walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Buidhe

Meall Buidhe

Postby ancancha » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:40 pm

Route description: Meall Buidhe

Munros included on this walk: Meall Buidhe (Glen Lyon)

Date walked: 27/08/2015

Time taken: 2.53 hours

Distance: 8.5 km

Ascent: 593m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Meall Buidhe.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Had these two on my list, but disappointingly am picking them off one at a time starting with Meall Buidhe. The peak on the other side of Loch an Daimh is Stuchd an Lochain.

It's a long drive in and up to the dam, but the views and scenery start early. On the way there I chose to go over the pass at Lawers from the Killin side with great views back towards the Tarmachan ridge and corrie

The Allt Baile a' Mhuilinn is great as it cascades down over several fall

The above isn't about the walk, but these mini adventures start when you leave home :wink:
As mini adventures go this one was very mini, but none the less enjoyable.

Got to the dam and it's got some wild horses :!:

It was dry, but quite windy at this stage, other wildlife was non existent.

The landrover track is directly opposite the parking area and its in really good condition, I was tempted to drive up it to the end of Loch for a look around, looked around for a keep out sign; there is one on the other side of the open gate. Private road :(

Not to worry the views from only a short way up the track of the Loch are pleasant enough

The off ramp can't be missed unless you are in total day dream land and isn't that far from the start

I was expecting the path to be a bit more squelchy reading some of the reports and the walk description. It is a bit wet in places, only to be expected in this unusually wet summer.

Because of the high start the views aren't long in appearing, this is I assume Meall Ghaordaidh in the background :?:

This is about as squidgy as it gets, and it's mostly surface water, so choose your spots and you are in up to a maximum of the sole of your boot. The path does dry up towards the end of the first uphill before the peat hags.

On the way up I went to the right of the peat hags thinking that Meall na Each was where to head for. I'd forgotten to press the button to record the track; it was at this stage that I realised :roll: It don't matter much, everything is pretty visible today :D NOTE though that times and gpx are estimates :!:

Having looked at the satnav I saw that I should be heading up to the left, Meall a' Phuill and set off in that direction spotting the small path cairn on the way

Once on the path it's only a few minutes to the cairn on Meall a' Phuill

and the easy ridge to Meall Buidhe with Gharb Meall beyond

There's a good view of Lochan nan Cat below Stuchd an Lochain

and up to almost the end of Loch an Daimh and the Allt coming out of Sron a' Choire Chnapanaich

This must have been an amazingly beautiful Glen before the dam and reservoir were built. When I come back to do Stuchd an Lochain I'm going to cycle up the private road to the end for a good look 8)

The last hop to the summit is along a dry semi rocky path and other than stopping to take in the views doesn't take long

It's very pleasant, and the wind dies down, it will be the midges when I get back to the car :roll:

Nice views north past Gharb Mheall

To the west, although not that clear and not really the time of day, into the sun :(

I didn't hang around, although in hindsight I should have had a look at the summit of Gharb Mheall. Heading back and checking out the rocks on the ridge

before descending and this time following the WH path through the hags :!: They aren't that haggy, and not that wet either and are easily crossed

I veered off and checked out the view up the reservoir from an accessible vantage point and a strange rock which I guess must have iron in it :?:

When I first started walking in the mountains I used to think every hint of red must be evidence of iron, but in the vast majority of cases I was seeing extensive red lichens as in Sgurr Eilde Mor in the Mamores.

A quick look at the dam

and back at the car in no time at all.
This must be one of the tamest Munros I have done so far, but the views are worth it.

The mini adventure doesn't end till you get back home and what had been forecast to be a very wet and windy day moderating and clearing somewhat had cleared and moderated completely leaving a clear sky and an almost full moon

I am always amazed that you can see the craters on the moon with a small camera 8)
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Re: Meall Buidhe

Postby katyhills » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:41 pm

Lovely report and pix :D
That shot of the moon is gorgeous. I took some last night from my house but I haven't looked at them yet.

Stuchd an Lochain is one of my favourite hills so I hope you enjoy it when you get a chance to go back. I was up there in late April while trying to regain fitness - lots of snow still lying and it looked tremendous from further away. I did both hills the first time I went. It seemed a bit of a slog going up Buidhe because we came back to the car for a break and you have a bit of a climb again, but at least you're starting higher up anyway. I don't remember the path being so good! Perhaps we went a slightly different route. You had a lovely day - plenty of good photo opportunities. :)
You can go right round the reservoir (after St an L ) and come back to do Buidhe from that end. Looks quite a trek but would be good on a nice day.
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:30 pm

Good hill this one with some great views from the top and it looks like you got a decent day for it.

Like most folks I did Stuchd an Lochain at the same time having done Meall Buidhe first. I remember the walk away from the dam and up Stuchd an Lochain was a bit of a relentless slog followed by a brilliant walk along the top to the summit. Only problem that day was it was very hot and flat calm and the clegs were out in force (one lady had full waterproof gear on to try and protect herself from the little ********).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby ancancha » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:57 pm

katyhills wrote:Lovely report and pix :D
That shot of the moon is gorgeous. I took some last night from my house but I haven't looked at them yet.

Stuchd an Lochain is one of my favourite hills so I hope you enjoy it when you get a chance to go back. I was up there in late April while trying to regain fitness - lots of snow still lying and it looked tremendous from further away. I did both hills the first time I went. It seemed a bit of a slog going up Buidhe because we came back to the car for a break and you have a bit of a climb again, but at least you're starting higher up anyway. I don't remember the path being so good! Perhaps we went a slightly different route. You had a lovely day - plenty of good photo opportunities. :)
You can go right round the reservoir (after St an L ) and come back to do Buidhe from that end. Looks quite a trek but would be good on a nice day.

Cheers Katyhills
I was thinking about trying to get up in the next few days.
I'd have done Ben More and the other three I still have left at Inverlochlarig and checked out the boulder :wink: , but the forecast was for about 8mm; next week sometime though :!:
Looking at Google earth I was thinking that perhaps I would carry on past Stuchd an Lochain summit and make my way to the end of the Loch that way, round and back. The track looks like it ends just before the plantation, about 4k along, so I wouldn't get to cycle to the end :?:
It just looked fabulous at the top of Loch an Daimh with beaches as well 8)

Gordie12 wrote:Good hill this one with some great views from the top and it looks like you got a decent day for it.

Like most folks I did Stuchd an Lochain at the same time having done Meall Buidhe first. I remember the walk away from the dam and up Stuchd an Lochain was a bit of a relentless slog followed by a brilliant walk along the top to the summit. Only problem that day was it was very hot and flat calm and the clegs were out in force (one lady had full waterproof gear on to try and protect herself from the little ********).

I think summer has finally arrived :shock: it has certainly been warmer the past week or so :D hopefully there will be a breeze :!: To be honest I am pretty immune to midge bites now, though they are still irritating :roll: Clegs bites are nasty :twisted: and I will definitely try to avoid them :!:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Postby KatTai » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:34 pm

Really nice report, and lovely photo of the moon at the end of it too!
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby ancancha » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:08 pm

KatTai wrote:Really nice report, and lovely photo of the moon at the end of it too!

Thanks KaiTai
Definitely not the most challenging of Munros, but very pleasant and interesting.
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Postby Petr Dakota » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:14 pm

Another nice walk, good visibility...and the Moon is great ! :clap: :clap: 8)
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby ancancha » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:30 pm

Petr Dakota wrote:Another nice walk, good visibility...and the Moon is great ! :clap: :clap: 8)

Cheers Petr
Not in the same league as your last night start, although if combined with Stuchd an Lochain on the other side would be a reasonable workout and some good views.

KatTai wrote:Really nice report, and lovely photo of the moon at the end of it too!

Got a better moon on the way back from Narnain

Interestingly the creaters were clear on the other side with this one :?:
I took several photos on both occassions, it's not down to me or the camera :!:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Postby katyhills » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:15 am

ancancha - if you have access to Cameron McNeish's book it shows the route right round the dam.
I'd quite like to do it one day. I'll wait till there's a good spell of weather though - but I could be waiting a while! :wink:
Haven't looked to see if that route is mentioned anywhere here. Might be worth a little search.

Stuchd an Lochain looked like this when I was there in April - summit's in the left top corner

Lovely second moon pic :)
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby spiderwebb » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:29 pm

Nice pair these two either side of the dam, as the reports often say, combine the two for a full day :lol: Couldn't help but smile at those comments and one above :lol: I'd planned the two, but MB after a reasonable ascent I could see the snow plumes and although the summit was fine, I was blown to bits ( no surprise I hear a few saying :lol: ) but it took me over 6 hours, so Stuchd had to wait.
But like anything when you've made the journey, its well worth the effort for the end prize.
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby ancancha » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:45 pm

spiderwebb wrote:Nice pair these two either side of the dam, as the reports often say, combine the two for a full day :lol: Couldn't help but smile at those comments and one above :lol: I'd planned the two, but MB after a reasonable ascent I could see the snow plumes and although the summit was fine, I was blown to bits ( no surprise I hear a few saying :lol: ) but it took me over 6 hours, so Stuchd had to wait.
But like anything when you've made the journey, its well worth the effort for the end prize.

Cheers spiderwebb, I nicked up in the rain yesterday and ticked off Stuchd an Lochain
Very entertaining in an aquatic kinda way :lol:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Postby spiderwebb » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:51 pm

:lol: :lol: Some days you just gotta get out, I nicked up Ben More on Mull, torrential I think is the word going up, but brightened a bit later. Two other groups were sitting in their cars when I pulled up, think they thought well that blokes going :lol: :lol:
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Postby ancancha » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:54 pm

katyhills wrote:ancancha - if you have access to Cameron McNeish's book it shows the route right round the dam.
I'd quite like to do it one day. I'll wait till there's a good spell of weather though - but I could be waiting a while! :wink:
Haven't looked to see if that route is mentioned anywhere here. Might be worth a little search.

Stuchd an Lochain looked like this when I was there in April - summit's in the left top corner

Lovely second moon pic :)

Looks like you got a fabulous day for it katyhills, I wasn't so fortunate yesterday, but still enjoyed it :D
I think the head of Loch Daimh would be fabulous, but it might be a bit of an arduous trek with a boggy ending :(
I ran out of light for a quick cycle to the end of the track for a look see, but having looked at the Lyon reservoir I think perhaps I will cycle round that, maybe finding a way up Beinn Mhanach from the track. Looks like
Creag Mhor and Beinn Heasgarnich could also be accessed from the Lyon reservoir track.
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Postby ancancha » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:02 pm

spiderwebb wrote::lol: :lol: Some days you just gotta get out, I nicked up Ben More on Mull, torrential I think is the word going up, but brightened a bit later. Two other groups were sitting in their cars when I pulled up, think they thought well that blokes going :lol: :lol:

Its the warm time of year and we are waterproof :!:
Missing out on the views is the misery part :( not the getting wet :!:
Glad you got some brightness as well and managed to dislodge the fogies from their cars :lol:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Postby spiderwebb » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:06 pm

Dislodge :lol: :lol: They had a bit more trouble than me crossing the burn, as I met them still ascending not far from the burn coming down, but they may have got a better day as a result :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland