walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Slioch

Slioch

Postby soulminer » Wed May 12, 2010 9:03 pm

Route description: Slioch, near Kinlochewe

Munros included on this walk: Slioch

Date walked: 09/05/2010

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After an epic walk in the sun on Saturday, Doogz and I had Slioch as a possible for Sunday. Woke up Sunday to some less than brilliant weather and Doogz feeling completely under it :sick: :sick: he was 'popping' a few cookies and shivering violently inside his sleeping bag - don't leave microwave meals in the car for to long a spell :twisted: Later managed to wretch so hard he tore his stomach lining :problem:
After a lengthy discussion about staying and not leaving him, I was off on my own just down the road to Incheril car park.
Left the bunkhouse around 9:00 in the drizzle and a couple of miles later the sun decided to appear. Parked up, boots on and off down the Poolewe path to Slioch.
Nice view ( for when you are buried)

A very pleasant walk with some splendid scenery to behold, and a scattering of wild goats.

Eventually reached the bridge across the Abhainn na Fhasaigh.

Took an immediate right , at the wire fence, the path that heads towards the water fall. There is a path which leads towards the river and waterfall, but took the path which heads for the 'lone tree'. Headed across the boggier area towards the rocky part of the walk.

The view back to Loch Maree

After a hard pull up the view of Coire na Sleaghaich hits you straight in the face :wtf:

Headed across to the base of the knoll where you pick up a very faint path :) - see below

View from the path top

The first Lochan

Paths upward

Decide to take the contour path above the Lochans and headed for the summit of the knoll with a view of the trig point
and another, smaller, lochan

Across and up towards the Trig point.
Phoned Doogz, whilst standing atop the trig point, to enquire after his health and to check the Hospital hadn't received a new patient. He was fine so concidered the rest of the walk to Sgurr an Thuil Bhan.
The view back

Summit cairn, always touch both :thumbup:

View along the fine ridge to Sgurr an Thuill Bhan

more photos

Decided to complete the loop and took these

Photographed Shreks head

Cairn on Sgurr an Thuil Bhan

Headed out toward the route in a happy man.
Thanks to Steve from inverness for taking the two shots for me, and :wave: to the elderly couple I had met on the way up and on the way out- sorry you missed the views you wanted.
Last edited by soulminer on Fri May 14, 2010 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soulminer

Re: Slioch

Postby Stretch » Wed May 12, 2010 11:26 pm

Fantastic stuff Soulminer!
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Wed May 12, 2010 11:41 pm

"Shrek's head" :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was more than a little knackered when I did this mountain a couple of years ago after a very hot day on Alligin the day before. The view over Letterewe and Fisherfield forests was incomparable though, and worth every bit of effort.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby kevsbald » Thu May 13, 2010 8:29 am

Excellent stuff - poor Doogz. I was in the hotel overnight - if i'd known he had D&V, I would have asked for a poo sample. :lol:
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby stomper » Thu May 13, 2010 8:15 pm

greatv report must say that Slioch is one of my favourite mountains which i would love to do. once i have completed munros Slioch would probably be the first to do again
stomper
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Donalds:1
Hewitts:70
Wainwrights:140   

Postby Glenrothes » Thu May 13, 2010 8:25 pm

Great report and photos Davy and Doogz is real happy you got his car back in one piece!!!! :lol: :wink:
Glenrothes

Postby soulminer » Fri May 14, 2010 12:10 pm

The Silver Hearse might have been required if Doogz had not improved, :angel: and what are you inferring about my driving ? :shifty: :lol:
Cheers G-Man 8)
soulminer

Postby kinley » Fri May 14, 2010 5:41 pm

Nice one Davey 8)

Cracker of a hill, nestled between Torridon and Fisherfield :D

Nice to see the feral goats again 8)

Some great snaps - bring back great memories 8) Cheers :)
kinley

Postby Graeme D » Fri May 14, 2010 7:23 pm

stomper wrote:greatv report must say that Slioch is one of my favourite mountains which i would love to do. once i have completed munros Slioch would probably be the first to do again

Yeah, the day we did Slioch in summer 2008, the weather conditions really did not do it justice. It was a bit grey and claggy, but even still, an epic mountain walk. Will definitely revisit this one in better weather. Let's face it - any excuse for a few pints in the bar of the Kinlochewe Hotel! :lol: Love the picture of Coire na Sleaghaich - the spot you were standing in to take that shot must be about exactly the same spot where the dog ate my lunch that day. :lol: Like you, I recall the impression of the view "hitting you right in the face". Also like the shot of the first lochan - looks almost identical to the lochan half way up Ben Vrackie! :o
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland