walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn na Lap, a Winters Tale

Beinn na Lap, a Winters Tale

Postby spiderwebb » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:37 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn na Lap

Date walked: 21/02/2015

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was only after watching Scoobs excellent film of Bod and Vals compleation (I wish I could have made it :( ) it reminded me of my trip this fabulous hill, back in February, so slightly out of this time of year for the report with things being a bit different at that time of year. But hopefully a taster of this winter coming :D

But such days are a delight, days to yearn for and reminders of similar days, whilst in winters of late, crisp days have been too few, but many stand out as special, Drumochter, Beinn a Chaorainn , Sgurr Gaoith, Beinn Mheadhoin, and Beinn Liath Mhor into Coulags just a few winter epics :D

My day started from Fort William for the train to Corrour, a stunning start to the day where I noticed some impressive waterfalls on approach to the corner where we turned towards the Easains, must see if they are reachable at some point.

WH1.jpg

The light provided for some beautiful shots as I ascended the lower slopes looking back to Loch Ossian. Only one other gent left the train ahead of me (plus 3 ladies also doing Beinn na Lap) but he was off for bigger things as I found out on the return.

WH2.jpg

My lonely footprints on ascent looking back down across the frozen land to Corrour.

WH3.jpg

The summit crest is reached fairly easily and soon the summit comes into view.

WH4.jpg

Views back towards the Easains, stunning.

WH5.jpg

It was a bright day, goggles required and the braveheart gear :lol:

WH6.jpg

The 3 ladies were unsure which route to descend in the deeper snow so I held back to ensure they were ok before I descended in the usual fashion sliding down most of the way on my backside. Knight in shining armour syndrome :wink:
View back to the summit crest with the ladies behind.

WH7.jpg

And eventually back to stunning views of Loch Ossian

WH8A.jpg

The station comes back into view.

WH9.jpg

Happy days in winter wonderland.

WH10.jpg

Whilst awaiting for the train the gent who had sped off at the start returned, his mission aborted. He was aiming for Ben Alder but was beaten back by the deep snow beyond Loch Ossian. A challenge indeed as the mileage alone to Ben Alder from Corrour is significant, I was suitably impressed he had tried.

Winter has always been my time of year, a combination of the remoteness when much of mans visible existence is wiped away, covered by the snow, and the more challenging environment. A reminder that everything we may take for granted when walking in summer is taken to the next level in winter conditions. That we are puny in this environment and such winter endeavours must involve more rigorous planning of routes, equipment, but worth it all the more, to break away from the routine of daily life even just for a moment. Enjoy :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Re: Beinn na Lap, a Winters Tale

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:53 pm

A bit weird in August but enjoyed that - some great photos of your day.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby spiderwebb » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:57 pm

Gordie12 wrote:A bit weird in August but enjoyed that - some great photos of your day.

Had to laugh meself but seeing the compleation reminded me I never posted these winter shots. Besides I've looked at enough out of synch for the time of year, forgetting they are in order by virtue of replies to posts, opened them up, thinking how did they get weather like that :lol: :lol:
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby ancancha » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:01 pm

Was gonna say spiderwebb :!:
Kinda hoping that we would get some nice Autumn days before the darkness of winter :roll:
Still some nice photos and good to here others take advantage of the derriere descent :lol:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby dav2930 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:14 pm

Can't beat Winter days like that! Hoping to do those Corrour hills sometime soon. Let's hope we get plenty of sunshine and snow this Winter...
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Beaner001 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:43 pm

Aye the winter is certainly your season, however in the depths of the dark winter can we expect you to cheer us all up with a lovely bright summer story? :lol:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland