walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn nan Lus with Meall Garbh e-bike from Inverawe

Beinn nan Lus with Meall Garbh e-bike from Inverawe

Postby m3doc » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:02 am

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn nan Lus, Meall Garbh

Date walked: 11/08/2015

Time taken: 14 hours

Distance: 46.5 km

Ascent: 2382m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With a 2 hour drive to get to the start and a potential 24 mile round cycle trip it seemed sensible to attempt both Grahams in the one outing, weather and long day permitting. Ideal for the electric pedal assisted bike :D .

I parked at the entrance to the forestry / estate road NN025317 not aware that a quarter of a mile up the track is a large car park! I set off at 8.30 am taking the left fork stating "No unauthorised vehicles" and right fork in 200 yards. There is a padlocked barrier in a mile with no turning area! The track is quite well maintained, some tarmac and even cat's eyes :roll: (from recycled road scrapings). The track goes up and down over 3 headlands with bridges across R Noe (2.5 miles), R Liver (4.6 miles), third in disrepair at Inverliver Bay bypassed by concrete ford then R Kinglass bridge ( 6 miles) NN079374 with route turning right immediately after crossing then easily up Glen Kinglass for 5.7 miles.

Captainslow's times for Beinn nan Lus seem fast. With my e-bike it took me 2.25 hours for 11.7 miles to the shaky suspension footbridge across River Kinglass which was my start point for both hills. I unzipped off the top of my Avenir triple pannier which doubles as a daysack, ideal for biking then hill-walking.

For Beinn nan Lus I aimed up and to the right towards the skyline notch between Beinn nan Lus and Beinn nan Aighenan below a rising line of slabby crags to reach the easier east ridge at 250 metres. This was slow going due to long overnight soaking wet clumpy grass hiding ankle breaking holes. It may be easier in Spring when grass is dead. It may be possible in drier conditions to go directly up by the stream, though it is steeper near it's top. On reaching the ridge it is 1 mile rising gradually due west to the summit 709m skirting left past half a dozen small lochans just before. Retraced steps to bike.
This took me 2.75 hours then 1.25 hours back to bike, so 4 hours for the 660m climb. Cloud covered the higher peaks so views poor.

For Meall Garbh I crossed the shaking bridge and turned left up the semblance of ATV track then rising right across the field to an open gate in the sheep fence. I aimed for the dip in the skyline then followed the stream up and round to the left before heading to the skyline sheep fence about 400m. Shortly after the sheep fence right angled about 440m and after the first set of crags there is a grassy breach to reach the ridge about 500m. ENE along the ridge bypassing to the right some impressive crags to reach the summit cairn at 701m on 1:25,00 or 696m on 1:50,000 (I omitted to check the height with my GPS as time was marching on 6 pm having taken 2.75 hours for 650m ascent. Retraced steps to bike. Another 4 hour climb.

At 8 pm, with an hour of daylight left, I zoomed off but not for long - the motor kept packing in and shutting down :( I ended up having to push it on uphill sections. Darkness descended - fortunately the front headlight was independently battery powered. I huffed and puffed. There are only two inhabited dwellings on this track. I saw no lights on at Inverliver though Invernoe had one room lit but it was now 10 pm, so I plodded on in the dark pushing uphill when I heard a vehicle approach from the rear. Off course I had no rear warning light on (not expecting any approach from the rear) so frantically waved the front light about to show my presence. It was the gamekeeper from Invernoe with a pick-up truck going to set some vermin traps - he had seen me setting off in the morning at the track end and saw my bike light passing and offered a lift for the last 1.5 miles which I gratefully accepted, arriving at car 10.30 pm.

I tried the e-bike yesterday from Dumbarton along cycle path to Lock 27 on Clyde - Forth canal and it performed ok but with grinding noises coming from the motor at times but at least it did not cut out on the mainly level 22 mile round trip. It has gone to Phillips Cycles in Gourock, the nearest Freego Martin Sport stockist for repair.

PS No major fault found. New chain fitted, gears adjusted, contacts cleaned, rear brake calliper adjusted and as good as new! Thanks to Stuart Phillips.

PPS Turns out the battery was faulty after 2000 miles of use. Whilst still displaying plenty of power available and having used a fair bit, there was just none to power the motor so it just cut out completely - very confusing. A new 15.6 Ah battery at £425 has solved the problem. Transpires it was a fault in BMS (battery management system) which can be purchased on internet for about £40. A new 29Ah battery from China on Aliexpress for £500, if mileage approximately 3 miles per Ah, could give a range 60 - 80 miles.depending on terrain, wind and weight.
Attachments
P1010134r.jpg
Inverawe forestry / estate track
P1010135r.jpg
The car park at 1/4 mile
P1010136r.jpg
Left at first fork by car park
P1010140r.jpg
Padlocked barrier at 1 mile
P1010141r.jpg
Concrete ford to left of disintegrating bridge
P1010142r.jpg
Route goes right once over River Kinglass bridge
P1010143r.jpg
My route rising up right below slanting line of slabby crags to notch between Beinn nan Lus and Beinn nan Aighenan
P1010150r.jpg
One of many small erratics looking over Glen Kinglass to Meall Garbh on left
P1010151r.jpg
Lochans just before summit
P1010153r.jpg
Beinn nan Lus summit
P1010154r.jpg
Beinn nan Lus towards lower Loch Etive
P1010155r.jpg
Beinn nan Lus summit selfie
P1010157r.jpg
Suspension footbridge over River Kinglass for Meall Garbh to left out of picture
P1010158r.jpg
ATV track up left then swinging right to gate in sheep fence
P1010159r.jpg
Gate at top of field then up and right to stream
P1010160r.jpg
Beinn nan Lus from Meall Garbh ascent
P1010161r.jpg
I followed skyline fence round right past the first lot of crags and up a grassy slope
P1010162r.jpg
Small stone on rock at top of grassy slope looking along craggy summit ridge
P1010162r.jpg
Final crags passed on right
P1010163r.jpg
Meall Garbh summit after crags
P1010164r.jpg
Meall Garbh summit looking west to Beinn nan Lus and Loch Etive
P1010172r.jpg
Small stone on rock marking my descent down grassy slope; Beinn Eunaich in centre

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by m3doc on Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
m3doc
Walker

Munros:7   Corbetts:222
Fionas:124   Donalds:29
Sub 2000:54   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:22   

Re: Beinn nan Lus with Meall Garbh e-bike from Inverawe

Postby captainslow » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:49 am

Nice to see pictures from these little visited hills :)
Well done for doing both, I still need to return for Meall Garbh not that it'll be a chore
captainslow
Munro compleatist

Munros:128   Corbetts:45
Fionas:48   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:99
Wainwrights:129   

Re: Beinn nan Lus with Meall Garbh e-bike from Inverawe

Postby ancancha » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:50 pm

Thats sophisticated Biker Hiking :lol:
Shame about the motor, though it does look like a lot of weight to put on a relatively small mechanism, adding in the inclines.
It is part of the future though :!:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland