top there was a bit I didn't like the look of so I went down and found an easier way.

005 (640x480).jpg

006 (640x480).jpg

010 (640x480).jpg
Summit

007 (640x480).jpg
View back down the ridge

After reaching Blencathra summit the next objective was Mungrisdale Common. This was a rather pointless exercise in 'Wainwright bagging', as it isn't really a hill, and Wainwright himself didn't recommend that anyone should go there.

011 (640x480).jpg
Mungrisdale common

Anyway, just to get a blue dot on the map, I walked over to Atkinson Pike, from where there's a path leading across to the Common. It's downhill nearly all the way, with a tiny bit of ascent to the small pile of stones marking the 'summit'.

012 (640x480).jpg
Atkinson Pike

013 (640x480).jpg
Mungrisdale Common

Although it's not the most exciting of hills, Mungrisdale Common does provide a painless way of getting down from Blencathra.A faint path heading south west from the cairn goes over Sinen Gill and down to join the Cumbrian Way, and then a well made path and a quiet country lane lead back to Threlkeld.

014 (640x480).jpg
Sinen Gill

017 (640x480).jpg
Cumbria Way

018 (640x480).jpg
andy63

Munros:114   Corbetts:8
Fionas:13   Donalds:27+12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:316
Wainwrights:214   Islands:22

Re: Blencathra - Hall's Fell and Mungrisdale Common

Postby dav2930 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:42 pm

Enjoyed that. Hall's Fell or 'Narrow Edge' is definitely one of the best ways up Blencathra - in some ways even better than Sharp Edge, as it's longer and leads straight to the summit. Wainwright describes it as 'positively the finest way to any mountain-top in the district.' :clap:

Does make you wonder why Wainwright included Mungrisedale Common as the subject of a separate chapter in his guide though! :?
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Re: Blencathra - Hall's Fell and Mungrisdale Common

Postby ChrisW » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:38 am

Another little cracker Andy, the shot of the sheep on Atkinson Pike is awesome, the thing looks like it's posing for you :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland