walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sail Mhor, a 5 star route on a 5 star gem

Sail Mhor, a 5 star route on a 5 star gem

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:16 am

Route description: Sail Mhòr, from Ardessie

Corbetts included on this walk: Sail Mhòr

Date walked: 08/08/2015

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 6.88 km

Ascent: 800m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This Corbett had been earmarked for our Saturday walk, The Rodmiester, Mountain thyme, Sunny Speyside and Jelena had identified this wee hill as an ideal one to finish off the weekend and were hoping to get all the walking done before any off wet stuff decided to fall as forecasted for the afternoon. It was decided to go a circular route and not as suggested by walkhighlands head up to the bealach between the Corbett top of Rugh Mheallain and Sail Mhor and it proved a good decision as the underfoot conditions that way was rough and boggy we found out on our return journey to say the least. See route plan for details.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.JPG
We parked the car on the North side of the A832 immediately after crossing the bridge over the Allt Airdeasaidh at Ardessie. Our intended route was to give us the best views of the waterfalls, so we climbed on the West side of the river on the inward journey with the intention of crossing over to higher up after we had climbed Sail Mhor and come off on the East side of the river to enable more photographs to be taken from a different angle.
2.JPG
View of the waterfall from the roadside
3.JPG
Immediately you leave the roadside you have to climb up the rocks, the nearer the river the easier access is gained, some of us took the wrong option allowing Mountainthyme an early advantage to take the lead, I thought at this stage, 'let her touch the summit cairn first this time'
4.JPG
Waterfall with Sail Mhor in the distance
5.JPG
Huge stone slabs gave some advantage points for photographs. Talking about photographs I probably took more photographs on this hill than any other, thank God for digital cameras
5.JPG
Many rock pools to explore, giving more photographic opportunities
6.JPG
Mountain thyme in the lead. The path is feint but easily found with some boggy parts interspaced with rock slabs
7.JPG
More rock slabs, more photographs. In fact there were so many photograph opportunities during this walk you would be able to knock about half an hour off the total time if you were only concerned about climbing the hill
8.JPG
Jelena with Little Loch Broom in the background
9.JPG
Looking back with the exposed river bed in the foreground
10.JPG
Waterfall
11.JPG
Crashing waterfall giving off a good spray
12a.JPG
Evie posing with waterfall behind
13.JPG
Jelena posing with the gorge behind
14.JPG
Heading over to the South East shoulder where if you look up you can see a grassy rake at high level, this was our target to gain access to the broad summit ridge, Mountainthyme leading of course. The Walkhighlands route takes you much further aroundthe South East slopes but we felt the more direct approach was by far the better option. (And it was)
15.JPG
Grass rake where we were headed
16.JPG
Start of the steeper section, but to get steeper still higher up
17.JPG
No bother at all for Evie
18.JPG
Evie at the top of the scramble to the rocky summit, she really loved it! (Suggest staying slightly right in the broad gully rather than up the grassy part on the left especially if wet)
19.JPG
Summit pose with An Teallach behind
20.JPG
Looking back over to An Teallach and the Deargs .
21.JPG
Looking along the stoney summit the actual top towards the left with a cairn and shelter on the right
22.JPG
Theresa already at the summit cairn/shelter
23.JPG
Little Loch Broom from summit (to be continued when I find out how to add further photographs)
Last edited by The Rodmiester on Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Sail Mhor, a 5 star route on a 5 star gem

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:10 am

24.JPG
Evie and I allowing Theresa her special moment at the Summit Cairn on her own
25.JPG
Wonderful summit views 360degrees
26.JPG
Jelena on the summit
27.JPG
Setting up the monkey for the group photograph at the summit
28.JPG
Heading off down the South shoulder the one we would have come up if we took the WH route
29.JPG
Further down the descent with Lochan Gaineamhaich below. At this point there is a path coming up the shoulder
30.JPG
The way to Rugh Mheallain clear to see but we were to be cutting the corner and heading East before it got too wet and boggy, there was no sign of a path further down in any case
31.JPG
Tracking around the South side to be heading towards the Allt Airdeasaidh burn
32a.JPG
Looking up to the part we scrambled up on our walk in
33.JPG
Crossing the river just above where the burn from East enters, some fine crossing points but after a wet spell might be difficult, but we wanted a circular route and to head down the East side of the river gave us this better option for more photographs
34.JPG
A good path for most of the way but muddy in places
35.JPG
Further down the path
36.JPG
Nearly back at the roadside and back at the car. A coffee or tea and cake was on our minds so we headed to Maggies Caf'e near Dundonnell, Closed! and then onwards to the Gift shop at Corrie Hallie, Closed, back to the AultGuish Inn then
1.JPG
After a shower and a drink in the Bunkhouse we headed over to the Hotel for our tea where we were very well looked after by the best waitress/bar person in the world Marketa who always has a welcoming smile for us and everybody else who came into the hotel, another 5 star gem. Now if only more Scottish hotels had people like that!
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Petr Dakota » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:35 am

Another nice report and photos Rod and thanks for advising this Corbett :clap: Maybe I will do it with my Brother as part of our trip to the north with An Teallach if we will be in the area - all depends of the weather as it's one of possibilities :D 8) :wink:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:12 am

I see you covered all my favourite Corbetts in the north :D This one has fantastic views, especially to the "ugly side of An Teallach", shame the day was a bit dull but at least it didn't rain and the clag was above the summits :wink: When we did it, we sat by the cairn for an hour, gazing down to Little Loch Broom...

I never wrote a report on SM, was done well before my WH days, I must dig up my archives and post some old stuff... That is, when I catch up with the current backlog.

We were across the country that day, on Ben Chonzie, and conditions were similar: high grey cloud and quite windy. What a summer! :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Petr Dakota » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:37 am

Petr Dakota wrote:Another nice report and photos Rod and thanks for advising this Corbett :clap: Maybe I will do it with my Brother as part of our trip to the north with An Teallach if we will be in the area - all depends on the weather as it's one of possibilities :D 8) :wink:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby malky_c » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:45 am

Great stuff - definitely need to go and look at that waterfall more closely :D

There's a good loop to be had with this and the Sgurr Ruadh spur of An Teallach I think.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby PeteR » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:42 pm

I can see why you were raving about this hill now Rod. It does look a cracker :D Definitely on my radar now for the next time I'm up that way :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Sunny Speyside » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:06 pm

Always felt this wee hill would make a fine day out, your choice of route Rod and the 'competitive' banter made for a great day out despite the lack of a coffee and sticky bun!

Cheers All
Evie
Sunny Speyside
Stravaiging

Munros:253   Corbetts:62
Fionas:34   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:17   

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:58 pm

Sunny Speyside wrote:Always felt this wee hill would make a fine day out, your choice of route Rod and the 'competitive' banter made for a great day out despite the lack of a coffee and sticky bun!

Cheers All
Evie

Hi Evie, it was great to have you on board, come along anytime, join the laughter squad, get checking out those Corbetts in Torridon :wink: :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:01 pm

PeteR wrote:I can see why you were raving about this hill now Rod. It does look a cracker :D Definitely on my radar now for the next time I'm up that way :D

Hi Pete, but save it for a clear day, for the views alone, it's superb. Maybe iv'e gone overboard a bit about the hill just because it's been such a long time since iv'e seen any summit views, but I don't think so, enjoy, when you do it :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:06 pm

malky_c wrote:Great stuff - definitely need to go and look at that waterfall more closely :D

There's a good loop to be had with this and the Sgurr Ruadh spur of An Teallach I think.

Hi there malky, I trussed you had a good kip, I followed your route up cutting the WH corner a bit, thought if you did it in snowy conditions it would be ok :wink: But when you go back walk along the West side of the stream for the best photographs :D It was nice to meet up with you at last as well.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:10 pm

Petr Dakota wrote:
Petr Dakota wrote:Another nice report and photos Rod and thanks for advising this Corbett :clap: Maybe I will do it with my Brother as part of our trip to the north with An Teallach if we will be in the area - all depends on the weather as it's one of possibilities :D 8) :wink:

Hi Petr, I'm sure you and your Brother will enjoy it, I look forward to seeing your report and photographs or even video :wink: :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:16 pm

BlackPanther wrote:I see you covered all my favourite Corbetts in the north :D This one has fantastic views, especially to the "ugly side of An Teallach", shame the day was a bit dull but at least it didn't rain and the clag was above the summits :wink: When we did it, we sat by the cairn for an hour, gazing down to Little Loch Broom...

I never wrote a report on SM, was done well before my WH days, I must dig up my archives and post some old stuff... That is, when I catch up with the current backlog.

We were across the country that day, on Ben Chonzie, and conditions were similar: high grey cloud and quite windy. What a summer! :lol:

Hi BP, what a Summer right enough there has not been that many good hill days, but when they come along you had better make the most of them. Surprised you didn't join the WH group at Aultguise, but I guess you have done all your local hills :wink: When I started the hills NO WH or Digital cameras, very few photographs taken, graet pity, but making up for it now :lol: :lol: Loved this hill :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:27 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Surprised you didn't join the WH group at Aultguise, but I guess you have done all your local hills :wink:

To be honest, I wanted to pop in... But Kevin was stubborn enough to drag me down to Chonzie... We have planned this one for a few months and he wanted it done and dusted.

We have ticked most hills around Aultguise, apart from Beinn Dearg four but weather wasn't really up for it on Saturday. Kevin works Fridays till late so that day was out of question. We may show up on the next meet (Torridon is not a long drive from home), if I manage to convince my husband! I guess he's jealous and doesn't want to share his adventures with Panther with anybody else :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Sunny Speyside » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:00 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:
Hi Evie, it was great to have you on board, come along anytime, join the laughter squad, get checking out those Corbetts in Torridon :wink: :D

Put me on the team sheet for Beinn Damh :lol:
Hopefully the coffee shop in Torridon will be open, I can highly recommend the lemon drizzle cake :D
Cheers
Sunny Speyside
Stravaiging

Munros:253   Corbetts:62
Fionas:34   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:17   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland