walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Pap of Glencoe (Sgorr na Ciche)

The Pap of Glencoe (Sgorr na Ciche)

Postby daniel » Thu May 06, 2010 9:56 pm

Route description: The Pap of Glencoe

Fionas included on this walk: Pap of Glencoe

Date walked: 25/06/2007

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 742m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Monday, the 25th of June 2007
Sgorr na Ciche seen from Kinlochleven.jpg

We (me; Daniel, and my wife; Judith) had decided to do our first scrambling-climb. I had seen this walk in Collins Scrambler's Guide (book by C. Townsend) and it looked like a great walk to begin with. It was a little bit cloudy that morning. We started at Glencoe Village, walking beside the River Coe under some old Oaks. After 10 minutes we had to turn left, trough a gate. Suddenly we were standing at the foot of the Pap.
The Pap of Glencoe seen from the streets of Glencoe.jpg

The Pap.jpg

Standing at the gate.jpg

A sunny day.jpg

There was a good path at the beginning to climb up the mountain. But the more we went, the more the path dissapeared. Sometimes it was a bit muddy and we had to cross several streams. A couple of times we had to find "the path", when it suddenly stopped. There were great views on our backside over Loch Leven and Glencoe Village. And on our right side into the valley of Glencoe (a little bit of Bidean nam Bian).
Looking back onto Loch Leven.jpg

Looking into Glencoe.jpg

Glencoe Village and Loch Leven.jpg

On the slopes looking towards Glencoe.jpg

The path becomes less steep and the top is very close now. There's a lot rocks and stones and no more plants. We arrive at the foot of "The Nipple" :lol: , in between Sgorr na Ciche and Sgorr nam Fiannaidh. It looked like it was unclimbable. Only steep rock with no path up! We didn't have any equipment for this climb, we'd thought. But coming closer, we decided to begin with some scrambling fot the last 100 meters up. With a little bit of fright of heights we'de scrambled up. Sometimes I had to help Judith and sometimes she had to help me.
Are you ready to scramble.jpg

The scrambling begins.jpg

But we made it to the top! And what a great view. Looking towards Kinkochleven and the Aonach Eagach. And looking over Loch Leven.
Into the deep.jpg

Kinlochleven.jpg

The Mamores.jpg

View from the top over Loch Leven.jpg

View towards  Mam na Gualainn.jpg

So, a great mountain for some first scrambling.
Daniel (The Netherlands)
Tip: Return from the top by the same route. We took the wrong way down, just straight going down. We lost our way and had to stop just a meter above a waterfall! :? scarry!!!
Last edited by daniel on Sun May 09, 2010 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daniel
Rambler

Munros:7   
Fionas:1   

Re: The Pap of Glencoe

Postby Alan S » Sat May 08, 2010 10:26 pm

Nice pics Daniel 8) i like the ones of loch leven
I really fancy this hill and ill maybe add it on when i do the Aonach Eagach ridge :lol:
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby daniel » Sun May 09, 2010 4:50 pm

alan s wrote:Nice pics Daniel 8) i like the ones of loch leven
I really fancy this hill and ill maybe add it on when i do the Aonach Eagach ridge :lol:

I'll remember this one my whole life, because it was my first real climb (with some scrambling). A good idea to add The Pap with The Aonach Eagach. I hope to do the ridge (and maybe The Pap too) in September, when I'm coming to Scotland again. Last year I tried to do the Aonach Eagach, but I was very ill the week before, so I didn't made it. I only climbed Am Bodach. :(
daniel
Rambler

Postby mountain coward » Mon May 10, 2010 9:47 am

It's definitely the best way down from the Aonach Eagach and well worth including
mountain coward

Postby daniel » Mon May 10, 2010 8:48 pm

mountain coward wrote:

It's definitely the best way down from the Aonach Eagach and well worth including

Thanks! I hope to do make a new report in September... What are your next plans for some "scrambling"?
daniel
Rambler

Re: The Pap of Glencoe (Sgorr na Ciche)

Postby mountain coward » Tue May 11, 2010 8:32 am

I'm not a big fan of scrambling but am planning to walk 'The Fisherfield Munros' this weekend and then stay up in Scotland for the rest of the week doing some more Munros... which ones will depend on which area has the best weather I think!
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland