walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Our first Munro

Our first Munro

Postby Wordsmith » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:06 pm

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 07/09/2015

Time taken: 7 hours

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We had such good weather for this climb - it was warm with clear skies, albeit a bit misty. Good weather really makes all the difference - I can't imagine going through that slog and then not getting those fantastic views from the top!

I really struggled the walk up - all those false summits were quite disheartening, and when I got over the last one and saw the final walk to the top, I felt like it would be impossible, but needless to say we kept on keeping on. :)

It was so worth it! We reached the top at around 5.30, and it was just us and 3 others there. The views of the other mountains and the loch were spectacular, and I felt so proud to have kept pushing on. We made friends with a couple on the way up, who convinced us to walk down via the Ptarmigan Ridge. Glad we did, but was equally glad to see the car when we got back to Rowardennan!

Also, side note - tesco Midge spray seems to work! We were devouered on Goat Fell, but not here. No midges on the route up, but the Ridge was teeming, and we don't seem to have been bitten.

Success!
Wordsmith
Bird-watcher

Munros:1   Corbetts:1

Re: Our first Munro

Postby dav2930 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:21 pm

That's what it's all about. What's next?

PS That Tesco midge spray sounds worth a try! :lol:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:17   Donalds:52
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland