walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Ime and Beinn Luibhean, by the Butterbridge.

Beinn Ime and Beinn Luibhean, by the Butterbridge.

Postby JimboJim » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:15 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ìme

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Luibhean

Date walked: 12/03/2014

Time taken: 4.2 hours

Distance: 8.5 km

Ascent: 1000m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Had done a few wee cycles and walks, but this was to be the first major of 2014, after a longer than desired layoff, after back injury. Knowing there was plenty snow about, I didn't want to take on anything too arduous, or risky, but still wanted the possible chance to give the crampo's a try out, having never gone there (crampons) before. Beinn Ime, being quite close to hand seemed like a decent choice and if too snowy, or too unfit, could maybe manage Beinn Chorranaich?
Got to the layby just above the ruin at Butterbridge, just as a pleasant, more mature couple were about to set off, also heading for Beinn Ime. "Well, if they can do it .......... I'll give them a wee start and I'll soon catch them up." Or, so I thought.
Anyway, I did eventually catch up with them, near Glas Bealach, as they stopped to put on some heavy duty ironwear. Looking at the steep and foreboding shaded rise to the summit, I felt it wise to follow their lead and also looked out the crampons, which would be my first trial with them. Actually, tying them, was the first trial!
DSCF6288_932_768.JPG
Crampons time.

Again, I gave them a head start, to follow their route and soon made my way up, trying to assess the difference made by the crampons, with ice axe also at the ready. Without being too sure, I think they were almost essential and am sure it would have been a tricky, lengthy and arduous climb without them, although a solo chap arrived at the summit, having come up the south side without them. Just about two hours to the top.
DSCF6301_1024_752.JPG
Young ones beat me to top.
DSCF6332_1024_634.JPG
Summit Beinn Ime.
DSCF6330_576_768.JPG
Yours truly.
DSCF6329_950_768.JPG
Beinn Lomond
DSCF6326_1024_740.JPG
Lochs Lomond, Arklet, Katrine.

The views were majestic, in all directions and made up my mind to try for another hill, while I was there, so off I went to make Beinn Luibhean, too. I headed down south side a few hundred yards, then SE'ly down a steeper and deeper, snow covered slope, to the Bealach a'Mhargaidh.
DSCF6357_987_768.JPG
Descent from Beinn Ime.
DSCF6317_1024_686.JPG
Distant Inveraray.

From here it was pretty much west, picking a route up and around and through, some deep snow to the top. From there I headed directly north, down the steep ridge, sometimes using the axe to help with grip, before coming onto the rough, grassy drop to Allt Beinn Ime, paying a quick visit to the ruin at Butterbridge, before heading back to the car.
DSCF6362_1024_716.JPG
Ben Donich from Beinn Luibhean.
DSCF6398_1024_744.JPG
Beinn Ime from Butterbridge
DSCF6384_1024_756.JPG
Big stone, wee ruin.
A well spent four and a quarter hours and it should be noted I made it back before the old couple - though they were planning to do Beinn Narnian and maybe others!
Attachments
DSCF6284_1024_663.JPG
Beinn Luibhean.
DSCF6294_1024_734.JPG
Glen Kinglas and Binnein an Fhidhleir.
DSCF6298_1024_767.JPG
Ben Lui.
DSCF6304_1024_730.JPG
Ben More and Stob Binnein.
DSCF6313_1024_764.JPG
Towards Ben Nevis.
DSCF6314_1024_656.JPG
Cruachan Hills.
DSCF6325_1024_714.JPG
Beinn Narnian.
DSCF6334_1024_639.JPG
Cobbler with the Clyde beyond.
DSCF6389_1024_731.JPG
WCM
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:24   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Re: Beinn Ime and Beinn Luibhean, by the Butterbridge.

Postby Big Jesper » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:28 pm

Cracking pictures jimbo and good report, no danger getting lost there.
Big Jesper
Munro compleatist

Munros:266   

Postby JimboJim » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:04 am

Big Jesper wrote:Cracking pictures jimbo and good report, no danger getting lost there.

Aye, not even me, the great Fiasco De Gama, could get lost that day, that hill.
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby Bubba Ribeye » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:06 am

It's a great wee hill if your looking for somewhere off the beaten track as an alternative to the other more popular Arrochars :-) Great views to the Cobbler from this summit too. I often find you only get to know a hill once youv'e looked at it from one of it's neighbours and from a different angle :-)
Bubba Ribeye
Mountain Walker

Corbetts:1

Postby JimboJim » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:34 pm

Bubba Ribeye wrote:It's a great wee hill if your looking for somewhere off the beaten track as an alternative to the other more popular Arrochars :-) Great views to the Cobbler from this summit too. I often find you only get to know a hill once youv'e looked at it from one of it's neighbours and from a different angle :-)

Aye, you're right, Bubba. Am hoping to get a wee trip in to do A'Chrois sometime. Have you done it? Not sure if best to do via top of Beinn Narnian, or if there is an easier way?
Still haven't managed to bump into you for one of yer namesakes yet :(
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby jmarkb » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:54 pm

JimboJim wrote:Am hoping to get a wee trip in to do A'Chrois sometime. Have you done it? Not sure if best to do via top of Beinn Narnian, or if there is an easier way?

A' Chrois is well defended by forestry on most sides, so it probably is best to combine it with Narnain: it's a nice wander along the ridge between the two. You can then descend via the Allt Sugach: there is a faint path on its E bank down through the trees, or else you can contour back round above the forestry to meet the main Cobbler path again.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Bubba Ribeye » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:29 pm

Hey! Yes .....I approached A'Crois as part of a day out from Narnain summit on a bright sunny day probably the easiest and most scenic route. I came down from the East following a deer track through rough, tufty grass but next time I'll try the steep path down to join the Glen Loin Loop forest path and back that way to Arrochar
Bubba Ribeye
Mountain Walker

Corbetts:1

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland