walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A fine day on Schiehallion

A fine day on Schiehallion

Postby RobertD_UK » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:18 pm

Route description: Schiehallion

Munros included on this walk: Schiehallion

Date walked: 05/09/2015

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 770m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The weather forecast looking not too bad, I headed out for Schiehallion. This is a hill I’ve been meaning to climb for a while but there hadn’t been a good day for it.

Car park was pretty full when I got there but I got the van parked and pulled on the boots and hit the trail up. There were a few people around but there was plenty of space.

It was a little overcast but the sun was coming out. It was breezy and the wind was keeping the temperature down.

The trail up is very good. A nice path up about 1/2 of the hill until it reaches a cairn marking the end of the trail and the beginning of the boulder field.

The boulder field was very slow going. Even with walking poles, it was difficult to pick my way through. But a bit of care and I got to the summit. The wind was fairly blowing at the top but I found a nice bit of shelter to have some lunch. There was a steady stream of people getting to the summit and very carefully taking photos of themselves.

Heading down was much quicker as sticking to the very slight ridge made things easier. And once back at the path a pleasant walk down as the sun was now fully out and the wind was dying down.

A lovely day out. But enough of me rambling, here’s the photos :-)
DSC01061.jpg

DSC01078-HDR.jpg

DSC01090-HDR.jpg

DSC01100.jpg

DSC01115-HDR.jpg

DSC01129-HDR.jpg

DSC01143-HDR.jpg

DSC01147.jpg

DSC01154-HDR.jpg

DSC01154-HDR.jpg

DSC01158.jpg

DSC01198-HDR.jpg
Attachments
DSC01054-HDR.jpg
RobertD_UK
Mountaineer

Munros:2   Corbetts:1
Donalds:1

Re: A fine day on Schiehallion

Postby SecretSquirrel » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:26 am

Looks like you got a good day for it, some nice panoramic shots there. I remember Schiehallion being my introduction to boulder fields, boulders big enough to use as stepping stones and more importantly don't roll when you step on them! :wink:
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Munros:124   Corbetts:26
Fionas:24   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:1

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland