walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Odhar from Tyndrum

Meall Odhar from Tyndrum

Postby rob munbett » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:50 am

Fionas included on this walk: Meall Odhar

Date walked: 04/09/2015

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was heading up to Corran bunkhouse for a weekend with my friends. I thought I'd break my journey with a hill on the way up and since the cloud was down on the 'big hills', I thought Meall Odhar would be ideal - and so it proved. I parked at Tyndrum lower station, crossed the railway and turned immediately right along a forest road. After about five minutes I reached the rocky stream bed on the left and started finding the best route up. Soon, I arrived at the old lead-mines and wound my way up on the obvious zig-zag track through the desolate landscape. At the top of this track I headed over towards the summit of Sron nan Colan and had my first sight of Meall Odhar.
P1020847.JPG
Summit of Sron nan Colan (r) with Meall Odhar beyond
Over the top of SnC, I started a descent towards Creag Bhuidhe on soft ground and quickly reached to top corner of the forest.
P1020850.JPG
Descending Sron nan Colan looking over to Creag Bhuidhe (r) and Meall Odhar (l)
P1020851.JPG
Looking back to Sron nan Colan
From here, the route was clear - follow the obvious rib of white rock (with a fence-line,too) to the summit plateau. There was even a bit of a path - on a Graham!
P1020853.JPG
Meall Odhar from the corner of the forest (summit on right)
P1020855.JPG
Looking up the 'rocky rib'
Getting over to the summit was simply case of turning right at the top of the 'rib' and strolling over to the large cairn. Unfortunately, the views were limited by the low cloud but at least my top was clear.
P1020857.JPG
The summit cairn of meall Odhar with Beinn Chuirn in cloud
It was pretty breezy and a light drizzle was falling so I decided not to linger. On the way up, I had noticed a bit of a man-made shelter near the outflow from the lochan, so I headed back down the rib and sat there to enjoy a bit of lunch before heading back down my route of ascent.
P1020859.JPG
Descending the 'rocky rib' towards the sheltered lunch spot

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

Re: Meall Odhar from Tyndrum

Postby GillC » Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:42 pm

Pinching this wee route for next week,,been trying to get back into upwards walking lol dodgy knees been keeping me low level,,looks like a good one to kickstart the hills again.

:D
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Re: Meall Odhar from Tyndrum

Postby jmarkb » Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:23 pm

It's a nice wee hill! The white rib is an interesting feature - as far as I can tell from geology mapping it is a continuation of the vein that is being mined for gold at Cononish (though maybe not for much longer according to the news today: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-67359137 ).
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland