walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Chabhair from Inverlochlarig

Beinn Chabhair from Inverlochlarig

Postby ancancha » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:08 pm

Route description: Beinn Chabhair, from Inverarnan

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Chabhair

Date walked: 16/08/2015

Time taken: 5.39 hours

Distance: 21.7 km

Ascent: 953m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Beinn Chabhair.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After a fun day out on An Caisteal and Beinn a'Chroin I was keen to go back and do the other Munros in what I think of as a mini Glencoe landscape, all be it a very much greener and softer version.
After reading teaandpies report I was a bit put off going up from Inverarnan and james b63 said he did An Caisteal and Beinn a'Chroin from the other side :think:
I'd be missing out on seeing the waterfall doing Beinn Chabhair from this side, but I would get to use my mountain bike, so that would make up for it.
I duly plotted a route using viewranger and google earth and set off late afternoon, just the way I am at the moment. An interesting road in, and a Buzzard flew close in front of me and landed on a boulder nearby, but I was too slow getting the camera out :( I'll get a good photo of a Buzzard someday.
Got to the car park and it is full, but there is some space on the verge nearby, so that's fine. The Buzzard along with another flew back over, but just too far away for my camera to get anything good.
Got my kit on and assembled the bike and started off past all the other walkers who were returning from their days excursions with smiles on their faces :) It was a nice calm sunny day, so every reason to be cheerful.

Through the farm and shortly afterwards disturbed a flock of small birds; wonder what they are :?:
On getting a zoomed up photo I suspect they are humble chaffinches :?:

On wards and inwards along the slow incline, this would be fun on the way back 8) with some nice views opening up and some interesting sheep pens with a bridge over

Met a nice lady on her way back from Beinn Tulaichean and Cruach Ardrain complaining about hot feet and the trudge along the farm track. We discussed mountain bikes briefly. Have to say they really do take all the misery out of these long treks to and from some of the Munros :wink:

Forded a couple of easy streams and through a few gates, this is cattle country, lots of young calves, so no getting between the cows and their calves :!:
I didn't have any issues, everyone was enjoying the warm sunshine although their were a few loud moo's coming from further up the slope

Further along and the young bulls were all separated by another gate, they looked at me, but they were likewise chilling in the sunshine. Still I wired up my mobility allowance on the other side of the fence from them just in case they got curious

Started off up and system one started complaining that it was late and hard going in the pathless terrain, system two kicks in and reassures that we should at least walk up to the bealach after driving and cycling all this way ( I'm reading "Thinking, Fast and Slow" at the moment, very informative, apparently we are all two people :shock: )
Anyway on wards and upwards and the views are inspiring

and a bit further on

Saw a gate on the other side of the Allt a'Chuilinn and was spying an interesting ledge further up which might provide a shortcut :think:

and the nice slab the gate was on

and a close up of the ledge

mmm......

but difficult to say what's on the other side, so continue up the gully and get some interest from a couple of Yellow Wagtails I think

I continued up the relatively easy ascent to the bealach and came across a waterfall which you can more or less walk up, though perhaps a different matter in spate and it did have a few slippery bits

quite good fun though 8)

Continued up to the bealach which isn't taking as long as I'd thought.

A view looking up the final ascent to the bealach

and a view looking down with the other side of the ledge that I'd considered on the right; turns out it would have been fine

Got to the bealach and fabulous views everywhere :D

Over towards Beinn a'Chroin

Over towards An Chaisteal

Directly over the bealach towards the ridge between An Chaisteal and Beinn a'Chroin

I'd made much better time than I thought I would, so carried on up towards the summit of Beinn Chabhair which didn't look that far away, assuming that this was more or less it :?:

Some nice wee lochans and slabs on the way up this section

and views

to the big ridge which my original route s'd it's way up onto, I'd taken a much more direct approach than I thought I would be able to.

The big shelf / ridge looks nothing like it does on google earth, it's really quite quirky and interesting 8)

a nice lochan in the middle

with some interesting plants growing in it.

If I'd stuck to my planned route I'd have walked to the southern end of the big ledge and up from there, but I could see going straight up the small stream on the other side in the middle of the ledge would be easy, so set off for the final few metres of ascent.

Looking back down to the big shelf with the wee Lochan

Found a path not far from the summit on the southern side. This looked promising, wonder if there is an actual path all the way back down :?:

Got to the summit and fine views all around

Ben More in the background

To the North

Lochan Beinn Chabhair

and above :!:
a small boat plane

I especially liked this one to the west with the start of the sunset

which reminded me I need to get back down onto the easier or at least the less dangerous slope on the south side of Beinn Chabhair while there is still plenty of light. The promising path didn't last long, probably just walkers taking in the views on the south side and before heading back down towards Inverarnan.
Oh well I'd worked out my route down and there was plenty of light.

It started fine with an easy and not too steep descent and nice interesting wee Lochans and fabulous views south in the calm evening, Ben Lomand in the background

Then I descended a grassy gully, looking back up

I'd deviated as the terrain didn't look too bad, but there are lots of dead ends with very steep drops which I wasn't confident of getting down

and eventually doubled back at one point and found a gully which led more or less towards the route I'd planned, if I could get down to the lower level of this I'd be saved :D

A look back up

From the lower level the walk is over an extended hay field with a few booby traps, hidden rocks and holes, but generally it's just a slog with a few squelchy bits.

Headed for what looked like the newest piece of man made hoping for a path, but nothing, crossed the stream and a short section back to the bike

phew it's still there and the cattle haven't eaten the handle bars :lol:

Stashed the poles and took on some fluids.
Looking forward to the cruise back to the car, and there's still plenty of light with a very pleasant view back down towards Inverlochlarig

Back at the car in thirty eight minutes from getting on the bike :wink:
Got changed and headed out of the glen past Loch Doine and stopped to try and get an artistic photo

A beautiful end to a nice day 8)
Last edited by ancancha on Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Re: Beinn Chabhair from Inverlochlarig

Postby jamesb63 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:24 pm

Very good report and also some great pics,i would definetly agree this is a better way than
up through the bogs on the other side :clap: :clap:
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

Munros:218   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby 2manyYorkies » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:16 pm

Looks a great alternative to the bog-fest I attempted from the "normal" side. Still have to do it, would quite like to combine with An Casteal / Beinn a Chroin, did that look feasible? For an old codger ...
2manyYorkies
Mountain Walker

Munros:187   Corbetts:22
Hewitts:76
Wainwrights:113   

Postby ancancha » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:57 pm

2manyYorkies wrote:Looks a great alternative to the bog-fest I attempted from the "normal" side. Still have to do it, would quite like to combine with An Casteal / Beinn a Chroin, did that look feasible? For an old codger ...

Definitely 2manyYorkies, indeed it was my intention to combine it with An Casteal and Beinn a'Chroin a week or so ago, but I ran out of light.
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54965
It's definitely drier from this side, see jamesb63 report for Beinn a'Chroin, taking james route up and then back off Beinn Chabhair my route would make a round trip, although you would have some slogging back along the farm track
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54324
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Postby ancancha » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:59 pm

jamesb63 wrote:Very good report and also some great pics,i would definetly agree this is a better way than
up through the bogs on the other side :clap: :clap:

Cheers jamesb63, I'm going to try and get the rest of them from this side as well, good parking and easy access with out too much bog trotting :lol:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Postby teaandpies » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:59 pm

That's more like it, the path less travelled and all that. I enjoyed reading your report and thanks for the mention :wave:

Happy to see you got some cracking views :thumbup:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby ancancha » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:14 pm

teaandpies wrote:That's more like it, the path less travelled and all that. I enjoyed reading your report and thanks for the mention :wave:

Happy to see you got some cracking views :thumbup:

Cheers teasandpies :wink:
Didn't have to put on the gaiters, but leather boots were suitably waxed and remain waterproof. I bought a pair of Salomon canvas boots a couple of years back, supposedly waterproof; they weren't even waterproof on the first day. Canvas is great for the dry hot days when your feet really cook in leather, but if it's wet then leather is the winner every time.
Dry feet definitely improve my humour on a wet walk :D
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Postby teaandpies » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:12 pm

ancancha wrote:
teaandpies wrote:Dry feet definitely improve my humour on a wet walk :D

I will have to invest in boots...again. Starting to get expensive this hill walking business :roll:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Postby ancancha » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:17 pm

teaandpies wrote:
ancancha wrote:
teaandpies wrote:Dry feet definitely improve my humour on a wet walk :D

I will have to invest in boots...again. Starting to get expensive this hill walking business :roll:

I know the feeling teas and pies :(
If you pm me your address I will pop the gaiters in the post as good will, they won't be fully waterproof anymore, but will give some protection against wet grass and heather.
All the best meantime :wave:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Postby teaandpies » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:04 pm

I know the feeling teas and pies :(
If you pm me your address I will pop the gaiters in the post as good will, they won't be fully waterproof anymore, but will give some protection against wet grass and heather.
All the best meantime :wave:[/quote]

Much appreciated pal but I do own a couple of pairs and an expensive set of boots that have let me down twice now but both times the conditions were pretty bad so can't really complain. Since the double soaking they have started to smell :sick:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Postby ancancha » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:00 pm

teaandpies wrote:I know the feeling teas and pies :(
All the best meantime :wave:

teaandpies wrote:Much appreciated pal but I do own a couple of pairs and an expensive set of boots that have let me down twice now but both times the conditions were pretty bad so can't really complain. Since the double soaking they have started to smell :sick:

No probs, I just replaced my Zamberlans after about five years of faithful service, can't believe how many kilometres they'd done :!:
Anyway I thought I'd go for the Meindls with softer leather and wouldn't have to break them in, but they don't give me the support I need.
Bought another pair of Zamberlans and they are great again and no blisters this time :shock: Perhaps it is the boots that break the feet in and not the other way round :lol:
So this past couple of months have been heavy on the outlays :(
ancancha
Mountain Walker

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland