walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Blisters, bites and a nasty rash...oh and three Munros

Blisters, bites and a nasty rash...oh and three Munros

Postby railton22 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:45 pm

Route description: Creag Meagaidh circuit

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Liath (Creag Meagaidh), Creag Meagaidh, Stob Poite Coire Àrdair

Date walked: 19/08/2015

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 21.57 km

Ascent: 1383m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Unfortunately broke out in a hideous rash a few days before this walk. Any hopes that my upper torso would stop looking like strawberries mushed with a potato masher were futile. The only change to my yucky rash was that it got bigger, redder, itchier and uglier. Great.

Still no rash was going to prevent me from making the most of a gorgeous August day when the mountains are whispering their most seductive sweet nothings in my ears.

So antihistamines and a day on the hills it is then.

Creag Meagaidh car park easy to find and plenty of space although only a handful of cars there. C'mon people, wake up and get outside; you just can't beat a mountain walk when it's such top weather.

DSC05481Creag Meagaidh.jpg
Creag Meagaidh. Nice board telling you useful stuff.

DSC05484Creag Meagaidh.jpg
....and they're off.

The park also had a very nice unisex loo; smelt very un-loo like, which is always a positive.

The ascent began almost straight away.

DSC05483Creag Meagaidh.jpg
Views across to Fersit (and some Munros that we've climbed)

DSC05485Creag Meagaidh.jpg
The window winking at us looking all benign and not at all like a boulderfest

Lovely path until the turn to the right onto a rather challenging path; boggy, muddy, rocky and you had to hack your way through the ferns and trees.

DSC05493Creag Meagaidh.jpg
Bogfest and jungle behind us, the dog finds a lovely spot to spend the day and encourages to go on; he kindly offered to "look after the lunch" too.

DSC05497Creag Meagaidh.jpg
I wish she'd stop fussing me, go off on her walk and just leave that lunch backpack

As it was at the beginning of the walk we sucked it up and fought our way through with nary a swear word or a grumble. It took us 2 hours exactly to reach the summit of Carn Liath. Great views too.

DSC05505CarnLiath.jpg
The Hubs says hello to Munro No 72, Carn Liath

DSC05509CarnLiath.jpg
Munro No 72 for me

Few photos and then onto the next one........which was miiiiiles away. Lovely walking along the top and now cooler after the burning sun on our ascent. The cooling wind was great on my tragic tortured skin but within the space of a few paces the warm, steady zephyr had morphed into an evil katabatic wind that was both freezing (out come the gloves) and strong enough to knock me off my feet.

DSC05515Stob Poite a'Choire Ardair.jpg
On the way to Stob Poite a' Choire Ardair (or "Fred" as we affectionately dubbed it)

DSC05518Stob Poite a'Choire Ardair.jpg
The dog gets all impatient on the way to Munro No 73 as it is a truth universally acknowledged that when a hill walker hits a summit cairn, lunch is sure to follow

DSC05519Stob Poite a'Choire Ardair.jpg
The nipple-shaped Stob Poite a' Choire Ardair is close...but not close enough

Conditions remained challenging on the long trek to Stob Poite Coire Ardair and we hastily celebrated Munro No 73 with a "yeah" and two photos before high tailing it down to the window and the final Munro, Creag Meagaidh.

DSC05523Stob Poite a'Choire Ardair.jpg
"Fred" Munro No 73 for the Hubs

DSC05526Stob Poite a'Choire Ardair.jpg
Yay! Not been blown over and another Munro beneath my boots. Stob Poite a' Choire Ardair

DSC05527Creag Meagaidh.jpg
Dropping down to the window before the mighty Creag Meagaidh

The force 10 put paid to any plans for a nice lunch stop and the grim grey clouds building spurred us on to claim our final Munro of the day.

DSC05535Creag Meagaidh.jpg
Whoo hoo! Munro No 74. Hello Creag Meagaidh you little beauty!

DSC05537Creag Meagaidh.jpg
Creag Meagaidh summit cairn. Need some lunch now.....

At this point the Hubs discovered that he had a 50p sized blister right on the base of his heel and a pair of nasty bites (horsefly??? pterodactyl??) on his calf and shoulder respectively.

DSC05530Creag Meagaidh.jpg
Nice bit of August snow on Creag Meagaidh descent

DSC05533Creag Meagaidh.jpg
Raising his standards somewhat with some freshly melted snow (the dog usually goes for the liquid part of a cow pat as his drink of choice)

DSC05539Creag Meagaidh.jpg
Ice, ice baby on Creag Meagaidh

After a much-needed lunch break at Mad Meg's cairn on the return, the walking wounded hauled themselves down to the Window and the massive boulder field tumbling out of it.

DSC05528TheWindow.jpg
The Window

DSC05542Window.jpg
Wobbly knees and weak ankles not an option around here.

Challenging descent but between us we escaped with all eight legs intact (counting the dog in this, no we don't live near Sellafield).

Very long walk back but very straightforward and well-maintained track took us all the way back to the car.

DSC05543Window.jpg
Locan Coire Ardair beneath some very impressive cliffs.

Off to slather myself in Calamine and pop more antihistamines and the Hubs has a date with a sterile needle to pop that beast of a blister. Walked by David, Sarah and Nudge
railton22
Mountaineer

Munros:186   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Blisters, bites and a nasty rash...oh and three Munros

Postby Scotjamie » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:14 pm

Very enjoyable report and obviously a great day for it.... apart from wind. cold, blisters, boulders and bites!! Well done.
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby ancancha » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:28 pm

The window looks like good fun 8)
Still snow :shock:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby penelope1 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:58 am

What a lovely walk report and great photos too!

Longing to reprise these three at some point, when I first walked them about 15 years ago I chose 'the long way round' descending off the eastern side of Meagaidh in darkness as I recall.

Was up the Coire Ardair path recently and completely missed the small path going off to the right, will have to look harder next time!
penelope1

Munros:222   Corbetts:87
Fionas:6   Donalds:4

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland