walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lin of Dee to Braeriach (rtn) - 13 hours, 6 Munros

Lin of Dee to Braeriach (rtn) - 13 hours, 6 Munros

Postby tombombadilio » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:37 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Bhrotain, Braeriach, Cairn Toul, Monadh Mòr, Sgòr an Lochain Uaine, The Devil's Point

Date walked: 22/08/2015

Time taken: 13 hours

Distance: 46.8 km

Ascent: 2108m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hello fellow walkers. This is my first post. I'll try to keep it brief.

Had only a few days up in Braemar and wanted to see as many of the Cairngorms tops as possible. Devised a plan, based on mrssanta's report of '3 days 6 hills…' (thanks!), but condensed into one day.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This is what transpired…

0500: Up, faffed about. Ate jam slathered butteries and drank tea - breakfast of champions - while listening to Braemar's best and only radio station.

0600: Left Braemar lodgings.

0615: Arrived Linn of Dee car park. Ticket machine shattered the peace of the forest while dispensing my ticket (sorry car sleepers). Who designed these machines?? Zinc Oxided my heels and toes to hell (2 month old boots still giving me jip).

0630: Set off, battle speed (not running, just walking with purpose). Pursued by midges (more to follow).

0800: Arrived at ford at foot of Carn a' Mhaim (didn't want to waste time heading up to Luibeg Bridge and then back south). Made the mistake of stopping to look for the optimum crossing point. Midges gathered en masse and attacked. I took a lot of hits but I took a lot of them out too. They just… they just kept coming though. I ain't goin' back there, not never…

0900: Corrour Bothy. Passed a jolly, bobbled-hatted, naked man performing his morning ablutions in the Dee. Small penis. It was cold, I'll give him that. Several tents pitched, it being Sat morning I guess. Didn't stop. To the Devil's Point!

0930: Scrambling up rubbish excuse for a path to the south side of Allt a'Choire Odhair, midges take revenge. Clever girls (and boys). They knew my hands were out of action. All the way to the bloody top too. No wind. Carnage. Lesson: don't copy the people in front of you (four guys ahead of me chose this path and I was a sheep). The map indicates a path which splits, one section heading up the north side of the stream. Apparently this is better, less scrambley.

0945: Sat on top of the Devil's Point (Adam Watson says this name is a euphemism for the Devil's Penis). Amused and chuffed. Sky clearing.
Devil's Point.jpg

Chat with two guys about weather and how to get a space in Corrour Bothy, German style (get there early and roll out your sleeping bag before going out climbing). I thought bothies were for emergencies anyway?

0950: Great views over to Stob Coire an t-Saighdeir. Cracking on.
Stob Coire an t-Saighdeir.jpg

1100: Cairn Toul. Views, looking either way along the ridge - just can't express it. Can someone express it? Surely poets have seen this stuff. The scale of it all is quite overwhelming, especially when you're there on your own. Photos don't do it justice either, especially not my ones.
Ciarn Toul.jpg

Angels's Peak from Cairn Toul.jpg

Lochan Uaine from Cairn Toul.jpg

An inquisitive little fellow joins me for a snack, the first non-midge wildlife I've encountered that day. He's sporting some trendy yellow and red bird anklets. For upholding the standards of fashion even in this wilderness, I reward him with half an oatcake.
Snow Bunting.jpg

1130: Sgòr an Lochain Uaine. Just, bloody, waow. Corries, corries everywhere.
Sgor an Lochan Uaine.jpg

Practical hat on. I'd calculated that if I wanted to reach Braeriach, smell the roses a bit, with enough time to get back down for Monadh Mòr and Beinn Bhrotain and be back home for a reasonable hour, I'd need to get across to Braeriach by 1330 at the latest. The only thing stopping me would be the overwhelming need to stop and look back and take photos of that ridge:
Ridge from way up to Braeriach.jpg

1300: Braeriach. Claggy. A couple of sorry looking huddles of people sit around eating pieces, like extras from The Road.

Now, I'm not comparing myself to Jesus, let's get that straight. All I'm saying is why did the clouds part when I arrived?
From Braeriach.jpg

Double, bloody, waow. What must this be like on a cloudless day let alone a mixed day like that? I think I would cry or vomit or faint or something. Some kind of psychosomatic reaction.

Anyway. Ate my pieces. Drank my drink. Consulted my navigational instruments. Plan was to head via those cairns that dot the west side of the plateau via the Wells of Dee, from where I would also quaff.

1315: Heading off Braeriach, the summit is engulfed again by clag. I'll let you decide, but I think twice is enough to prove that it's no coincidence.

Passing by the Wells of Dee, I see this:
Weird thing.jpg

Any ideas? A north point I thought for disorientated peeps, but I'm pretty sure it was pointing westish. Or is it some kind of devil's trident… Had I gone too far with my heretical thoughts...

Exact timings from now on are a bit hazy.

1530: Monadh Mòr. Summit a bit forgettable.
MM summit.jpg

But en route spied my first reindeer in Clais Luineag including an albino/normal white coated reindeer? Sorry Snow Bunting dandy, you've been upstaged today.
Deer from afar.jpg

Deer near.jpg

1630: Beinn Bhrotain. Cracking views from the bealach into Coire Cath nam Fionn.
MM to BB bealach.jpg

Unfortunately summit clagged out.
BB summit.jpg

Getting off that mountain was fun - tired, poor visibility, slow moving due to boulder fields.

Can't remember if it was Carn Cloich-mhuillin or Carn Fiaclach I popped up on the way down, but one has excellent views, a nice wee cairn and some very ergonomically positioned/shaped boulders.

1800: Reach the path that runs along the south side of the Dee. Extremely hard to find and stay on the path/paths which come southeast off Carn Fiaclach. Knackered. Throbbing feet. I thought I could actually hear them throbbing. Also swore that I hallucinated White Bridge several times. Tired people, this is what to look out for:
White Bridge.jpg

1800-1940: Pursued relentlessly by midges from White Bridge to Linn of Dee. Forced to jog some of this in, which is a shame as I wanted to have a closer look at the abandoned townships that dot the glen here. One hell of a final walk though, never-ending.

Final time for the day:
Time.jpg

Give me blue skies and zero midges, that'd be a perfect day. As it was, I was pretty chuffed.
tombombadilio
Walker

Munros:261   Corbetts:24
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:8
Islands:17

Re: Lin of Dee to Braeriach (rtn) - 13 hours, 6 Munros

Postby Gordie12 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:33 pm

Great effort :clap: :o :o

I'm glad you liked my bobble hat - not sure I appreciate your other comment but as you say, it was cold (only kidding, I wasn't in the area :lol: ).

Found this really interesting as I still have Devils' Point to Braeriach to do and although I intend to do them from the north I was aware of this option so good to see your timings.

Thanks for posting.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby teaandpies » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:43 pm

The Road is a great film.

That Watch is retro.

What an epic day out.
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby tombombadilio » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:57 pm

teaandpies wrote:The Road is a great film.

That Watch is retro.

What an epic day out.

It is, the book too. Glad you got the reference.

Thanks, had never considered that. Best £15 I ever spent.
tombombadilio
Walker

Postby teaandpies » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:02 am

tombombadilio wrote:
teaandpies wrote:The Road is a great film.

That Watch is retro.

What an epic day out.

It is, the book too. Glad you got the reference.

Thanks, had never considered that. Best £15 I ever spent.

So I've been told. Maybe I should check it out :thumbup:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby tombombadilio » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:13 am

Gordie12 wrote:Great effort :clap: :o :o

I'm glad you liked my bobble hat - not sure I appreciate your other comment but as you say, it was cold (only kidding, I wasn't in the area :lol: ).

Found this really interesting as I still have Devils' Point to Braeriach to do and although I intend to do them from the north I was aware of this option so good to see your timings.

Thanks for posting.

Cheers Gordie,

Phew! But you know what? I didn't even look, just added it for dramatic effect. Whoever you are, apologies - I'm sure you have an average sized penis. Anyway...

This was a hard slog and at just over 13 hours, not perhaps as enjoyable as if I'd dawdled a bit more. The walk in and out were real killers.

Is it much easier/shorter from the north? Haven't looked into it. I still have Cairn Gorm, Bynack More and Beinn Mheadhoin to get from the north.

All the best,

Adam.
tombombadilio
Walker

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland