walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cul Mor, what fun!

Cul Mor, what fun!

Postby Nicki85 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:35 pm

Route description: Cùl Mòr

Corbetts included on this walk: Cùl Mòr

Date walked: 10/06/2015

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 13.5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had a week in Assynt and was desperate to get up one of those big hills but the weather was not in my favour :( I refuse to make all that effort to see nothing but cloud at the top!! We made the most of the best day and decided on Cul Mor. I will also apologise now for using incorrect terminology, I am a "novice" when it comes to trekking up mountains...

So, we (as in me and my two dogs- Shae and Rusty) parked at the geopark fairly early and crossed the road to the decent stalker path that led the way. Good views from the outset.

My Spaniel loves looking at the views, unfortunately he's so nutty that the small cars in the distance look like rabbits so he has to stay on lead!

The nice path soon faded out and we wandered through lots of small rocks...

the rocks became bigger and more frequent...

Although no clear path there were lots and lots of cairns marking the route so I wasn't worried yet!

We then met the "bottom" of the peak. There was a lovely loch so we spent some time having a drink (well the dogs did). and survived the little ridgey bit we had to go up next.
How pretty is that?!

The clouds were putting on an amazing show so we took our time...

Next, we came to "boulder field" literally, like a beach storm break thingy... Massive rocks! I was a bit worried and almost turned back. Two dogs, lots of rocks with big gaps, potential for broken limbs etc etc. Anyhow, I decided to go for it... and we survived! Hurrah!

I spy with my little eye...

Yay!

Having not seen anyone else on the way up it was a surprise when a couple came up the other way 15mins after I had arrived! Anyhow, we swapped cameras and took party summit photos and we made our way down "trying" to follow the route.

Unfortunatley the weather had run out and we had cloud...
On mars

We lost the path we were supposed to take and meandered our way down closely watching the GPS. We soon found the path again and all was good in the world :)

This handsome lad was waiting for us at the bottom

We had a fantastic walk!

Nicki85
Mountaineer

Re: Cul Mor, what fun!

Postby litljortindan » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:34 pm

Cloud can add a lot to pictures -some good ones there. Been up a couple of times via the bealach and once via the north ridge which, to my surprise, had a good path most of the way up.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Cul Mor, what fun!

Postby dooterbang » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:42 pm

A week in Assynt...bliss, even in the rain, cloud and winds. Incase you didn't know, I love Assynt :wink:

Well done on getting up one hill. The weather has been rubbish this year!

Picked up on your "moon" description. I also felt like I was walking in another world a few weeks back when doing Ben More Coigach. The whole area is like no other...just wished I lived a bit closer.

Thanks for posting - good first report :D
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland