walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ime on the road to recovery and down to my last hundred!

Ime on the road to recovery and down to my last hundred!

Postby Graeme D » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:28 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ìme

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Luibhean

Date walked: 04/09/2015

Time taken: 3.8 hours

Distance: 8.1 km

Ascent: 1000m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A week is a long time in hill walking. Seven days ago I could not have done this walk. To cut a long story short, after suffering for 5 or 6 weeks with what had started out in July as an apparent summer cold but had increasingly turned into a debilitating chest infection and rasping cough, I had gone to see my GP who, after two visits, had diagnosed a probable case of pneumonia and sent me for chest X-rays. A week long course of antibiotics seemed initially to have had little effect. :(

This was all hugely inconvenient as I had been eyeing up the first Friday evening in September as a potential hillwalking opportunity. From as far out as the previous weekend, the forecast looked favourable and with me finishing teaching by 3pm on a Friday this year, it was a golden opportunity. It would also potentially be the last or one of the last such chances I would get this year before the nights draw in and rule this sort of escapade out until the spring. But what chance did I have of managing to tackle my chosen hills, Beinn Luibhean and Beinn Ime, when even the two flights of stairs to my room at work were leaving me short of breath? :crazy:

However, I awoke on the Thursday feeling much better and by the Friday, I was confident I was fit enough to tackle a short but steep challenge such as Luibhean and Ime.

As the Law of Sod would have it, my escape from Colditz was delayed by having to deal with the aftermath of some Friday afternoon shenanigans and so by the time I had negotiated the A85 to Crianlarich, the A82 to Tarbet (including the most unpleasant section of A road known to man) and the A83 through Arrochar and up into Glen Croe, it was after 5 o'clock before I pulled into the little parking space just south of the bridge on the east side of the road immediately at the foot of the south ridge of Luibhean. And the pleasant weather of most of the journey had turned into a heavy drizzle! What is it about the Arrochar hills I wondered? I've never had anything other than crap weather when I've walked here! And I'd forgotten my trousers! Oh well, good job I had put a pair of shorts in the car for changing into for the drive home, otherwise I'd have been walking in my work trousers! So, waterproofed up (waterproof trousers over shorts is quite a cool way to travel actually), I set off over the extremely iffy looking sloping bridge and past the dead eye stare of the sheep skull perched on a rock by the edge of the river. Is this an omen? Maybe I should just have stayed home and celebrated the end of the antibiotics by drinking beer next to the fire!

Anyway, initial bad vibes were soon forgotten about as the next few hours turned into a very memorable outing. The rain cleared up, the cloud came and went but for the most part it went, and I came through without any ill effects. If anything, the exertion and the fresh air have probably helped to speed up the final demise of the pneumonia.

And I claimed my 182nd Munro leaving me just the slight matter of 100 more to nail. Happy days!

A grizzly start

The south ridge of Luibhean - not looking too promising

The Brack across the shoulder of The Cobbler and Glen Croe

Beinn Narnain and The Cobbler

Narnain and the Cobbler behind the Bealach a'Mhaim

Beinn Ime

Ben Donich

The Cobbler and The Brack

Ben Donich and Beinn an'Lochain

Beinn Ime

Narnain and The Cobbler

Beinn an'Lochain and Loch Restil (Loch Fyne just visible in the background)

The summit of Luibhean

Beinn Chorranach and Beinn Ime

The Cobbler and The Brack from the Luibhean/Ime bealach

The Cobbler and a mini-Cobbler?

Beinn Luibhean from the ascent of the western slopes of Beinn Ime

The Cobbler (again)

Onto the Ime tourist track

Narnain

East down Coiregrogain to Lochs Lomond, Arklet and Katrine

Clag back down approaching summit of Ime

The three lochs once again

Luibhean through the clouds

Getting a bit nippy now to be hanging about up here this time on a September evening

Availing myself of the shelter cairn

Ben Vane and Ben Vorlich behind, with Inversnaid Hotel visible on the far shore of Loch Lomond

Vane and Vorlich once more

Narnain and a distant Ben Lomond

Narnain and The Cobbler and through to the Luss hills

Ben Lomond across Narnain and A'Chrois

Narnain and The Cobbler, just for the hell of it

Cloud spinning past The Cobbler

Narnain and the only other folks I saw all evening

The Brack and Ben Donich and the road home

The north face of The Cobbler

Night closing in on Ben Donich

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Ime on the road to recovery and down to my last hundred!

Postby ancancha » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:39 pm

Some nice photos of the sun going down Graeme D :clap:
I've never had much luck with the weather on Ime and Narnain either, but still great mountains.
Glad you are back in action :wink:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:46 pm

5 miles for the two of them - why did I not include Luibhean when I was down that way???

Some great photos, must try this late in the day walking thing rather than being first out of the car park all the time.

Good to see you are feeling better but running out of daylight with your 3pm finishes must be a bit of a bugger. Still, 12 weeks holiday should help to console you :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby kevsbald » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:19 pm

Glad to hear you're on the mend.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby PeteR » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:33 pm

Glad you survived the walk Graeme. I was laid up with something the doctors couldn't bottom out at the start of the year and it took me weeks to get it out my system. Any walks totally floored me, so at least your antibiotics seem to have done the trick for you.

Some atmospheric shots on your walk too, with the cloud coming and going. Arrochar was where I cut my teeth, so always like to see a report on any of the hills there.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Andy Milne » Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:44 pm

I did this route yesterday (18th March 2022) and there is now a new deer fence in the Beallach between the 2 hills. I couldn’t see a style or gate, so anyone else coming this way be prepared to have to climb over it
Andy Milne
Hill Bagger

Munros:230   Corbetts:44
Fionas:18   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:26   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:3   

Postby NeepNeep » Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:13 am

I did a variation of this route from butterbridge last year and the deer fence was in place. We found a gate at approx NN 249 080 which is slightly North (and downhill!!) of the Bealach. Hope that helps any future walkers.
NeepNeep
Stravaiging

Munros:105   Corbetts:28
Fionas:10   Donalds:5
Hewitts:75
Wainwrights:79   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland