walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Donich

Ben Donich

Postby Manders91 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:03 am

Route description: Ben Donich, via Rest and Be Thankful

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Donich

Date walked: 02/09/2015

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 7.4 km

Ascent: 847m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is my first report so bear with me!

First of all, the access to Ben Donich was really easy to find, only a short distance along the B828 from the Rest and Be Thankful. There is a Forestry Commission sign for Open Hill Access, take that turning and then park before the gate. From there, its a straight track until a sign on the left hand side for Ben Donich Access.

We set off along the really well defined path through a felled area until a gate.

The path is pretty clear for the duration of the walk with a few wee grassy/boggy areas on the way up.
It can be quite rocky in places along the path but it just made for a more interesting walk. There are also some ridges and holes along the way so I can imagine if you were to stray from the path in snow, you'd easily miss these and some of them are pretty deep!

After about 40 minutes we thought we almost reached the top, I thought this was strange given the report said around 3.5-4.5 hours all in. Sure enough, we were right...once you reach the first peak you realise there are more to go. It can be a wee bit disheartening when you reach the top of a peak to realise there is another one to go. Turns out there were 4.

After a wee scramble down into what looked like Lord of the Rings territory and after a short climb back up, eventually, we reached the trig point! You just take the same path back down,
The walk up took around 2 hours and about 1.5 down and it was well worth it!
IMG_4928.jpg2.jpg
View from the top!

The views were incredible! We were really lucky to have a clear day. I thought these views far surpassed those from Ben Lomond! I'd definitely recommend the walk! It's a short one, but a good one!
Manders91
Mountain Walker

Munros:3   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland