walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Magnificent Seven

The Magnificent Seven

Postby Beaner001 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:21 pm

Route description: South Glen Shiel Ridge: 7 Munros

Munros included on this walk: Aonach Air Chrith, Creag a'Mhàim, Creag nan Dàmh, Druim Shionnach, Maol chinn-dearg, Sgùrr an Doire Leathain, Sgùrr an Lochain

Date walked: 18/08/2015

Time taken: 11.15 hours

Distance: 29 km

Ascent: 2028m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

For those old enough the below will make some sense, the bold caption is my thoughts prior to attempting this!

Calvera: What I don't understand is why a man like you took the job in the first place, hmm? Why, huh?
Chris: I wonder myself.
Calvera: No, come on, come on, tell me why.
Vin: It's like a fellow I once knew in El Paso. One day, he just took all his clothes off and jumped in a mess of cactus. I asked him that same question, "Why?"
Calvera: And?
Vin: He said, "It seemed to be a good idea at the time."

Along with it seeming a good idea, It's not often all plans fall into place perfectly, the weather looked great the nearer you got to Skye, Eric was up for the trip as a repeat as he did it in terrible rain a few years ago and both our cars are used to dogs being in them so we could utilise them at either end, what for it but to take on the Magnificent Seven the South Glenshiel Ridge :D

I met Eric at the Cluanie Inn at 8.30am and we went over the route so I was familiar with it then we dropped my car at the layby just before Malagan Bridge then we drove back to the Cluanie to start the walk, East - West direction.

photo 1.JPG
Sign at the start of the landrover track after the bridge

photo 2.JPG
Lovely inversion along Loch Cluanie facing East

We walked along the land rover track south over the bridge at the end of Loch Cluanie and round Strath Cluanie where we left the track at the style over the deer fence at Drochaid an Uillt Ghiubhais.

photo 3.JPG
The style over the deer fence, Eric's Tarsuinn climbed up and over it unaided

Things looked to be misty but it was simply an inversion that burnt off really quickly and then we got the most magnificently clear day. The path was boggy but we followed it till it petered out then it was a case of zigging our way up the grassy slopes. We made the ridge and took a rest, as Eric was taking pictures a wee old lady passed us and was terribly scared of the dogs, they never went near her but she told me from a distance that she was petrified of dogs so we called them in closer to us so she could pass. The poor woman went off at a rate of knots and obviously did have a fear of dogs, its the first time I've encountered that but it's a lesson for me that not everyone is so comfortable meeting the mutts on the hills.

photo 4.JPG
Made it up onto the ridge looking West

Once I'd rested up we popped up to the first summit of the day, Creag a'Mhaim.

photo 5.JPG
Summit Creag a'Mhaim

The views along the Loch Cluanie and of course the SGR were awesome, also we could see to Ben Nevis and surrounding mountains, the brothers and sisters of Kintail, the Cuillins on Skye and all the way to Torridon - Fantastic. To the South I got a great profile of the mountain that was my hundredth (Gleouriach) and the one that got away (Spidean Mialach) only to get taken at a later date :lol:

photo 7.JPG
Spidean Mialach (left) & Gleouriach (Right)

While we were walking a Hercules flew down over the end of Loch Cluanie and round the end of Creag a'Mhaim, we hoped it would swoop round and back up Glen Loyne and it did, how ofter can one say they took a picture of a Hercules from above the plane? Eric got a few great pics of it but mine never really came out too well due to the zoom not being great.

We walked on towards the next summit, after reaching Druim Shionnach we had another rest, I couldn't believe the views today, how lucky we were.

photo 9.JPG
Second Summit Druim Shionnach

I wouldn't say the ridge is boring but today I was unconsciously concentrating on all the wonderful views around, ahead and behind, therefore the ridge seemed insignificant compared to the grandeur of the Scottish Highlands. We could also still see the Cluanie Inn, this made you think you had not travelled far at all, in fact we had but the SGR towers over the road and the glen below.

photo 10.JPG
Cluanie Inn still in sight

photo 11.JPG
Looking East back along the ridge

At the third summit was Aonach Air Chrith, we stopped briefly and admired the shoulder edging away from the ridge Druim na Ciche, it was stunning.

photo 13.JPG
Manky dugs third summit

I was conscious that if I stopped at every summit for a rest (as my body wanted me to do) then we may well take a long time to finish so I tried to press on when we got to summit no 4 :lol:
While walking over the top of no 4 (Maol Chinn-dearg) we got great views down into Glen Quoich, we could hear the noise from the machinery down below which were working on the hydro schemes I presume, what a mess they are making of the landscape down there :?:

photo 12.JPG
Loch Quoich and the Glen Dessary Munros

photo 15.JPG
The SGR ahead

photo 16.JPG
and behind from which we've come

photo 17.JPG
approaching fourth summit

The dogs found some wee lochans to plooter in and they all cooled down by having a wee swim. I allowed myself a stop on the fifth summit (Sgurr an Doire Leathain) and wile there Eric pointed out the wonderful ridge leading up to Sgurr a'Mhaoraich, one i'll likely try in winter as it looked great :D

photo 18.JPG
Sgurr a'Mhaoraich

photo 19.JPG
Fifth Summit

The views were now opening up to Gairich, the Glen Dessary Munros and of course the wonderful Knoydart, we got great views into the mountains our friend Dave (Spiderwebb) had been on a few days prior, Eric pointed out his routes when he did it and also the route he thought Dave had taken, it sure does look a wonderful place - can't wait!

By now I was counting down the Munros still to do, not that I wanted the day to end but I was starting to feel the effects of the previous trip to the Ring of Steall and the fact that today was really warm and I was guzzling water like it was going out of fashion.

The sixth Munro was the best aesthetically of the SGR, it's pointy summit is of the same name as the Lochan below in the Corrie - Sgurr an Lochain.

photo 20.JPG
The end is in sight

We stopped up there for a bite to eat and the dogs got some treats and wee wine gum as a sugar boost. It was here that Eric and i started harbouring thoughts of adding the Corbett at the end of the ridge on too. TBH i wasn't sure I'd manage but i felt that since we were now up here we'd be as well going for it. I would decide on the last summit.

photo 21.JPG
Bypass round sgurr beag

The descent off the sixth Munro was steep but the dogs found more wee lochans to swim in and cooled down before we made the last summit.

photo 22.JPG
Final Summit Creag nan Damh

photo 23.JPG
Sgurr a' Bhac Chaolais ahead

I was feeling fine so we checked the map and decided we'd go for the Corbett. I was out of water but Eric had half a pint and we hoped this would keep us going till the descent where we'd cross the Eas a' Chait stream to replenish. We followed a wall once off the summit of Creag nan Damh to the Bealach Duibh Leac where we dropped the packs and i trooped up to the presumed Corbett.

photo 24.JPG
Scrambly section after final summit before meeting the wall we followed

The ground is rather rough following the wall on a faint path which is littered with boulders and care had to be taken. There was a couple of ascents and descents before the final pull to the summit where i was met by Eric taking photo's of the lovely evening sky. I lay on the summit for ten minutes while i caught my breath and then we admired the views to The Saddle and neighbouring Munro and of course the wonderful Forcan Ridge.

photo 25.JPG
Sgurr a' Bhac Chaolais summit, Forcan Ridge in background

photo 26.JPG
Forcan Ridge

photo 27.JPG
Ladhar Bheinn

We trooped back to the bealach and the bags then made our way down to the Eas a' Chait for a much needed water stop. Soon we were back at the car after being attached by the dreaded midge!!

photo 28.JPG
Back to the road and the car

Everything went great apart from me realising we'd in fact not bagged a bonus Corbett, the summit we had made had been demoted a couple of years ago and it's neighbour is now classed as the Corbett being 29cm higher :shock: :lol: Ah well, it means we get to go back for Buidhe buggering Bheinn :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Re: The Magnificent Seven

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:55 pm

Hi Beaner001 - I was hoping to do this ridge walk this year but with less daylight now it's looking more and more like next year - hopefully I'll get a similar day when I eventually get round to it.

I love the pic of the "manky" dogs on summit 3 and by summit 5 they have all had a good wash and are looking like they are about to start the walk.

It may not have been a Corbett but I'm impressed that after 7 Munros you would look to add a Corbett on at the end (the legs must be in good shape).

I've seen differing thoughts on the descent, I know your route would be a little different by adding the hill on at the end but how did you find it??
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby Beaner001 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:14 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Hi Beaner001 - I was hoping to do this ridge walk this year but with less daylight now it's looking more and more like next year - hopefully I'll get a similar day when I eventually get round to it.

I love the pic of the "manky" dogs on summit 3 and by summit 5 they have all had a good wash and are looking like they are about to start the walk.

It may not have been a Corbett but I'm impressed that after 7 Munros you would look to add a Corbett on at the end (the legs must be in good shape).

I've seen differing thoughts on the descent, I know your route would be a little different by adding the hill on at the end but how did you find it??

Yeah plenty wee lochs up on the ridge for them to cool of in 8)
Well not exactly in fine shape but getting there, i was determined to try help Eric get a new hill for the day but not to be :(
Re the descent:
We came down the same way as you would after finishing the SGR.
I found it ok although I got cramp so was slow initially compared to Eric till it got flatter, it's not the best path and according to Eric is a nightmare in heavy rain as a couple of streams that get treacherous in spate to cross. In conclusion it probably didn't seem bad yo me as I got ideal conditions, maybe don't go after a spell of heavy rain, hope this helps mate.....
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Postby spiderwebb » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:27 pm

Epic Matt, its a big day this one but well done. I remember being told there are few walks where you do 7 in a day, hmm not so methinks, but true enough for 7 in a straight line, well near enough :lol:

I must have descended by the route you mention streams in spate, as they were, remember hanging off a fence to get past a lot of bog too, the joys :D

All 4 springers sitting well, must be the other two that are the bad influence :D

And yes Ladhar Bheinn, I was that soldier :lol:

PS Eric needs to keep his Corbett count healthy, then again his Wainwrights and others are looking a tad weak too :lol:
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby martin.h » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:12 am

Hi Matt, well done, its a fantastic day out and you got the weather and the views.
I like the shot of Spidean Mialach, we've still to go back to get that one, one day next year, hopefully.
Congrats on the new job by the way, we hope it works out for you.
Any thoughts on Torridon w/c 6th Sept? Liathach is beckoning :shock: :D :lol:
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Postby electricfly » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:05 pm

Oh ffs! Can't believe you would incriminate us with your first photo. We are clearly breaking the estate law.

What about the welfare of the deer?..

...of which we saw, not a single one. Probably because those looking out for their "welfare" having been pumping them full of bullets eh? :roll:

Matthew, always a pleasure!

That Hercules we were standing above...

Zoomed

Staged photograph...

The reality...

Matthew shows the dogs his twist, or was it Gangnam style?

The very sight of nearby Loch Quoich inspired the boys to continue the latest trend of "swimming the munros"! :lol:
electricfly

Munros:282   Corbetts:34
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:45   

Postby PeteR » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:49 pm

Any report on the SGSR brings a smile to my face.................what as like I've had such fun on that ridge myself :oops:

It is a great ridge and you all look like you all had a superb time on it to :thumbup:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Giant Stoneater » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:31 pm

[quote="Beaner001"]
photo 1.JPG

A person with a total disregard for signs,why do dog owners think they are a law unto themselves,maybe they should have shot the dogs rather than the deer.
Nice report and a fine day for that round.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby electricfly » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:26 pm

Giant Stoneater wrote:
Beaner001 wrote:
photo 1.JPG

A person with a total disregard for signs,why do dog owners think they are a law unto themselves,maybe they should have shot the dogs rather than the deer.

As stated, no deer as far as the eye could see, all day. Not that it would have mattered as all four dogs display excellent obedience/recall and can be controlled using close control techniques as the need arises. If by the "law" you mean the Scottish Outdoor Access Code, then you will know that keeping your dog under "control" is the requirement.

The dogs on this walk were all very much comfortably under control throughout, and I find your suggestion that they be shot rather offensive.
electricfly

Munros:282   Corbetts:34
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:45   

Postby Petr Dakota » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:48 pm

Well done Matt :clap: :clap: :clap: Another great walk - nice ridge walk 8)
Glad that you had good weather and visibility...I missed all the views when I did the 7M SGS Ridge in June...nice to see atleast by your photos :clap: 8) :D
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby Beaner001 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:38 pm

spiderwebb wrote:Epic Matt, its a big day this one but well done. I remember being told there are few walks where you do 7 in a day, hmm not so methinks, but true enough for 7 in a straight line, well near enough :lol:

I must have descended by the route you mention streams in spate, as they were, remember hanging off a fence to get past a lot of bog too, the joys :D

All 4 springers sitting well, must be the other two that are the bad influence :D

And yes Ladhar Bheinn, I was that soldier :lol:

PS Eric needs to keep his Corbett count healthy, then again his Wainwrights and others are looking a tad weak too :lol:

It defo felt an epic for at least a couple of days after :lol:
Cheers Dave

martin.h wrote:Hi Matt, well done, its a fantastic day out and you got the weather and the views.
I like the shot of Spidean Mialach, we've still to go back to get that one, one day next year, hopefully.
Congrats on the new job by the way, we hope it works out for you.
Any thoughts on Torridon w/c 6th Sept? Liathach is beckoning :shock: :D :lol:

I can't really commit for Sept just yet Martin, see how the new job starts mate, text me your plans tho :D

PeteR wrote:Any report on the SGSR brings a smile to my face.................what as like I've had such fun on that ridge myself :oops:

It is a great ridge and you all look like you all had a superb time on it to :thumbup:

Read your two reports Pete, I like your style lol, great reads, glad you liked my version :lol: :D

Giant Stoneater wrote:
Beaner001 wrote:
photo 1.JPG

The sign is of little relevance as their is no law stating dogs need to be on leads in Scotland, the law relates to acting responsibly and keeping under close control, if farm animals were present they would have been put on leads as that's acting responsibly but as It happens all we saw all day were a handful of mountain goats. Also re the law of shooting dogs, farmers don't necessary have a right to shoot dogs, " Under the Animals (Scotland) Act 1987, a farmer, in some cases, has the right to shoot your dog if it is worrying animals"
http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/Practical-guide/public/dog-walking
Thanks, glad you enjoyed the report and hope it's of some use to others in the forum :wink: :D

Petr Dakota wrote:Well done Matt :clap: :clap: :clap: Another great walk - nice ridge walk 8)
Glad that you had good weather and visibility...I missed all the views when I did the 7M SGS Ridge in June...nice to see atleast by your photos :clap: 8) :D

Cheers Petr, got the title idea from your report of the same and it made sense since we got such a great day :D

Cheers for a great day Eric, great pics as usual, hopefully catch up next week bud :D
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Postby ancancha » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:50 am

Good visibility for a nice walk, that's a very interesting photo of the Hercules :clap:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby 2manyYorkies » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:15 pm

We get signs about keeping dogs on leads all over the NY Moors. My Border Terrier walks with me off the leash all the way without me having to ask her to behave, just basic training. Walks past sheep and cows keeping her nose out of it. Anyone suggesting she gets shot would **** me off too.

Your fab mutts obviously been trained the right way as well, and you've got them well trained for those summit poses! Do you breed them? Put me down for a pup if you do!

Great report. :clap: :clap:
2manyYorkies
Mountain Walker

Munros:187   Corbetts:22
Hewitts:76
Wainwrights:113   

Postby thomsok » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:27 pm

Quite a day, still not done anything on this side of Glen Shiel, drove past here the other week and they were looking fine - will need to try them soon!
thomsok
Mountain Walker

Munros:176   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   Islands:28

Postby Beaner001 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:36 pm

ancancha wrote:Good visibility for a nice walk, that's a very interesting photo of the Hercules :clap:

Yep, Eric has a quality camera but it was still wonderful to see with the naked eye, especially being above the thing :lol:

2manyYorkies wrote:We get signs about keeping dogs on leads all over the NY Moors. My Border Terrier walks with me off the leash all the way without me having to ask her to behave, just basic training. Walks past sheep and cows keeping her nose out of it. Anyone suggesting she gets shot would **** me off too.

Your fab mutts obviously been trained the right way as well, and you've got them well trained for those summit poses! Do you breed them? Put me down for a pup if you do!

Great report. :clap: :clap:

I won't be breeding mine but Eric bred his oldest Alfie whom is the most canny dog I've ever met :D His other dog is Tarsuinn whom is Alfie's son, Eric May breed from him again in the future and I'm sure he'll let you know if this happens :D
Cheers mate

thomsok wrote:Quite a day, still not done anything on this side of Glen Shiel, drove past here the other week and they were looking fine - will need to try them soon!

Yeah it's one I'd been putting off for some reason but when I was made aware of the fine weather forecast I just had to go for it, a fine day all round, cheers
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland