walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Into double figures with the Cairnwell Munros

Into double figures with the Cairnwell Munros

Postby KatTai » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:49 pm

Route description: The Cairnwell Munros

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Ghèoidh, Càrn Aosda, The Cairnwell

Date walked: 30/08/2015

Time taken: 4.25 hours

Distance: 13 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I think something may have started here when I decided I wanted to get my Munro count into double figures before we wave goodbye to the big hills for the winter...and call me sad, but I wanted Dottie the Dalmatian to reach double figures too! She has one less than us so we needed to do at least a double to all be in double figures and the Cairnwell Munro's seemed a good option.

We didn't have an early start for these ones, starting our walk at the back of 11am and heading up the scarred slopes to our first target - Carn Aosda.

1.jpg
Carn Aosda

There was no missing the path and it wasn't long before we reached the summit.

6.jpg
It's even signposted...

16.jpg
Millie and Dottie on the summit (I was behind the camera as per usual!)

One done, it was on to the next target - Carn a'Gheoidh. After being in the midst of the ski area, it was nice taking rough path away from the main track away from all of that.

41.jpg

There seemed to be a lot of people on the shoulder coming and going, but when we reached the summit we had it to ourselves.

28.jpg
Dottie celebrates joining us in double figures in the Munro count...

We didn't hang around long before starting to head back. On the way I decided to have a packet of crisps and I hadn't even managed to open the packet when this appeared...

29.jpg
Raven

They must have a sixth sense for detecting when walkers have food!

The Cairnwell was in sight for just about the whole time walking back, there was no getting away from it.

31.jpg
Heading for the Cairnwell

But there were nicer views in the other directions to make up for it...

47.jpg

We were soon back on the main track and heading up to the Cairnwell, our third and final Munro of the day. The summit marker is surrounded by buildings and masts, but we had to get the summit photo anyway...

60.jpg

There were much nicer views away from the masts and stuff though.

57.jpg

It was then time to head back. The track up and down from the summit of the Cairnwell was very loose, and Millie who is usually so good on her feet ended up slipping! She limped down to the bottom of the steep bit and I (once I made it down) checked her over but couldn't see any injury. That led me to decide to head down on the ski run near the chairlift. There might not have been a path but at least the ground was softer for Millie to walk back on. Not that I needed to have worried, within 5 minutes she was leaping through the bog having a great time...

65a.jpg
Nutter

Must have just been a knock on the shin!

It wasn't too bad of a descent that way, bit more fun than sticking to the main track too!
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Re: Into double figures with the Cairnwell Munros

Postby ancancha » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:48 pm

Well done on the double digits KaiTai :clap:
Plenty of Ravens around now :!:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby KatTai » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:03 pm

ancancha wrote:Well done on the double digits KaiTai :clap:
Plenty of Ravens around now :!:

Love seeing the ravens, there was one circling the Cairnwell but it was gone by the time I got up there!
KatTai
Wanderer

Postby Petr Dakota » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:33 pm

the last pic is great ! :clap: :lol: :clap: :D
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby KatTai » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:35 pm

Petr Dakota wrote:the last pic is great ! :clap: :lol: :clap: :D

Haha thanks, she soon recovered from her earlier slip!
KatTai
Wanderer

Postby kevsbald » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:20 am

I think Carn a Gheoidh is a splendid summit for isolation. Love the frolicking mutt pic.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby KatTai » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:31 pm

kevsbald wrote:I think Carn a Gheoidh is a splendid summit for isolation. Love the frolicking mutt pic.

I actually almost wish I'd left it to last rather than finishing with the Cairnwell, though as there was the slip coming down from there maybe it was just as well that was our 2nd Munro of the day otherwise we'd have probably been heading back to the car!
KatTai
Wanderer

Postby Scotjamie » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:44 pm

Very enjoyable report with good pics. Don't remember a sign to Carn Aosda before.... and not sure why it needs one. But heyho. Agree with Kev
kevsbald wrote:I think Carn a Gheoidh is a splendid summit for isolation. Love the frolicking mutt pic.

Well done
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby KatTai » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:30 pm

Scotjamie wrote:Very enjoyable report with good pics. Don't remember a sign to Carn Aosda before.... and not sure why it needs one. But heyho. Agree with Kev

Well done

I'm not entirely sure why they feel the need to have it signposted either, especially when it is close enough for even me to throw a stone onto the summit! Maybe it is more for the skiiers in the winter?
KatTai
Wanderer

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland