walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Windy day on Sail Mhor

Windy day on Sail Mhor

Postby jacob » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:56 pm

Route description: Sail Mhòr, from Ardessie

Corbetts included on this walk: Sail Mhòr

Date walked: 05/05/2015

Distance: 12 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This hill seems to be a lesser visited hill, which I think is a pity, I loved it.

SAM_0300.jpg
Following the burn upwards, heading south

SAM_0301.jpg
There's several waterfalls, all of great character.

SAM_0302.jpg
Another waterfall, Sail Mhor in the background.

SAM_0308.jpg
The landscape is wide and vast.

SAM_0314.jpg
Maybe I liked this hill because as a Dutchman I can appreciate the open landscape :)

SAM_0320.jpg
At a burn, you turn right towards the bealach. Once there, the view towards the west opens up

SAM_0322.jpg
On the way up the weather starts deteriorating, very strong wind

SAM_0324.jpg
Finding shelter on the west face of Sail Mhor, against the very strong wind, hail and snow. In the background the slog up to the summit.

SAM_0331.jpg
But we did make it to the first summit

SAM_0334.jpg
and to the second.. Over my shoulder my lady at the first summit

SAM_0335.jpg
on the way back, viewing backwards

SAM_0342.jpg
Last view on Sail Mhor and one of the many waterfalls.
jacob

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:19

Re: Windy day on Sail Mhor

Postby WalkingDutchman » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:48 pm

jacob wrote:This hill seems to be a lesser visited hill, which I think is a pity, I loved it.

Agreed. The views from the top are stunning, if you're lucky enough to get half decent weather. I'd actually suggest you do this one again with a bit clearer weather, because I spent more than an hour on the top just drinking in the views :D
WalkingDutchman
Wanderer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland