walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Paths - Pah

Paths - Pah

Postby Backpacker » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:32 pm

Route description: Càrn Eige and Mam Sodhail

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Fhionnlaidh (Càrn Eige), Càrn Eige, Màm Sodhail

Date walked: 22/08/2015

Time taken: 11.5 hours

Distance: 28 km

Ascent: 1900m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walked this with David Main, we agreed to meet up at Chisolm Bridge the night before so we could get a good early start and boy would we need it.

As everyone knows the track through Gleann nam Fiadh start offs good then descends into a horrible bog trot, I 1st experienced this back in April and yesterday founf out that it doesn't really get much better further on :lol: but there's plenty of water features in the river to keep your mind semi off the bog.

ImageDSC_0005 by GaryE1872, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0010 by GaryE1872, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0013 by GaryE1872, on Flickr

We followed the path up to the plateau below Sron Garbh and not paying attention, then went the wrong way :D , nothing for it we just decided to walk/crawl up the south east ridge, despite the rather vertical ascent in places there was some avalanche devastation to have a look at.

ImageDSC_0020 by GaryE1872, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0021 by GaryE1872, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0023 by GaryE1872, on Flickr

Finally we arrived at the summit of Sron Garbh and out entire day was almost set out in front of us, Beinn Fhionnlaidh was just of view (we actually mistook An Socach for it :shock: ) the walk along the ridge was delightful which gave the legs a good rest after the initial slog. as Dave had Roxy (his dog) with him we decided just bypass the pinnacles. Pretty soon we were on the last wee pull to Carn Eige. Once at the top we took in the views had a bite to eat and also had a few choice words when we saw the rather substantial loss in height when looking over to Beinn Fhionnlaidh.

ImageDSC_0025 by GaryE1872, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0030 by GaryE1872, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0035 by GaryE1872, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0039 by GaryE1872, on Flickr

Oh well nothing for it, we made our way down the rather steep descent towards the bealach, bit of care required with the loose rocks but pretty soon we were down. We left or rucksacks next to a rock before heading over to start the climb. It was a bit of a slog to begin with but leveled out soon enough and quickly we arrived on the summit. The views from up here were breath-taking, down Loch Mullardoch, north to Torridon, Fisherfield, The Fannichs. South at this point was starting look a bit grim but the showers would hold off till later.

ImageDSC_0042 by GaryE1872, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0046 by GaryE1872, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0047 by GaryE1872, on Flickr

After the usual photo's we heading back to collect our bags then the next bit of hard work would begin. We followed a "path" which promptly disappeared, we headed up slightly and picked up another one, which disappeared. Rather than continue to go looking we just traversed the hill upwards towards the bealach below Mam Sodhail, this required a bit more effort as we had to cross quite a few rocky patches when suddenly we ended up on another path which had come up from below us. God knows where it started but it was a god send at that time as the legs were starting to really feel heavy.

ImageDSC_0059 by GaryE1872, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0058 by GaryE1872, on Flickr

Once at the bealach we had another rest before the pretty quick but steep ascent up to the very impressive cairn at the summit. Again it was photo's, take in the views before we headed off down the ridge. It was brilliant to be finally be on something more undulating and it didn't take us long to get over to Sgurr na Lapaich.

ImageDSC_0061 by GaryE1872, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0062 by GaryE1872, on Flickr

By this time the rain had started so cameras were away in rucksacks and the slow steep slog downwards began, I've never got on with poles for hillwalking but by God I wish I had taken one, my knees were screaming at me at times. Once down at the boggy section we just made a direct beeline for the prominent bend in a track which would take us back to the cars.

Despite having 2 cars neither of us had thought to take one to the Glen Affric car park until we were well into the walk :lol:

Rest of my photos can be found here https://flic.kr/s/aHskiP12KA
Last edited by Backpacker on Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Re: Paths - Pah

Postby spiderwebb » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:35 pm

Great pics and a good day for it too. Love this walk but it was only when I repeated a few months back I remembered how big a day it is, I was pooped :lol: I guess the memory had faded, at least for some things :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Backpacker » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:41 pm

spiderwebb wrote:Great pics and a good day for it too. Love this walk but it was only when I repeated a few months back I remembered how big a day it is, I was pooped :lol: I guess the memory had faded, at least for some things :D

The pair of us were almost broken by the time we got back, going the "wrong" way up Sron Garbh at the start probably didn't help, the round is definitely on my repeat list :D

I've never been so thankful for cruise control and an empty A9 for the drive back :lol:
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Postby Fife Flyer » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:54 pm

Looked like a cracking day Gary, would have joined you but was down south :wink:

After reading your WR this route will be a high priority now :lol: Paths are a constant topic of conversation, I can never understand how you can be following a good path, then hey ho it just disappears :roll:
As for the bog fest, it seems that all hills are saturated especially on the lower slopes and more so in the west :(
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby Backpacker » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:03 pm

Fife Flyer wrote:Looked like a cracking day Gary, would have joined you but was down south :wink:

After reading your WR this route will be a high priority now :lol: Paths are a constant topic of conversation, I can never understand how you can be following a good path, then hey ho it just disappears :roll:
As for the bog fest, it seems that all hills are saturated especially on the lower slopes and more so in the west :(

We did have a cracking day, thankfully the clag didn't roll in till we were down, the 1st mishap happened because we weren't paying attention and went up completely the wrong ridge :lol: :lol:

This is one to be saved a good day as the views are outstanding
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Postby ancancha » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:31 pm

Thats some cairn :!:
Nice slo mo of the waterfall, and other photos as well :clap:

Yes cruise control essential for me as well at the end of an arduous walk :roll:
Get in, press the go button and aim in the right general direction, before you know it you are home :D
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby litljortindan » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:08 am

In the seventies (!) I had a pleasantly coloured Bartholemew map of the Scottish Highlands with Mam Sodhail coloured in grey over a large area, larger than any other hill labelled so to me then it was a place of mystery and, checking, I see it is the highest hill north of the great glen. Plus it looks a great walk! A bit long for me at the moment but good to get a reminder that it is there.
http://maps.nls.uk/view/74467010
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby basscadet » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:22 pm

Brilliant photos Gary, really enjoyed :D

Looked like a long way.. makes me think that I'll have to take my tent back there when I go. I had a cracking night on the ridge, just below Fionnlaidh :wink:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland