walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dun Rig dun right

Dun Rig dun right

Postby U059361 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:55 pm

Route description: Dun Rig Horseshoe, Peebles

Fionas included on this walk: Dun Rig

Donalds included on this walk: Birkscairn Hill, Dun Rig, Glenrath Heights, Stob Law

Date walked: 11/08/2015

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 23.5 km

Ascent: 941m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Good parking at the start of this walk as per WH. You can tell you have arrived by the 'No Parking beyond this sign'. Could get 5 cars in here anyway and room for creative parking too. Pretty straight forward slow climb up the drove road up and over Kirkhope Law and Birkscairn Hill. Went over all the tops on the way up, just for the views.
ImageThe walk ahead to Dun Rig and back by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageGlanrath Heights and return route by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageBirks Cairn by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
3 hours later was having lunch at the top of Dun Rig. The walk through the peat hags had been OK, nothing too bad that couldn't be avoided.
ImageDun Rig trig point by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Once over Dun Rig the path slowly fades away to a faint track, a sure sign that the going isn't great. Resist the temptation to keep close to the fence and cut over at the head of the valley losing a little height on the way. If you don't the going gets pretty wet and boggy. You can tell I'd strayed a bit too high. :roll:
ImageThe route over to Glenrath Heights, Pikestone Hill etc in background by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Once back over at the fence climbing Glenrath Heights is much easier going. I thought twice about going to Stob Law, but the thought of another wee blue balloon convinced be. It was easier than it looked.
ImageView over to Stob Law by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Once back over, the short cut goes through another boggy bit so watch your step and your direction to avoid the worst. The path disappearing is always a bad sign and it does so here. Across the fence again and the track comes back.
ImageThe return route from Scawd Law by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageThe final descent by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
It is a long but firm walk down to the farm track along the valley back to the car park. Once on tarmac then you are in the gentrified countryside of the estate. There is a donation box for walkers to consider, if they have enjoyed the walk they can make a donation for riding for the disabled. OK I did. :crazy:
Glad to get back to the car in the regulation 6 hours. Naismith time is possible for me down here it seems, must be getting fit at last. :wink:
U059361
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:38
Fionas:20   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:5
Islands:32

Re: Dun Rig dun right

Postby SecretSquirrel » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:09 pm

That's a great round, especially when the weather offers up views like you got.

I remember the boggy route you describe going from Dun Rig round to Glenrath Heights. I think I roughly followed some ATV tyre tracks while dodging around the worst of the watery areas. I'm sure I cut across away from the fence corner and it was still very wet!

Thanks for posting. Its good to see those views again.
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Munros:124   Corbetts:26
Fionas:24   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:1

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland