walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lui and Beinn a Chleibh with a broken heel !!

Ben Lui and Beinn a Chleibh with a broken heel !!

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon May 10, 2010 8:48 pm

Route description: Ben Lui and Beinn a'Chlèibh

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chlèibh, Ben Lui

Date walked: 09/05/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 1006m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Myself and Sparry Legs arrived at Ben Lui carpark at 8.15 am and by 8.40 am had bags on and were ready to go,and can see Ben Lui from across the railway line,
mixed 004.jpg
1st view Ben Lui
,soon across river across railway line and into the trees,where it can be a bog feast,but not to bad and soon get 1st view of the bealach that connects the 2 munros
mixed 005.jpg
,we can see 2 other walkers heading up this way,but we want to climb Ben Lui by it"s NNW ridge,I find this quite steep and soon Sparra Legs has to start waiting for me to catch up,but before to long we are only 20/30 feet from the top with only a mild scramble to get over,Sparra Legs and my 2 dogs manage this easy me,well find a foot hold with right foot and push,mmm sharp pain in right heel,but get to summit with brill views.
mixed 007.jpg
Ben Cruachan
mixed 008.jpg
Ben Oss and Beinn Dubhcraig
mixed 009.jpg
Someone starting fires
,quick stop for lunch and pic of me at summit,don"t wait to long as ankle getting stiff,
mixed 011.jpg
me at summit
,drop down to the bealach and that links the 2 munros,and struggle up to Beinn a Chleibh with great views back to Ben Lui
mixed 012.jpg
Looking back to Ben Lui
,get to summit,and just to make sure we are a the right top we wander along the flat top to furthest away cairn and then back for summit pic
mixed 014.jpg
Me and Breagha And Kerry
,by now I am only plodding at snails pace
mixed 015.jpg
Wait for me Sparra Legs
mixed 016.jpg
Long way back to car
,anyway after a wee struggle and Sparra Legs giving me lot"s of encouragement back we get back down to the tree line where I take last pics back up the glen[attachment=1]soon back at the car and need to get Sparra Legs to drive home,get quick wash/change and of to A&E where I find my heel is broken :( :(
Attachments
mixed 019.jpg
Ben Lui
mixed 017.jpg
Col at head of Fionn Choirrein
mixed 022.jpg
1st view Ben Lui
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Re: Ben Lui and Beinn a Chleibh with a broken heel !!

Postby kinley » Mon May 10, 2010 8:51 pm

:( That's a real downer

You in a stookie? :(

How long out of action :( :(
kinley

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon May 10, 2010 8:56 pm

Nae stookie :) nice big bandage though :) doc said not a new break,seams had for a while,and was just waiting to go,back to hosp on fri should no more by then hoping only out for 4/5 weeks max :) thanks for asking kinley
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby mountain coward » Tue May 11, 2010 8:43 am

Wonder how on earth you broke your heel? And why it only decided to tell you when you were half-way round a round of 2 Munros? :(

Great informative pics for me though as I need to do this route fairly soon - thanks :D
mountain coward

Postby davidmhodgey » Tue May 11, 2010 1:21 pm

I read somewhere that gangsters are no longer breaking knees, they're breaking heels because knees can be reconstructed/fixed, but there's been little advancement in heel prosthetics. So there you go. Maybe some mountain gangsters did it when you were sleeping
Last edited by davidmhodgey on Tue May 11, 2010 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davidmhodgey

Munros:83   Corbetts:3

Postby Alastair S » Tue May 11, 2010 1:38 pm

You're going to have to change you ID to gammy footed walker :(

Sounds painful - hope the recovery goes smoothly mate...
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue May 11, 2010 9:44 pm

Like I said MC not a new break,seams because I"m the gammy leg walker been compensating by always leading on my descent with my right foot to take the weight of my gammy left knee,and this how the damage has been done,funny thing is can"t ever remember it going the 1st time,glad you liked the pic"s,would have taken more but foot was giving me gip the 2 munros will be a skoosh for you MC if you head directly for the lowest part of the col between the 2 hills,then you can see which one you want to climb 1st :) Hi alistar s Gammy Leg Walker will be fine :) hope to be back in action in 3/4 weeks (may be a bit optamistic),thanks for asking :)Yip doc said a broken heel was a bit out of the ordinary dmh just my luck thanks for the reply :)
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby mountain coward » Wed May 12, 2010 9:08 am

That's horrid about the gangsters :( :o :shock:

I'll probably take the route you did as the ascent of Ben Lui up that ridge looked okay last time I saw it... then I'll do Beinn a' Chleibh and return via the col. I prefer to do a proper round rather than an up and back if possible.
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland