walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meallach Mhor - Glen Tromie

Meallach Mhor - Glen Tromie

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:25 am

Corbetts included on this walk: Meallach Mhòr

Date walked: 28/08/2015

Time taken: 5.1 hours

Distance: 26.7 km

Ascent: 676m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The forecast suggested there was a pretty good chance of clag at Munro level so I decided to drop down in height a bit to do a Corbett I've wanted to do for a few months now - Meallach Mhor.

It's a long time since I've been to Glen Tromie (last century :shock: ) and things have changed a bit, you can no longer park close to the bridge over the River Tromie so I headed up the road to Drumguish and parked by the side of the road.

1.jpg
Parking in the woods

I was due some showers today and the first one was waiting for me as I got out of the car and kept me company for the first 20 minutes of the walk as I walked up to Drumguish, turned right at the crossroads and headed down to the track that runs through Glen Tromie.

Once on the Glen Tromie track it's a straight forward walk up the glen.

2.jpg
Heading up the glen

3.jpg
Looking back, sun now out and dark clouds heading off to bother someone else

It felt like it took ages to reach Glentromie Lodge then I realised that on the previous two occasions I had been up this way I had been on the bike up to Gaick Lodge :? :?

Once I reached the ugly building below the track switched to a tarmac road making for a fast walk up the glen as it went from being fairly enclosed to a more open moorland with fenced off areas of pine trees which seem to be growing well (I can't remember seeing them the last time I was here).

4.jpg

5.jpg
Views opening up

Once I reached Bhran Cottage (after about 6.3 miles) Meallach Mhor came in to view.

6.jpg
Bhran Cottage

7.jpg
Meallach Mhor

I hadn't stopped prior to Bhran Cottage and as I knew this was roughly where I would leave the road I hadn't checked the map or read my notes so was surprised to see Meallach Mhor so close as I had been focusing on a hill further up the glen thinking that was my target.

After the cottage I stayed with the road for a couple of hundred metres then just headed off to the left in a straight line for the hill. Initially, close to the road it's a touch on the damp side walking through the grass/heather. After only a few yards I was surprised to see a fairly large lochan (not shown in my 1991 version OS map - it's served me well) which I passed on the right hand side. Still a bit damp at this stage but the flat ground will soon be behind me and the climb will start so hopefully drier ground ahead.

8.jpg

The initial climb is quite steep through long heather but it doesn't take long before I'm able to use a couple of areas where the heather has been burnt (probably last year). There are also one or two rocky outcrops which are easily avoided.

9.jpg
Heathers looking good just now

10.jpg
Looking down on the lochan

Quite quickly I reach shorter heather and the gradient eases so easier walking with views opening up to the south and down towards Loch ant-Seilich and beyond.

11.jpg
Loch ant-Seilich

12.jpg
First sight of the summit

After the main climb there is an easy walk over the plateau to the summit cairn with great views in all directions.

13.jpg
Summit cairn with Loch ant-Seilich and a further lochan in the background

14.jpg
Meall Chuaich (?) behind the cairn - looks good from the east

15.jpg
Looking over towards Newtonmore

After a good look around I retraced my steps back down to the road although I ended up coming out 100 yards further up the glen (trying to find the driest route closer to the lochan).

16.jpg
Reaching the road and looking back to the hill

17.jpg
River Tromie

With the sun still shining it was time for the 6 odd mile walk back down the glen.

18.jpg
This chap thought it would be a good idea to cross the road - hope he made it

19.jpg

20.jpg

With half an hour left the rain came back on but it was never that heavy. Made it back to the car in good time.

Good hill this one, not everybody's cup of tea with a fair amount of tarmac but it makes for a quick walk. Non purists would take a 2 wheeled contraption with them and it would knock a fair amount of time off as it would be easy cycling both ways as there are no steep hills to negotiate.

The bridge close to Ruthven Barracks is currently closed off so access is from Kincraig.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: Meallach Mhor - Glen Tromie

Postby BoyVertiginous » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:05 pm

Nice hill and report, Gordie, well-earned by the walk-in/out.

Was up here last weekend .... on a 2-wheeled contraption! No apologies for that as was adding Carn Dearg Mor first and training for an event next week. Very strong winds last Sunday so cycle-in took over an hour (to the second weir beyond the croft) while the wind-assisted return took a mere 20mins. Most welcome as we hadn't known about the bridge closure and added an hour to our drive.

Cracking hills with MM, although lower, offering the better views of the two.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:22 pm

BoyVertiginous wrote:Nice hill and report, Gordie, well-earned by the walk-in/out.

Was up here last weekend .... on a 2-wheeled contraption! No apologies for that as was adding Carn Dearg Mor first and training for an event next week. Very strong winds last Sunday so cycle-in took over an hour (to the second weir beyond the croft) while the wind-assisted return took a mere 20mins. Most welcome as we hadn't known about the bridge closure and added an hour to our drive.

I did Leathad an Taobhain & Carn Dearg Mor from Glen Feshie in May so this hill was sitting there all on it's own just asking to be climbed. I thought about adding this hill on at the time but in the end decided to leave it for another day.

Hope the training went well and good luck with your event next week (what are you doing??).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:39 am

Glen Tromie in purple! What a treat, plus another Corbett added to the list.

We did MM on its own the same way, too, but returned along the ridge over Croidh-la (good viewpoint). I remember it was a cloudy-ish day and with clag covering the Munros we opted for a lower hill to get the views. When I first saw the lodge, I wondered why a council block was built in such remote location :lol: :lol:

Still two weeks to go before we'll be able to venture out on the hills, but Kevin's injury is healing well so fingers crossed...
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby BoyVertiginous » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:11 pm

Gordie12 wrote:
BoyVertiginous wrote:Nice hill and report, Gordie, well-earned by the walk-in/out.

I did Leathad an Taobhain & Carn Dearg Mor from Glen Feshie in May so this hill was sitting there all on it's own just asking to be climbed. I thought about adding this hill on at the time but in the end decided to leave it for another day.

Hope the training went well and good luck with your event next week (what are you doing??).

Mmm ... have Leathad an Taobhain to do, need to put some though into that and may have to consider the two-wheeled contraption again, maybe a Feshie/Tromie loop?! Bumped into a lady by the Bhran who was doing just that. Just a wee triathlon next weekend, thanks, the bike section is off-road and, as a consequence, have been spending more time on the MTB than I'd like.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Postby dogplodder » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:20 pm

Thanks for this - you've just added one to my list. Great shots of the heather! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:56 pm

BlackPanther wrote:Glen Tromie in purple! What a treat, plus another Corbett added to the list.

We did MM on its own the same way, too, but returned along the ridge over Croidh-la (good viewpoint). I remember it was a cloudy-ish day and with clag covering the Munros we opted for a lower hill to get the views. When I first saw the lodge, I wondered why a council block was built in such remote location :lol: :lol:

Still two weeks to go before we'll be able to venture out on the hills, but Kevin's injury is healing well so fingers crossed...

Hi BP - I was thinking the same thing about that building.

I bet you can't wait to get back out in the hills again.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:02 pm

BoyVertiginous wrote:
Gordie12 wrote:

Mmm ... have Leathad an Taobhain to do, need to put some though into that and may have to consider the two-wheeled contraption again, maybe a Feshie/Tromie loop?! Bumped into a lady by the Bhran who was doing just that. Just a wee triathlon next weekend, thanks, the bike section is off-road and, as a consequence, have been spending more time on the MTB than I'd like.

With Carn Dearg Mor it worked out at 35.6km from Glen Feshie - 8hrs of purist walking. The contraption could be utilised to reduce that time by a fair bit and any excuse to visit Glen Feshie should be taken :D
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:03 pm

dogplodder wrote:Thanks for this - you've just added one to my list. Great shots of the heather! :D

Thanks dogplodder - in fairness you have added hills to my list on numerous occasions :lol: :lol:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Beaner001 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:38 am

Another great Corbett report Gordie! your bringing a good few to my attention within reasonable driving distance :clap:
That lodge is a fair eyesore on the landscape :(
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby BoyVertiginous » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:37 pm

Gordie12 wrote:With Carn Dearg Mor it worked out at 35.6km from Glen Feshie - 8hrs of purist walking. The contraption could be utilised to reduce that time by a fair bit and any excuse to visit Glen Feshie should be taken :D

Thanks for the info - and no offence taken :lol: In my, somewhat shaky, defence I have to factor in a 6-hr road trip to get here/back but, agree re-Feshie.

Incidentally, did you look inside Bhran Cottage? Some interesting/pioneering scribblings on the walls, for example...
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:44 pm

Beaner001 wrote:Another great Corbett report Gordie! your bringing a good few to my attention within reasonable driving distance :clap:
That lodge is a fair eyesore on the landscape :(

Hi Beaner001 - my new theory, good visibility - Munro time, not so good - happy to visit my nearest Corbetts (looks like Corgaff area next).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:45 pm

BoyVertiginous wrote:
Gordie12 wrote:With Carn Dearg Mor it worked out at 35.6km from Glen Feshie - 8hrs of purist walking. The contraption could be utilised to reduce that time by a fair bit and any excuse to visit Glen Feshie should be taken :D

Thanks for the info - and no offence taken :lol: In my, somewhat shaky, defence I have to factor in a 6-hr road trip to get here/back but, agree re-Feshie.

Incidentally, did you look inside Bhran Cottage? Some interesting/pioneering scribblings on the walls, for example...

Never ventured inside, wish I did as this is the sort of stuff I enjoy reading.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby bfolan » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:46 pm

great pics, Glentromie & Gaick are magic, love the bike ride up to Gaick Lodge, always stop by the avalanche monument to the "Catastrophe of Gaick" on the site of the old Gaick Lodge, just on from the current house. Wild country up there :thumbup:
bfolan
Hill Bagger

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:59 pm

bfolan wrote:great pics, Glentromie & Gaick are magic, love the bike ride up to Gaick Lodge, always stop by the avalanche monument to the "Catastrophe of Gaick" on the site of the old Gaick Lodge, just on from the current house. Wild country up there :thumbup:

Hi bfolan - agree with you, it Is a great place sometimes overlooked with Glen Feshie next door.
Gordie12
Wanderer

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland