walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Gorllwyn & Drygarn Fawr - Mid Wales

Gorllwyn & Drygarn Fawr - Mid Wales

Postby youngr » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:12 am

Hewitts included on this walk: Drygarn Fawr, Gorllwyn

Date walked: 18/08/2015

Time taken: 4

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 641m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A lovely warm day - excellent for walking. My self and 15 year old son decided to walk these two and as we live on the English-Welsh border, it's not too far to drive. I've been to Drygarn Fawr a few times so knew what to expect - expanse of featureless bog! A dry warm clear day in August is probably the best time to go up there and we were rewarded with excellent conditions.

Parking at Llanerch Cawr it was an easy start up the Marchnant. It got a bit strenuous weaving our way up the eastern brook following sheep tracks. Once we reached the ridge then it was an easy walk to the trip point at Gorllwyn and large cairn beyond. We had lunch at the latter as the trig point was inhabited by a swarm of bees that were nesting in amongst the rocks. Loads of cowberries around the hilltop. Fantastic views to the Brecons, the hills to the North plus Radnor Forest to the east - near where we live. Drygaren Fawr looked inviting to the west, 4 miles away.

From Gorllwyn we followed the ridge down to the col west following wooden marker posts. Form past experience, the walk to Drygarn Fawr from the col was tricky with bogs appearing from nowhere and lots of circumvention required. Roughly following the boundary posts (both wooden and concrete) there is a sort of path that heads towards Drygarn. At least a lot of the ground was comparatively dry but still required careful navigation. The path is lost for about a mile but another can be picked up further on. as you approach the Drygarn ridge. Arriving at the 2 large cairns I was pleasantly surprised how quickly we had crossed over from Gorllwyn.

From Drygarn there are various routes down. For me the most straightforward is to head north-east towards the steep valley of Nant yr Ast. Head north-east keeping to the yellow (dry) grass patches. We walked down the steep slope into Nant yr Ast as it meets Rhiwnant. From here it was pleasant though rough walk all the way down the Rhiwnant - a beautiful quiet valley. After joining the mine track on the south of the river, it was a short walk back to the car.

We didn't see a sole person all day on the walk. Plenty of wildlife though, red kites, kestrels, ravens and buzzards - oh and a field vole that I almost stepped on!

Richard
Attachments
Up to Drygarn Fawr.JPG
youngr
Mountaineer

Munros:12   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:32
Wainwrights:3   Islands:11

Re: Gorllwyn & Drygarn Fawr - Mid Wales

Postby ChrisW » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:25 pm

Hills with your son are the best kind of hills I reckon :wink: Even better when you don't see another soul out there but do see lots of wildlife. I notice your lad is like mine....always out in front while I stop to breathe err I mean take photos :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Gorllwyn & Drygarn Fawr - Mid Wales

Postby AJNicholls » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:50 pm

Good to see there are others that have ventured into the expansive bogpits of mid-Wales. Lots more to see elsewhere but sounds like you picked a good day for it.
AJNicholls
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   Corbetts:11
Donalds:1
Hewitts:231
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland