walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Anniversary day walk.

Anniversary day walk.


Postby teaandpies » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:19 am

Munros included on this walk: Cairn of Claise, Carn an Tuirc, Creag Leacach, Glas Maol, Tolmount, Tom Buidhe

Date walked: 29/08/2015

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 27 km

Ascent: 1430m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was 6 years to the day that I had climbed my first ever major hill Ben Vane. I hadn't really had any particular interest in hill walking when I was invited to join a friend and his father on a jolly up a hill. I remember having to rush out and buy a pair of boots, I purchased a cheap pair from Mountain Warehouse at a cost of £20 :problem:

The original plan for today was to take a step up from doing 'easy' hills and do something special. The Ring of Steall was the idea but this was scrapped based on the information received from MWIS and other forecasts. The East was to have better weather than the West so the decision was made to do something less exciting on a day when the weather was due to be less than brilliant.

I made the decision to visit Glenshee for a bit of number crunching. This part of the country seems to be the right place if you want boost your number if that's your sort of thing.

Up at the crack of dawn (05:00) to get ready, put ma piece together, jumped into the hire car and drove to the train station to pick up Pieplough at 06:40 before heading off. I don't have a great deal of driving experience so I always get a nervous when driving somewhere new but we made it in a pretty good time and with no problems.

We parked at the ski centre over flow car park, got read and set off down the road.
ImageThe Road

This is the view where we started our walk proper.
ImageCarn an Tuirc

The path is pretty straight form here but it's wet and this slows you down somewhat, once off the wet part of the path you are on the awkwardly sized rocks of the top, they aren't large enough to hop over but not small enough to walk over effortlessly :crazy:
ImageThe rocky top
ImageCarn an Tuirc summit

We sat in one of those horseshoe summit toilet things to eat a little breakfast before heading through the clag to the other claggy summit.
ImageCairn of Claise summit

We didn't linger on the summit for any length of time and just headed in the general direction of Tolmount hoping to pick up a path but we couldn't see anything. We ended up in a bog but it wasn't so bad, we managed to pick out way through it with out to much problems. We did catch a view of the hills eventually.
ImageTolmount & Tom Buidhe

We picked up a path on the pull up to the Tolmount summit, the 200 highest mountain in Britain.
ImageTolmount summit
ImageGlen Callater

Time to make our way around to Tom Buidhe. Which is the second most disappointing summit I've been on so far after Mullach Clach a'Bhlair.
ImageTom Buidhe summit

We caught up with a large group of walkers must have been 20+ walkers there. It turns out that the group had 2 walkers completing their Munros. It a great achievement but I'm glad that one won't be my last is all I'm going to say.
We kept to the path that takes you back over to the summit of Cairn of Claise but we branched of fairly high up which avoided what looked to be a boggy short cut. We stopped to have a spot of lunch before passing under the summit by 200 meters or so and headed for the 4x4 track which almost takes you to the top of Glas Maol. We caught a view of the first hill we had done on the day.
ImageCarn an Tuirc

As we passed over the Skiing development there was an exodus of walking making their way off the hills. There was just 3 sets of walkers now heading up to Glas Maol. I hope Glas Maol means hill of the mountain hare because there was at least 50 hanging around the summit and they seems fairly at ease with people it seems.
We got typical views from the highest hill of the day.
ImageGlas Maol

We took a wee took a couple of minutes here before setting off to the last and best looking hill of the day Creag Leacach.

ImageCreag Leacach
The above photo was as good as the views got of the hill because the clag soon covered everything up again. The walk up this hill was fairly easy going at first then you have to pick your way over the rocky top and in the rain it's pretty slippy with lots of loose rocks.
ImageCreag Leacach Summit

This was the last of the Munros but it was now time to get off the hills. Do we head down the other side of this hill or do we nip back under the Glas Maol summit and around the hill and head down the ski slopes?

We decided on the latter and as we left the summit we bumped into a couple of walkers who advised we didn't do this in the clag because there is some very steep ground so it was decided we'd all head off the hill together via the recommended route.
First we had to get off the rocky top and now tired legs, this was pretty slow going. Next we had to head down the really steep wet grassy slope, then jump the fast flowing burn and back up the slope on the other side and make our way to the car park next to Meall Gorm. We took a wee minute here before starting the worst part of the whole day, the long pull up the road to the main car park.This was a tough walk after walking the 6 Munros but the trick is to keep going. I spotted a rock that looked like a wee penis but I didn't want to stop for a picture. On the map there's something called the Devil's Elbow it's roughly in the same area...is it the same thing?
Once we crested the hill the shot walk down to the car park was a blessing on the hips. It had been a long day and I was glad to see the car.

I think Pieplough and I were happy to have some company for the last part of the walk so I'd like to say thanks to Hazel and Meg for sticking with us to the end, you guys made the last part of the walk more less painful. Now, could you drive us back to Glasgow? :lol:

The drive back was very tough, I was tired and was making stupid errors especially going through Perth, lots of clutch issues.
Just outside of Glasgow the rain was coming down so hard that the window wipers weren't keeping up with it and we slowed to 40mph. We were thinking to ourselves that we got pretty good weather compared to this!


our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts






@teaandpies on instagram


(Walked with my friend Matthew)
Last edited by teaandpies on Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teaandpies
Mountain Walker
 
Posts: 925
Munros:94   Corbetts:16
Grahams:8   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:6
Joined: Mar 19, 2014
Location: Glasgow

Re: Anniversary day walk.

Postby teaandpies » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:54 am

I seen there was a ton of reports in the last few days from this area, sorry for posting another :lol:

Did everybody head for the East this weekend?
teaandpies
Mountain Walker
 
Posts: 925
Munros:94   Corbetts:16
Grahams:8   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:6
Joined: Mar 19, 2014
Location: Glasgow

Re: Anniversary day walk.

Postby mrssanta » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:49 am

No apology necessary, that was a most enjoyable read. I'm also glad I won't be compleating on Tom Buidhe but I suppose there's plenty of space there for a party! Creag Leacach is a lovely hill.
User avatar
mrssanta
Mountain Walker
 
Posts: 2884
Munros:233   Corbetts:10
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:40   
Joined: Jul 18, 2011
Location: north yorkshire moors

Re: Anniversary day walk.

Postby ancancha » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:21 am

Nice one teaandpies :clap:
A pity about this summers visibility issues :( as you say an easy area to get your tally up, but it also has interesting areas and views 8)

FYI this is how to code a link, I got it sorted out for me by Black Panther

url.jpg


I am hoping to do the following hills during the next few weeks if any of them interest you I can pick you up from bus stops or railway stations :wave:
The four 'Beinn Tulaichean - Cruach Ardrain - Ben More - Stob Binnein' from Inverlochlarig.
Looks like you have done Cruach Ardrain but not the others.
Want to do Ben Oss and Beinn Dubhchraig as well, but they are a bit of a squelch on the way in apparently :(
User avatar
ancancha
Mountain Walker
 
Posts: 985
Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Grahams:1   Donalds:1
Joined: Jun 30, 2014
Location: Killadysert

Re: Anniversary day walk.

Postby jmarkb » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:47 am

ancancha wrote:Want to do Ben Oss and Beinn Dubhchraig as well, but they are a bit of a squelch on the way in apparently


You could try this to avoid the bog:

Take the track to Cononish Farm, cross the bridge and carry on for another 1.5km on the S side of the river. Follow the W bank of the Allt Coire Chruinn, aiming for a notch on the skyline, then bouldery slopes on the W edge of Coire Cruinn to the little col between Oss and its NE top. After doing Oss and then Dubhcraig, retrace your steps to the wee lochans and take Dubhcraig's N ridge, finally dropping back down to the bridge at Cononish.
jmarkb
Mountaineer
 
Posts: 3503
Munros:240   Corbetts:86
Grahams:74   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:39   
Joined: Oct 28, 2011
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Anniversary day walk.

Postby ancancha » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:39 pm

jmarkb wrote:
ancancha wrote:Want to do Ben Oss and Beinn Dubhchraig as well, but they are a bit of a squelch on the way in apparently


You could try this to avoid the bog:

Take the track to Cononish Farm, cross the bridge and carry on for another 1.5km on the S side of the river. Follow the W bank of the Allt Coire Chruinn, aiming for a notch on the skyline, then bouldery slopes on the W edge of Coire Cruinn to the little col between Oss and its NE top. After doing Oss and then Dubhcraig, retrace your steps to the wee lochans and take Dubhcraig's N ridge, finally dropping back down to the bridge at Cononish.


I did take a look at biker hiking this, but wasn't sure how easy it would be for me to get up from the end of the track :?:
You say that I can more or less get around this way :?:


Ben Oss & Beinn Dubhcraig.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

User avatar
ancancha
Mountain Walker
 
Posts: 985
Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Grahams:1   Donalds:1
Joined: Jun 30, 2014
Location: Killadysert

Re: Anniversary day walk.

Postby teaandpies » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:40 pm

mrssanta wrote:No apology necessary, that was a most enjoyable read. I'm also glad I won't be compleating on Tom Buidhe but I suppose there's plenty of space there for a party! Creag Leacach is a lovely hill.


We seen the party head up as Tom Buidhe as we headed up Tolmount. We didn't linger on top very long because the wind was hellish, something I never mentioned in the report. As we approached TB we seen the party a good bit down the hill...I guess they didn't fancy the wind either.
The hill doesn't take away from the achievement and I think I picked up somebody mentioning that it was fairly local to them so I guess it made a bit of sense.

ancancha wrote:I am hoping to do the following hills during the next few weeks if any of them interest you I can pick you up from bus stops or railway stations The four 'Beinn Tulaichean - Cruach Ardrain - Ben More - Stob Binnein' from Inverlochlarig.Looks like you have done Cruach Ardrain but not the others.Want to do Ben Oss and Beinn Dubhchraig as well, but they are a bit of a squelch on the way in apparently


Cruach Ardrain was another early hill for me, I was just following a friend up it, I didn't even know it had a twin at that point :roll:

A very kind offer, just let me know if and when. If I don't have work on that day or other 'real life' commitments I'll happily take you up on your offer.
I hope this doesn't sound cheeky but would there be room for 2 in the car? :oops:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker
 
Posts: 925
Munros:94   Corbetts:16
Grahams:8   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:6
Joined: Mar 19, 2014
Location: Glasgow

Re: Anniversary day walk.

Postby jmarkb » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:43 pm

ancancha wrote:I did take a look at biker hiking this, but wasn't sure how easy it would be for me to get up from the end of the track :?:
You say that I can more or less get around this way :?:


You don't need to go as far as the end of the track. This is what I was trying to describe: should have just posted the route!


OssDubhcrg.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

jmarkb
Mountaineer
 
Posts: 3503
Munros:240   Corbetts:86
Grahams:74   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:39   
Joined: Oct 28, 2011
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Anniversary day walk.

Postby ancancha » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:55 pm

jmarkb wrote:
ancancha wrote:I did take a look at biker hiking this, but wasn't sure how easy it would be for me to get up from the end of the track :?:
You say that I can more or less get around this way :?:


You don't need to go as far as the end of the track. This is what I was trying to describe: should have just posted the route!

No probs jmarkb.
All I really need to know is whether someone who managed all the scrambles on An Caisteal & Beinn a'Chroin, most with ease and one with a bit of effort can scramble walk up and down what looked a bit steep and craggy on Ben Oss.
Having now had another look at Google Earth I see which notch you mean and where I need to get off the track.
Thanks :thumbup:
User avatar
ancancha
Mountain Walker
 
Posts: 985
Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Grahams:1   Donalds:1
Joined: Jun 30, 2014
Location: Killadysert

Re: Anniversary day walk.

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:00 pm

Good effort in rubbish weather.

The path over to Tolmount/Tom Buidhe is easier to find from Cairn of Claise than from Carn an Tuirc - I'm guessing it was probably a good bit to the right of the route you would be on (1st couple of times I was up there I was bog hopping as well).

If it's any consolation, drove past these hills a few hours ago and it was raining and a bit miserable!!
User avatar
Gordie12
Walker
 
Posts: 1743
Munros:112   Corbetts:62
Grahams:17   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:17   
Joined: Sep 6, 2012
Location: Nr Forfar

Re: Anniversary day walk.

Postby ancancha » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:01 pm

teaandpies wrote:
ancancha wrote:I am hoping to do the following hills during the next few weeks if any of them interest you I can pick you up from bus stops or railway stations The four 'Beinn Tulaichean - Cruach Ardrain - Ben More - Stob Binnein' from Inverlochlarig.Looks like you have done Cruach Ardrain but not the others.Want to do Ben Oss and Beinn Dubhchraig as well, but they are a bit of a squelch on the way in apparently


Cruach Ardrain was another early hill for me, I was just following a friend up it, I didn't even know it had a twin at that point :roll:

A very kind offer, just let me know if and when. If I don't have work on that day or other 'real life' commitments I'll happily take you up on your offer.
I hope this doesn't sound cheeky but would there be room for 2 in the car? :oops:


Provided they are human :?:
No quadrupeds :!:

What are your days off this week, weather looked ok for Thursday :?:
Quite like to try and get up during the week as it is quieter :D
User avatar
ancancha
Mountain Walker
 
Posts: 985
Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Grahams:1   Donalds:1
Joined: Jun 30, 2014
Location: Killadysert

Re: Anniversary day walk.

Postby teaandpies » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:28 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Good effort in rubbish weather.

The path over to Tolmount/Tom Buidhe is easier to find from Cairn of Claise than from Carn an Tuirc - I'm guessing it was probably a good bit to the right of the route you would be on (1st couple of times I was up there I was bog hopping as well).

If it's any consolation, drove past these hills a few hours ago and it was raining and a bit miserable!!


Cheers. We seen a couple of walkers head straight for the Tolmount from CaT. There is a path that follows a wall and they banks off to the right but I have no idea how good it is after that as we obviously didn't go that route. We managed to catch up with them eventually and they said the path was ok.
Crazy side story, the 2 walkers we caught up with were my friends old Physics teacher from Kingussie high school and his wife was the outdoors specialist teacher that done my outdoor activities at my school Grantown Grammar.

God, I left all the interesting stuff out of my report haha

The last thing those hills need is more rain :lol:

ancancha wrote:Provided they are human


haha aye, ma walking buddy. A politer guy you won't meet.

I'm working this Thursday :roll: This is actually a bad week for me, I'll moving house :(

Please don't make your plans around my availability.
teaandpies
Mountain Walker
 
Posts: 925
Munros:94   Corbetts:16
Grahams:8   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:6
Joined: Mar 19, 2014
Location: Glasgow

Re: Anniversary day walk.

Postby ancancha » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:35 pm

teaandpies wrote:
I'm working this Thursday :roll: This is actually a bad week for me, I'll moving house :(

Please don't make your plans around my availability.


Mmm, I'm hoping to move house as well soon :!:
I'm immigrating to the highlands 8) hopefully to get rid of my allergies to quadrupeds :roll:
So was hoping to get most of these South Westerns done while I am still within striking distance; why I've been out in the rain and clag so much :lol:
Good luck with your move and new home....
User avatar
ancancha
Mountain Walker
 
Posts: 985
Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Grahams:1   Donalds:1
Joined: Jun 30, 2014
Location: Killadysert

Re: Anniversary day walk.

Postby teaandpies » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:15 pm

ancancha wrote:
teaandpies wrote:
I'm working this Thursday :roll: This is actually a bad week for me, I'll moving house :(

Please don't make your plans around my availability.


Mmm, I'm hoping to move house as well soon :!:
I'm immigrating to the highlands 8) hopefully to get rid of my allergies to quadrupeds :roll:
So was hoping to get most of these South Westerns done while I am still within striking distance; why I've been out in the rain and clag so much :lol:
Good luck with your move and new home....


Cheers, I'm only moving next door but it's still a bloody hassle.

Where in the highlands are you thinking of going? I'm from Strathspey and I can tell you dogs out number humans there...or it feels that way.

Are you planning on doing the 4 hills in a single walk?
teaandpies
Mountain Walker
 
Posts: 925
Munros:94   Corbetts:16
Grahams:8   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:6
Joined: Mar 19, 2014
Location: Glasgow

Re: Anniversary day walk.

Postby jmarkb » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:50 pm

ancancha wrote:All I really need to know is whether someone who managed all the scrambles on An Caisteal & Beinn a'Chroin, most with ease and one with a bit of effort can scramble walk up and down what looked a bit steep and craggy on Ben Oss.


The terrain is a bit rough in places (steep grass and some boulder fields), but there's nothing as hard as the steep scrambly bit on Beinn a'Chroin.
jmarkb
Mountaineer
 
Posts: 3503
Munros:240   Corbetts:86
Grahams:74   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:39   
Joined: Oct 28, 2011
Location: Edinburgh

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).
Next



Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?



Return to Walk reports - Scotland

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: arethuza, Aurelien, davgil, ex drummer, Judys, Phox, theformerastronomer and 30 guests