walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Feeling horny on Beinn Alligin

Feeling horny on Beinn Alligin

Postby kevsbald » Wed May 12, 2010 8:30 am

Route description: Beinn Alligin

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Mòr (Beinn Alligin), Tom na Gruagaich (Beinn Alligin)

Date walked: 11/05/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My 2nd day in the North-West - plan A had been to go for Liathach but the vagaries of Scottish weather meant that with snow forecast (it's May FFS!), I didn't fancy doing Liathach on anything except a clear day. I therefore chose Beinn Alligin - how glad was I? It turned out to be a stunning day in the hills and I was simply blown away by the magnificence of this mountain. From the atmospheric, silent amphitheatre of being in the corrie below Tom na Gruagaich to the beautifully poised summit cairn, with the plunging cliffs of Toll a Mhadaidh, to the quite stunning Sgurr Mor. Then there is the chasm of the Eag Dubh. I won't bother going on anymore (though I am) except to say that by the time I was on Sgurr Mor, the snow was fairly dinging it doon. All views were obliterated and I had a made a good decision to leave Liathach for another day - on the occasion I did see it, it was quite a wonderful set of peaks and jagged edges to look at - Sabatier would have been proud. I had really looked forward to going over the Horns of Alligin and worried slightly when a party of three passed me on the opposite route saying they had given them a miss, opting to take the path below the Horns - could it really be that bad? I decided to go over them and was glad to have done so. The airy, scramble really is the way to go and just added to the experience that I was having possibly one of my best days on the hill. Also, the fluctuating cloud/snow conditions afforded some magnificent views over the Horns. Then, there is the views across to Beinn Dearg - what a majestic Corbett it is - very impressive. Unfortunately, it all ended too soon and I was descending quite steep ground back to the glen. No need to further expand on this day, just look at the photos. Astounded on Alligin.
wh1.jpg
A cloudy start to the day....it gets better
wh2.jpg
Getting ready to head into the amphitheatre
wh3.jpg
Looking back to Loch Torridon

wh4.jpg
Beinn Damh and Maol Chean Dearg in the distance
wh5.jpg
The Horns of Alligin with Beinn Dearg behind
wh6.jpg
A close-up of Beinn Dearg

wh7.jpg
Sexy Sgurr Mor
wh8.jpg
Looking back to Tom na Gruagaich - stunning
wh9.jpg
The Eag Dubh

wh10.jpg
The top of the Eag Dubh
wh11.jpg
Feeling a little Horny in the snow
wh12.jpg
Wow - the 1st horn looms out of the cloud

wh13.jpg
The last Horn - more please!
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Re: Feeling horny on Beinn Alligin

Postby mountain coward » Wed May 12, 2010 8:34 am

Great report Kev - thanks for the close-ups of the horns routes - think I'll still probably be going on the bypass path myself though. I'm sure if I'm with Richard he'll do the horns as he likes that kind of thing...
mountain coward

Postby monty » Wed May 12, 2010 8:38 am

Excellent stuff Kev. I was at the country side centre last year but the weather was too bad so I headed up north instead. You must be crazy doing the horns in the snow :lol: I am waiting for a good weather hopefully in July to go back up there :D Great pictures. Well done.

P.S. Dougz just wrote a report on Maoille Lunndaidh and its neighbours about 10 miles south off you.
monty

Postby kevsbald » Wed May 12, 2010 9:51 am

MC - there is a path which skirts below the difficulties - it's vertically below the horns so just be careful of people above moving rocks etc.
I saw Doogz car at the Ledgowan hotel - woke up after a late arrival, opened my curtains and there was his car - he must have stayed in the Bunkhouse!
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Postby mountain coward » Wed May 12, 2010 10:22 am

Yeah I was planning to take the opt-out path really...

How do you know Doogz's car? Were you in the bunkhouse or the gorgeous hotel? I love the hotel but can rarely afford to stay there. The bunkhouse is nice though... last time I was there, five stags came past my window :D
mountain coward

Postby doogz » Wed May 12, 2010 10:43 am

mountain coward wrote:Yeah I was planning to take the opt-out path really...

How do you know Doogz's car? D

opt out Path is more .......whatever ....dangerous ...scary....exposed....cant get a word to fit the description than the horns

as if you walk over the horns the ground is below you/under your feet ...no real sense of a drop........ if you are on the opt out path i imagine all to your left or right whichever way you do the walk would be NOTHINGNESS :? therefore more exposed to a slip a trip eg

think kev may have noticed from prev trip reports

cheers

great hill isnt it Kev ...found it really a haunting place ...we went to see it on monday night was steeped in snow and hail .....absolutely freezing on Monday night....-4 :(

good report my friend
doogz

Postby soulminer » Wed May 12, 2010 11:28 am

If Carlsberg did Munros, then this one is............you know the rest 8)
IMHO this is my favourite so far, it has all the qualities of a classic - walking, scambling and the views :thumbup:
Cheers for posting
soulminer

Postby mountain coward » Wed May 12, 2010 11:31 am

I think it's merely steep on one side on the by-pass path from the pics I've seen... on the other hand, it's steep on both sides of the horns! I don't think it's anything like the Liathach Am Fasarinen bypass path which I believe is very exposed and dangerous with a real danger of a slip - that's why I'm going to have to do Liathach in 2 halves - and I'm still not looking forward to re-descending the steep eastern end
mountain coward

Postby HighlandSC » Wed May 12, 2010 1:49 pm

Fantastic, Kev :)

This one's high up on the hitlist for Michelle and I in the next couple of weeks. Can't wait :D
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby LeithySuburbs » Wed May 12, 2010 2:59 pm

I loved the Horns and, if I remember correctly, they looked no worse than the bypass. The stark contrast between the N and S slopes in your photos is a strange sight.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby kinley » Wed May 12, 2010 6:02 pm

Brilliant 8) Possibly my favourite hill :D

Agree with LeithyS - that 2-faced horn is a striking shot 8)

MC wrote:I don't think it's anything like the Liathach Am Fasarinen bypass path which I believe is very exposed and dangerous with a real danger of a slip

Don't really agree with this. Having done it twice in September (no snow) - it's a nice wee path. Exposed yes - you're perched on the south face a long way up. But dangerous with a real danger of a slip - no, not unless your own issues render you unstable.

My wife liked it - and she hates heights and exposure. :)
kinley

Postby Paul Webster » Wed May 12, 2010 6:06 pm

Great report Kev.

Am Fasarinen path = for me a necessary way of avoiding the ridge! (which is just too tricky). The path is exposed but basically agree with Kinley.

Bypass path on Horns of Alligin = for my money, much better to go over the horns. The path cuts across very very steep grass slopes and is pretty horrible going and probably more dangerous than the horns themselves.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby mountain coward » Wed May 12, 2010 6:15 pm

There's some pics on You-Tube of the Am Fasarinen bypass path (Muriel Gray's Munro Show) which shows some pretty eroded bits - I would have thought they were quite dangerous - they were going round the head of a gully in one place...

Sounds like I'll just have to miss the Horns end out altogether on Beinn Alligin and just do the 2 Munros and go back the same way if the bypass is that bad
mountain coward

Postby kinley » Wed May 12, 2010 6:27 pm

mountain coward wrote:There's some pics on You-Tube of the Am Fasarinen bypass path (Muriel Gray's Munro Show) which shows some pretty eroded bits - I would have thought they were quite dangerous - they were going round the head of a gully in one place...

Sounds like I'll just have to miss the Horns end out altogether on Beinn Alligin and just do the 2 Munros and go back the same way if the bypass is that bad

I think if you wish to be wound up there's lots of material which will accentuate/exaggerate the hazards of any hill-walk. Can only say that the Liathach bypass did not seem at all hazardous even to Hazel who has a low threshold for such things.

In terms of Alligin - you may consider looping round the nice track between Alligin and Beinn Dearg and climbing the nice grassy slopes of the west side. You can then ascend Sgurr mor, cross to Tom na Gruagaich and descend the path from there. We climbed Sgurr Mor that way long before we were hillwalkers. :)

Apologies for the hijack Kev :oops:

Alligin.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

kinley

Postby kevsbald » Thu May 13, 2010 8:27 am

No need to apologise for hijack Kinley et al. As I was traversing the Horns, I did think of MC and whether she could do this. I think these threads are good for that kind of discussion. My own views of the path below me were that it looked relatively straightforward but that a slip would be fatal - if that makes sense. The 'path'/scramble over the Horns felt safer - four limbs on contact are better than two! Definitely my favourite hill so far.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland