walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Third Munro with Grampa!

Third Munro with Grampa!

Postby AbbsFooty » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:40 pm

Route description: Mount Keen from Glen Esk

Munros included on this walk: Mount Keen

Date walked: 19/08/2015

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 17.54 km

Ascent: 735m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We (Me, Grandpa, Mum, Harris and Ben) were all looking forward to a lovely day at the hills. I was expecially pleased to come up from England on a rare visit throughout the year and have the time to do an amazing Munro with my Grandpa. As we arrived my Grandpa pointed out that the clouds were just rising from the tips of our Munro, ready for us, when we would reach the top to see the most magnificent views!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.JPG
Family awaits the journey up the Munro. We were eager to see the beautiful views.
1a.JPG
All happy as we walked along the wet path (from the rain the night before).
5.JPG
I was in the lead for a while, i loved the sight of the wild heather all around me!
1b.JPG
As I approached the first river crossing, the easiest out of the three, I hurdled along the stones trying to follow a path. I looked to my right, there Grandpa was stepping across the water in his hillwalking boots not having a care in the world about the consequences. I though to myself "This what happens when you become a proffesional!"
1c.JPG
A mile later and we were still on the long wet path amongst loads of beautiful nature. To our left we saw sheep next to a riverbank and in the background a large steep cliff face.
1d.JPG
I was very happy to see the stone well beacause my Grandpa had said to me before the walk had even started, to look out for the "old stone well."
1e.JPG
I was really getting used to my grandpa's hill walking poles now, i had taken them for the whole journey. we had reached the cottage. The cottage is rented out as a holiday home out amongst monro's.
1f.JPG
My grandpa standing amongst a very spectacular background!
1g.JPG
After a steep incline of more than 600m, i stormed ahead of everyone and reached the top of the summit. Grandpa stopped to chat to some passers by, i knew that was my chance to storm past! He even zoomed in for this photo.
1h.JPG
As the others were quite far behind, me and TheRodMeister decided to take this oppertunity to have a selfie. As it was windy (no suprise!), we are not looking our best!
1j.JPG
When Ben arrived, coming third after racing Harris up the hill, he decided to sit on top of the cairn. Soon after he did decide to jump down and grab a jumper and some shelter!
1k.JPG
At the top of the summit, I was VERY cold as you might have noticed. The others didnt seem quite so cold!
1ka.JPG
The family at the top of the summit! Lovely to have a nice photo of the family
1l.JPG
On the track home!
AbbsFooty
Mountaineer

Munros:3   
Fionas:1   

Re: Third Munro with Grampa!

Postby teaandpies » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:47 pm

I wish I had a grandfather that would have do stuff like this with me when I was young.
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby Sgurr » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:12 am

I wish I had grandchildren that I could drag away from playing Minecraft. Did force them to climb a hill for 50th wedding anniversary picnic, but it was only tiny. The grand-dogs like walking better.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:10 am

I consider myself to be a lucky Grampa having a Grandaughter like you who likes to climb the Scottish Hills, it helps to keep me young and fit :D Until the next time AbbsFooty, remember to tick your box so your blue balloon can be added :wink:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby RiverSong » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:48 pm

Enjoyed your report Abbsfooty, it was great to see your lovely family enjoying themselves in the Great Outdoors, although it does look very cold on the summit!!

Your Grampa doesn't half work his way round the hills, must be great to have your very own personal mountain guide to keep you all safe!!

Hope you manage to post again soon, take care till then :D
RiverSong
Walker

Postby AbbsFooty » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:31 pm

teaandpies wrote:I wish I had a grandfather that would have do stuff like this with me when I was young.

Yeh, it really is amazing to have such a fit Grandpa that will do everything with me. Whatever I want to do, he will do and can do!
AbbsFooty
Mountaineer

Postby katyhills » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:50 pm

What lovely reports! Great photos - especially so many smiles :D

I wish my girls would show some interest in hillwalking, but sadly no sign of it!
I can barely remember doing Mt Keen but I do recall it being very straightforward so perhaps I can persuade mine to have an outing when we're on holiday soon :)
I should really try doing a report as I've just reached my 100th Munro.

Hope you get to tick many more blue balloons :D
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby AbbsFooty » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:04 pm

Sgurr wrote:I wish I had grandchildren that I could drag away from playing Minecraft. Did force them to climb a hill for 50th wedding anniversary picnic, but it was only tiny. The grand-dogs like walking better.

Hahha. I bet they will eventually come off minecraft when they are older! They just need to find something on the hills that they like and then they will really enjoy it. As you can tell I am not the most experienced hill walker with three Munro's done, but I love it now! :D
AbbsFooty
Mountaineer

Postby AbbsFooty » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:07 pm

RiverSong wrote:Enjoyed your report Abbsfooty, it was great to see your lovely family enjoying themselves in the Great Outdoors, although it does look very cold on the summit!!

Your Grampa doesn't half work his way round the hills, must be great to have your very own personal mountain guide to keep you all safe!!

Hope you manage to post again soon, take care till then :D

Thank you very much, lovely to hear from you again, it has been quite long :D
It was lovely to get out with the family! My grandpa is the most fittest man on earth, give him a challenge he will do it easy. It's great to have him around, very comforting! Yes I am back in England now but I am going to try and come up to do another Munro soon. Maybe I will do some hills in england in the meantime! Thanks for the reply :D
AbbsFooty
Mountaineer

Postby AbbsFooty » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:12 pm

katyhills wrote:What lovely reports! Great photos - especially so many smiles :D

I wish my girls would show some interest in hillwalking, but sadly no sign of it!
I can barely remember doing Mt Keen but I do recall it being very straightforward so perhaps I can persuade mine to have an outing when we're on holiday soon :)
I should really try doing a report as I've just reached my 100th Munro.

Hope you get to tick many more blue balloons :D

Thank you Katy! My age you could persuade them a bit more :D yes Mount keen is quite a easy Munro, exspecially if you want to do it only in trainers-not hill walking boots, I think your girls will love it! Congratulations on your 100th Munro, what an achievement. As you can see I am quite far behind you there!
Yes you should go ahead and do some reports!
Thank again :D
AbbsFooty
Mountaineer

Postby jac the lassie » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:37 pm

That's a great report abbs! :clap: Cracking views. Your incredibly luck to have a grandpa that enjoys being out and about.
Jac :D
jac the lassie
Hill Bagger

Munros:73   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:24   

Postby AbbsFooty » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:45 am

Thank you Jac! I am very very Lucky :lol:
AbbsFooty
Mountaineer

Postby Bogmyrtle » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:44 am

I wish I could be fit enough to go with you. Love the pics too.
Bogmyrtle
Ambler

Postby spiderwebb » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:10 pm

Echo the sentiments of Teaandpies, there, wonderful that you can share such memories with your grandpa :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby AbbsFooty » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:03 pm

spiderwebb wrote:Echo the sentiments of Teaandpies, there, wonderful that you can share such memories with your grandpa :D

Yeh, you are both exactly right! My Grandpa is so fun to walk with, I am very lucky! :D
AbbsFooty
Mountaineer

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland