walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lochnagar at last!

Lochnagar at last!

Postby KatTai » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:53 pm

Route description: Lochnagar circuit, Glen Muick

Munros included on this walk: Lochnagar

Date walked: 16/08/2015

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 930m

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

An early start for today, the target Lochnagar, and perfect timing because as I was just approaching the carpark this big fella was stood there!

2.jpg
Red deer stag, two points short of being a royal stag!

Could there be any better start to a walk? We started early at 6:36am and instead of following my usual route around the loch for the first time I took the signposted path towards Lochnagar. I spotted a few more deer in the distance but most of the herd wasn't on the lower ground, not something I found too surprising when the midge attack started...

At the cottages again there was a signpost for the Lochnagar path and I followed the path through the woods spotting a roe deer buck standing among the trees.

10.jpg
Roe deer buck

The path led out of the woods and towards a ford, this was where the fun started as whilst I was trying to figure out the best way to cross the midges launched their attack! I was surrounded by the nasty things! It was a quick dash across the river and then a mad race uphill to escape the swarm, there was no standing around along this first stretch as the midges would soon start to gather! I spotted a herd of sensible deer at the top of one of the hills, I'm guessing they probably aren't big midge fans either!

Eventually I seemed to lose the midges, and instead found a nice red grouse that was more than happy to pose for a few photos.

19.jpg
Red Grouse

Further up the views started to open out and a slight breeze picked up. The sun was starting to break though, but the glorious sunshine promised on the weather forecast was just fleeting. On the plus side, it meant it stayed nice and cool!

22.jpg

Where there was an obvious marker cairn I took the route to the left for the route to Lochnagar. After climbing some stone steps, Lochnagar was back in sight again! I took the path to the right to head up to Meikle Pap first and was put to shame by Millie...while I struggled up the last couple rocks to clamber up to the top of Meikle Pap she stood watching me in amusement and when called up she simply jumped up in a single go from a standing start making it look all so easy. She cleared at least five foot (my height). Cue smug look from Millie...

40.jpg
Not bad for a dog who is nearly 11 years old!

From the top I could look down at the corrie below and across to Lochnagar. From there it looked a long way round to the summit! It also looked very narrow, but it turned out that look was deceptive.

42.jpg

We returned to the main path and started heading up...and then back down again before heading up again towards the summit across a wide plateau so Millie was able to regain her freedom though we stayed well away from the edge sticking to the left of the marker cairns. The path was clear to see and follow up to a super-sized cairn and from there to the summit.

57.jpg
Summit marker

For a little while we had the summit to ourselves and Millie earned lots of treats for sitting for photos before we started the descent. On the way back down I put Millie on the lead so I could go take a look at the cliffs and they are amazing! The photos really don't do them any justice whatsoever!

59.jpg

67.jpg

The views of the cliffs more than made the trek worth it! We returned to the cairn to head for our downhill route, it was easy enough to see the path running along the side of the Glas Allt.

69.jpg

After the amazing views from the top, I did sort of feel that this path was a bit like being on a stony, gritty treadmill. I was sure my legs were working but I didn't seem to be getting very far at all! I reached some steps which gave a bit of a change, then it was back on the treadmill (though it was becoming increasingly rocky) until I reached the bridge and crossed over to the opposite side of the stream. Shortly afterwards Loch Muick came into view and Millie started getting increasingly excited. She is very familiar with Loch Muick and I think she knew we were heading there.

79.jpg

I stopped to look at the falls before continuing down towards the loch.

80.jpg

There was a good path all the way down to the forest surrounding the big house, and from there it was a race to the lochside as I was getting left behind by a doggy who really wanted to go swimming!

84.jpg

The rest of the route I've done several times, again though it was a race to the boat house (for more swimming). It isn't the most exciting route back but I don't think anything could eclipse those stunning cliffs of Lochnagar anyway! I did consider going the other way, but I could see the route was busy with people and it is much easier to just take the wide road on a busy day like it was today! When I got back to the car 7 1/2 hours later the carpark was full, as was the coach park and the nearest "passing places"! I jumped in the car and left a space free for whoever might come looking for a space, there were a fair few cars heading up to the Loch when I was leaving so there as probably one lucky person who found a parking space!
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Re: Lochnagar at last!

Postby teaandpies » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:20 pm

Some cracking images in this report.

I wouldn't mind getting this one and it's 4 blobby sisters out of the way but I've got a job convincing the girlfriend to drive me all that way there and back :lol:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby spiderwebb » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:28 pm

Beautiful pics, brilliant one of the stag. What a great day for you :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby katyhills » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:38 pm

What a lovely set of photos . The stag was very obliging! :D
I have some similar ones - especially of the waterfall. It's a beautiful area.

It doesn't take too long from Glasgow if you leave early enough teaandpies :wink:
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby teaandpies » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:12 pm

katyhills wrote:It doesn't take too long from Glasgow if you leave early enough teaandpies :wink:

Tell that to the misses :shh:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Postby ancancha » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:50 am

Nice photo of the bearded stag :clap:
I enjoyed the short walk through the woods, but as you say the summit and cliffs are special 8)
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby Petr Dakota » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:39 am

Beautiful photos there from you - as usual :clap: :clap: :clap:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby KatTai » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:24 pm

Thank you very much all for the lovely comments :D It is a great walk and one I will most certainly repeat again! So far this is the favourite of all the (9) Munros I've done so far.

teaandpies wrote:Some cracking images in this report.

I wouldn't mind getting this one and it's 4 blobby sisters out of the way but I've got a job convincing the girlfriend to drive me all that way there and back :lol:

Bribary often works wonders...if not then try blackmail...
KatTai
Wanderer

Postby jamesb63 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:52 pm

Fantastic set of pictures specially the Red Grouse
the Stag looks like a poser :lol:
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

Munros:218   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby teaandpies » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:37 pm

KatTai wrote:Thank you very much all for the lovely comments :D It is a great walk and one I will most certainly repeat again! So far this is the favourite of all the (9) Munros I've done so far.

If you were her what would you take as a bribe?
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Postby KatTai » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:20 am

teaandpies wrote:
KatTai wrote:Thank you very much all for the lovely comments :D It is a great walk and one I will most certainly repeat again! So far this is the favourite of all the (9) Munros I've done so far.

If you were her what would you take as a bribe?

Well there was an adorable pair of eyed-lizards at the reptile shop...I'm probably not the best person to ask for bribe ideas :lol:
KatTai
Wanderer

Postby teaandpies » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:28 pm

KatTai wrote:Well there was an adorable pair of eyed-lizards at the reptile shop...I'm probably not the best person to ask for bribe ideas :lol:

Yeah, yeah you really are :lol:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Postby SecretSquirrel » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:02 pm

Great report and Millie looked to really enjoy that! Excellent pics, especially the stag and then those cliffs :clap: :clap:

Nice to see the route down the Glass Allt too, it looked a solid path down when viewed from the Cac Carn Mor path junction, but it also looked a steep descent when seen from across the Loch.

I remember the Lochnagar midges well. I made the mistake of parking under the trees and they swarmed me when I was getting suited and booted. They were all gone when I returned in the afternoon, however, I was amused when I opened the car door and the swarm flew out :lol:
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Munros:124   Corbetts:26
Fionas:24   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:1

Postby KatTai » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:54 pm

SecretSquirrel wrote:Great report and Millie looked to really enjoy that! Excellent pics, especially the stag and then those cliffs :clap: :clap:

Nice to see the route down the Glass Allt too, it looked a solid path down when viewed from the Cac Carn Mor path junction, but it also looked a steep descent when seen from across the Loch.

I remember the Lochnagar midges well. I made the mistake of parking under the trees and they swarmed me when I was getting suited and booted. They were all gone when I returned in the afternoon, however, I was amused when I opened the car door and the swarm flew out :lol:

Millie had a brilliant time, she loves being up on the hills :D

The route down Glas Alt wasn't as bad as what I thought it was going to be, perhaps because I was expecting to find a really bad steep path I was pleasantly surprised as while it is a steep descent down the falls there is no point at which I would describe it as being a bad or particularly difficult path. Initially when approaching the descent I put Millie on the lead as I was expecting to need to keep her close for going down, but once there I realised it was fine for her to be off lead as there wasn't any bits that I found of particular concern, though I must add she does stick to the path.

At the time I couldn't remember ever having such a problem with midges there! And then I realised that this is probably the first time I've been there in the summer as normally it is a place to avoid in the holidays as it is so busy!
KatTai
Wanderer

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:02 pm

Lochnagar is a cracker any time of the year. Many people just add it to the big 5M circle, but I think it's worth climbing it by itself (it's what we did as well). If you haven't done the adjacent Corbett, Conachcraig, it's well worth saving for a winter outing in full snow conditions (say that, getting to the car park in winter can be tricky :lol: ).

For all those complaining Lochnagar is too far from Glasgow: it's just as far from Inverness! 2.5 hours drive each way and some is done on a narrow B road, where you can't go faster than 30-40mph. That's Scotland for you :lol: :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland