walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A different route up (and down) Ben Ledi

A different route up (and down) Ben Ledi

Postby bootsandpaddles » Mon May 10, 2010 4:52 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Ledi

Date walked: 10/05/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 17 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Fancied a shortish walk not too far from home today. I've been up Ben Ledi lots of times and wanted to try a new route. Parked at Bochastle near Kilmahog. A new path leads across the hillside in a southwesterly direction through a Woodland Trust plantation - or it will be I think when they have planted some trees. It goes underneath Samson's Putting Stone and the hillfort and then you turn up the hill aiming for the corner of the forestry. From there it is just a case of following the ridge of Ben Ledi until you meet the tourist path. There is one low wire fence to cross and two deer fences with gates. After the summit of Ben Ledi you carry straight on as though you were heading for Ben Vane, past the lochan and then branch off east along the ridge to Ardnandave Hill. Then down towards Stank Glen where you can pick up the path that takes you to Sustrans Route 7 alongside Loch Lubnaig and the Falls of Leny and back to Kilmahog. A bit boggy in places but loads of wild flowers and some huge hairy caterpillars.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Re: A different route up (and down) Ben Ledi

Postby monty » Mon May 10, 2010 8:26 pm

Hi Boots.....
With a climb of 700m that would make a good training ground similar to the Ochils in my neck of the woods. :D
monty

Postby bootsandpaddles » Tue May 11, 2010 7:42 am

Yes, we are lucky to have some good hills nearby to keep us fit for trips further afield. No need for a gym subscription! I think we always underestimate what we have on our doorstep. If you avoid the crowds by not going at the weekend (I saw 2 people in the distance) this an excellent walk with great scenery. :D
bootsandpaddles

Postby mountain coward » Tue May 11, 2010 4:35 pm

bootsandpaddles wrote:Yes, we are lucky to have some good hills nearby to keep us fit for trips further afield. No need for a gym subscription! I think we always underestimate what we have on our doorstep. If you avoid the crowds by not going at the weekend (I saw 2 people in the distance) this an excellent walk with great scenery. :D

Yeah, I can never understand paying to go to a gym! And are you saying people spoil the view? :D
mountain coward

Postby bootsandpaddles » Tue May 11, 2010 5:25 pm

Most people certainly don't enhance the view at all! :lol:
bootsandpaddles

Postby mountain coward » Tue May 11, 2010 5:29 pm

Anyone done this from the Glen Finglas side?
mountain coward

Postby bootsandpaddles » Tue May 11, 2010 8:43 pm

Yes, I have. It makes it possible to do a circular route including Ben Vane.
bootsandpaddles

Postby mountain coward » Wed May 12, 2010 9:10 am

Which side would you say was the nicer route?
mountain coward

Postby bootsandpaddles » Wed May 12, 2010 12:10 pm

If I had to choose I would say the Glen Finglas side was the best approach because it does allow for the circular walk. But there is not much in it. I don't think many people do Ben Ledi from that side so there isn't a path once you get on to the open hillside.
bootsandpaddles

Postby mountain coward » Wed May 12, 2010 6:27 pm

Well I was fancying seeing Glen Finglas anyway so I'll probably go that way - thanks for that
mountain coward

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland