walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glenshee 6 - plus a wee bit more!

Glenshee 6 - plus a wee bit more!

Postby JimboJim » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:20 pm

Route description: Glas Maol Munros circuit, Cairnwell Pass

Munros included on this walk: Cairn of Claise, Càrn an Tuirc, Creag Leacach, Glas Maol, Tolmount, Tom Buidhe

Date walked: 13/08/2015

Time taken: 6.8 hours

Distance: 27.7 km

Ascent: 1310m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Time for another outing, as the boys were getting itchy feet. Usual late dilemma's over weather, journey's and route's was sorted the night before as we opted for a big day, out at Glenshee, opting to do the Glas Maol circuit, taking in Tolmount and Tom Buidhe along the way. I had a map for the Glas Maol hills, but not for the other two, relying on a WH print off to help, if needed?
Early start for us. Half four departure, got us ready to set off about 0740. We chose to park up the top, in the layby on the right, beyond the Cairnwell. A bit tricky to spot, but if you pass and see a big layby on the left, you have gone too far.
Glenshee 6 001_1164_800.JPG
First look at Carn an Tuirc from lay-by.

It was looking a bit gray towards Carn an Tuirc, but the top of the hill looked clear, which was encouraging. The walk in was pretty uneventful other than a bit squelchy and the occasional grouse, exploding from the heather, to give Big Jasper a fright, or two. Oh, yes, another small point. I soon realised I had left my walking pole in the car, so Jaf kindly lent me his. (He must take it every walk for company, cause never uses it :) )
The path gets a bit broken and feint after the sheilings, but one could almost just head straight up any route of your choosing. The top is quite indistict. Must have been hard to decide where to plonk a cairn. Not the most dramatic of hills.
Charles, was then of a mind to head off directly for the two outlying hills, whereas the route I had in mind, was to head for them after No.2, Cairn of Claise, which we could see being slowly smothered in some incoming clag. It wasn't clear which, if any of the hills out to the east were Tolmount, or Tom Buidhe and we never saw an obvious path heading out that way. I knew the route to Tolmount from No.2, was almost exactly due east, so was keen to stick to that, without having the map. Charles eventually came round to my way of thinking.
The path, then road track, to Cairn of Claise is quite clear and easy to follow. A bit of clag, but not much of a climb and before long we were following the well made wall to the top. A bit more to see, so lay down the walking pole for a few photo's, as well as a bit of refreshment.
Glenshee 6 003_1152_800.JPG
Big Jasper on Cairn of Claise, looking toward Monega Hill.

From here, I was half expecting a track to be heading in/outwards for Tolmount/Tom Buidhe, but there was nothing too obvious from the summit. Looking due east there were a couple of vague hills which didn't look too impressive but, might be our ones? Well, time to believe in my convictions. Due east, Jimbo, must take us there, right? Maybe. The going wasn't too bad, other than occasional peat hags, to get over/through, as we lost some height. It was about this point, I had a feeling of despair. That moment where you just know you have mucked up, as the walking pole seemed somewhat missing from my hand. Oh no. Not again :shock: Oh, bleepin' yes! :(
Glenshee 6 006_1071_800.JPG
Flashback. No.2, Cairn of Claise. Note strategically hidden walking pole!
I couldn't remember if I had left it at the cairn, or somewhere after leaving the top, but it was now having a good rest somewhere. My heart sank, although my route plan was to return to the top of Cairn na Claise, so we might just be reunited. Big Jaf, was quite stoical, as he held back the tears, but I vowed to return to the top to have a look for his trusted walking companion, come what may :D
Anyway, as we started to ascend once more, we became more convinced the hill ahead must be Tom Buidhe, but again, it doesn't look much of a hill from this side. A quick check of the GPS on the summit and bingo, we were there. That wee hill to the north must be Tolmount then?
Glenshee 6 009_1171_800.JPG
Tom Buidhe summit. Checking to see if Tolmount is actually Tolmount?
Again, didn't take the breath away, as there isn't much descent, distance, or shape to get excited about from where we were looking. It was just a matter of how far to traverse round to avoid losing height, a quick climb and 25 minutes later, that was Tolmount in the bag. Time for some grub. Now where did I leave said grub? Mmmh, doesn't seem to be there. Uh, uh, won't be there you eejit, you've left it in the fridge :clap: Errrmh, Charles, any chance of one of your lovely looking egg rolls? Big Jasper seemed lost for words, shaking his head in disbelief, followed by about two minutes of hysterical laughter, but fair play to the big man, who duly coughed up his egg roll for my salvation. Ah well, what else can go wrong?
Glenshee 6 015_1067_800.JPG
Summit Tolmount. Big Jasper hears I have left the munchies at home.
Glenshee 6 016_1187_800.JPG
The forgetful one, on Tolmount.
Glenshee 6 018_1067_800.JPG
The way back to Cairn of Claise - and hopefully a lost walking pole.

From here the path back to Cairn of Claise, was actually more distinct. It may have been possible to head back more to the south and shortcut some of the distance off if heading for Glas Maol, but having lost the walking pole meant I would have to stick to fixed plans and return to Cairn of Claise, which now looked higher and further off, for some reason. Anyway, we soon made it back, though the legs were begining to tire by now, or at least, mine were. Thankfully, I was partially redeemed, as the walking pole was sitting there against the cairn, smirking at my return. From here the walk began to improve, as the landscape becomes a bit more appealing, with a view of the crags on the south side of Caenlochan Glen and the edge of corries to the Cairnwell side, as we followed the old Monega Road track.
Glenshee 6 019_1228_800_1024_667.JPG
Looking over towards Glas Maol from Cairn of Claise. Ben More and Lawers hills way in distance.
Glenshee 6 020_1067_800.JPG
A clearer view now towards Monega Hill.

We maybe stayed on this track a bit longer than necessary, but after a chat with a couple of lads, soon detoured west, a quick jaunt to the top of Glas Maol. By now plenty of other walkers were appearing from the Cairnwell side, one lovely lass who took our photo and a bit of advice about how best to return to car.
Glenshee 6 025_1017_800.JPG
Glas Maol
Glenshee 6 029_1067_800.JPG
Jaf sets off for Creag Leacach.

Our plan was to return back to somewhere around Glas Maol, traverse round the west side and find our way down, which the girl assured us would be relatively easy on a day like this, which had brightened and warmed up considerably by now. The walk over to Cul Riabhach, and then Creag Leacach, is actually the most enjoyable part of the trip, giving one a sense of being up real mountains. I guess it must have taken about 5 hours to get to the top of our 6th and final hill, from where we could look down on the Cairnwell Pass, Glas Tulaichean and beyond to the Cairngorms.
Glenshee 6 032_650_800.JPG
The Great Wall of .... Creag Leacach
Glenshee 6 038_1280_800_1024_640.JPG
Looking down on the Cairnwell Pass, The Cairnwell, Ben Macdui and Cairngorm hills beyond.
Glenshee 6 043_1067_800.JPG
Creag Leacach top.

Being wise guys, we left our rucksacks way back at the start of the wall and returned to pick them up, making our way along a good path, round Glas Maol, over to Meall Odhar, then down the landrover track, to the ski centre.
Glenshee 6 057_1067_800.JPG
Looking down on the ski centre. A welcome sight by now.
Glenshee 6 060_1083_800.JPG
Big Jasper is unstoppable!
Feet well nippin' by now! Big Jasper, not being one to dilly-dally, had brought his trainers, to finish off his day with a wee run back to the car. Me, not being a masochist, chose a leisurely wander along the road to await my chauffeur to pick me up, for the long trek home.
Glenshee 6 065_1067_800.JPG
Running shoes on to finish me/the day off!
Glenshee 6 068_1185_800.JPG
Beep, beep, it's the road runner.

Not the most spectacular group of hills, but a big and memorable day away, for more than one reason. :lol: The route would have been shorter, heading for Tolmount and Tom Buidhe after No.1, but I can't vouch for a path, or terrain in between, although it would also allow one to take in Coire Loch Kander.
As usual, we stopped for a small refreshement on the way home to nicely round things off and guess what? Yes, to nicely round things off, I had forgotten my wallet! To prove he is a thoroughly decent chap, Big Jasper soon had a cool cider on the table, while he, sadly had to stick to the water. Some guy :clap:
Attachments
Glenshee 6 070_1067_800.JPG
A last look at our first hill, Carn an Tuirc.
Glenshee 6 046_1067_800.JPG
Looking back at Creag Leacach.
Glenshee 6 044_1067_800.JPG
First six!
Glenshee 6 030_1065_800.JPG
Glas Tulaichean.
Glenshee 6 021_1068_800.JPG
Mountain Hare. Lots up here.
Last edited by JimboJim on Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Re: Glenshee 6 - plus a wee bit more!

Postby Big Jesper » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:30 pm

Will always remember the cairnwell 6, still a great day out. :lol:
Big Jesper
Munro compleatist

Munros:266   

Postby teaandpies » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:03 pm

May I ask for a few more details on where you parked?

Looking at my map the Ski Centre seems to be a more central location. Is there any reason I shouldn't park about there?
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby larry groo » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:07 pm

teaandpies wrote:Looking at my map the Ski Centre seems to be a more central location.

Yep... park in the Ski Centre overflow car park... It saves a long hoof back down the road to the car. Just the short pull up to the car park to deal with.
larry groo

Postby teaandpies » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:17 pm

larry groo wrote:
teaandpies wrote:Looking at my map the Ski Centre seems to be a more central location.

Yep... park in the Ski Centre overflow car park... It saves a long hoof back down the road to the car. Just the short pull up to the car park to deal with.

Is it well sign posted? I've never been around there before.
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Postby larry groo » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:23 pm

Oh aye... You can't miss the Ski Centre.

At this time of year, where to put your car will be obvious when you're there.

Approaching from the South, the overflow is the 1st bit of gritty expanse of parking on your right at the crest of the hill.
larry groo

Postby teaandpies » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:40 pm

larry groo wrote:Oh aye... You can't miss the Ski Centre.

At this time of year, where to put your car will be obvious when you're there.

Approaching from the South, the overflow is the 1st bit of gritty expanse of parking on your right at the crest of the hill.

Cheers. I checked it out on Google maps, couldn't miss that...could I? :lol:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Postby ancancha » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:09 am

Nice report, a long day, but a sunny one :shock:
Not done much walking around here, but a lot of ski touring and great memories :D
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby Wanderlust7 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:34 pm

Good report Jim, glad you and Jasper the Machine had a good day out, they are not bad hills as you said and make for a long day out. Had a laugh at the old "forgot the wallet" (and lunch routine) are you first out the taxi too lol?

Hope to catch up with you guys soon before the clocks go back, maybe somewhere around Fort William perhaps?

Steve
Wanderlust7
Stravaiging

Munros:229   Corbetts:13
Fionas:4   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:8   

Postby jac the lassie » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:46 pm

That's good going time wise for those six! :clap: and you got some great weather for them too. :D
jac the lassie
Hill Bagger

Munros:73   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:24   

Postby Jokester » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:20 pm

Planning on doing this next month if there's a nice weekend, though I'll be leaving a bike rather than running it!

Also, mountain hares. Never seen so many of them as I have this year.
Jokester
Mountain Walker

Munros:77   

Postby teaandpies » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:11 pm

Jokester wrote:Planning on doing this next month if there's a nice weekend, though I'll be leaving a bike rather than running it!

Also, mountain hares. Never seen so many of them as I have this year.

I done this yesterday. Hares everywhere, I've never seen so many.

I done the hills on the same order as this but I think you'd be better off going from Carn an Tuirc to Tolmount, across to Tom Buidhe and walk to Cairn of Claise because I think this would be faster.
To avoid the bog we had to walk pretty high practically walking back over the top of Cairn of Claise so you may as well do it that way.
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland