walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Fairfield Horseshoe

The Fairfield Horseshoe

Postby A Drunken Taffer » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:50 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Dove Crag, Fairfield, Great Rigg, Hart Crag, Heron Pike, High Pike (Eastern Fells), Low Pike, Nab Scar

Hewitts included on this walk: Dove Crag, Fairfield, Great Rigg, Hart Crag

Date walked: 11/08/2015

Time taken: 5

Distance: 16.7 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Took a trek out to do the Fairfield Horseshoe. Decent walk, but very little of it without cloud :( .

Took the route from Rydal Church, up to Nab Scar. Which is where I started to ascend into the clag!

Wandered along the ridge path to first Heron Pike, and then Great Rigg; before starting the climb to Fairfield.

Well and truly tested the waterproofs as just as I was climbing onto Fairfield the heavens opened and it tipped it down!

As I was wandering in the mist, it was a bit difficult to choose which cairn was the summit, but took an educated guess at the biggest one, with the shelter :wink: .

From there headed across to Hart Crag and then onto Dove Crag. Having stayed in the Priests Hole for the night a few months ago I decided against a visit, and carried on following the wall down to High Pike.

At this point the cloud lifted; it also lifted on the fell behind me... typical :? . But at least I was given some decent views of Ambleside and Windermere to wander down toward.

After passing Low Crag I descended to the road, before following the footpaths back to Rydal Church.

A nice day out on the fells, even though I couldn't see that much!
:crazy: .
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A Drunken Taffer
Hill Bagger

Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Hewitts:63
Wainwrights:124   

Re: The Fairfield Horseshoe

Postby ChrisW » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:21 pm

Still found some nice moody shots on a grim sort of day Taffer, still a nice round and the closing stages looking down to Ambleside is always a winner :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland