walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Dalwhinnie to Culra Bothy via mountain bike?

Dalwhinnie to Culra Bothy via mountain bike?

Postby Lifeonloop » Wed May 12, 2010 6:39 pm

We are considering walking the four Munro`s of Carn Dearg,Geal-Charn, Aonach Beag and Beinn Eibhinn from Culra Bothy in June but its a 16km walk in from Dalwhinnie. Has anyone cycled in from Dalwhinnie before? I`m interested to know what the track is like up to the Bothy. I`m aware its passable in a 4x4 but whats it like on a bike? I`m not much of a cyclist and I dont own an ultralight dual suspension bike so if its one of these tracks where I spend most of my time carrying the bloody thing then I think I would rather walk the whole way another time ( I want to be back before tea time to watch the world cup!). On the otherhand if its reasonably flat with a lot decent rideable path were we can shave a few hours then we plan on overnighting at the Bothy the night before then riding out the following day.
Lifeonloop
Munro compleatist

Munros:60   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:67
Wainwrights:113   

Re: Dalwhinnie to Culra Bothy via mountain bike?

Postby Seamus » Wed May 12, 2010 6:53 pm

Yes well doable and advisable must admit. It was a few years ago now when we cycled in before climbing Ben Alder and Bheinn Bheoil. As to the ups and downs along the way, well to be honest there aren't too many without the odd climb here or there but just remember you need to go down it on the way back :) Well doable on the bike and recommended IMHO. Good Luck...
Seamus
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:1

Postby magicdin » Wed May 12, 2010 6:57 pm

track is great for cycling - can get bike all the way to the bothy - did it in 2006 - took about one & half hours each way
worst bit is getting the bike over the suspension bridge
on the way out I shouldered the bike and tramped though the river which was low :D
culra is a terrific bothy
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby stomper » Wed May 12, 2010 7:15 pm

one of my favourite walk ins or should i say cycle ins. From Dalwinie there is a 7/10mile tarmac road you cycle on then it changes to track all the way to the bothy. If you get a few good days of weather than you will love it. I would definately do it again. The bothey is not too bad well alot better than some i have seen
stomper
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Donalds:1
Hewitts:70
Wainwrights:140   

Postby audreywaugh » Wed May 12, 2010 9:31 pm

Yep agree with everyone, good for cycling, bit of a sandy track just before the suspension bridge, I didn't attempt trying to cycle over it!! :lol: walked across it very slowly with bike, wobbly but fun. Cycled in and out on same day after doing Alder circuit, took 10 hours in all....do remember thinking wish I'd made my pack lighter as my bum was killing me by end of day :shock: but was quick on the way back. Hope you enjoy and get a great day weatherwise :D
Attachments
Picture 138.jpg
audreywaugh
Wanderer

Munros:196   Corbetts:46
Fionas:14   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:25   Hewitts:48
Wainwrights:47   Islands:20

Postby Lifeonloop » Wed May 12, 2010 11:18 pm

Thanks for the heads up everyone. I`m trying to persuade my walk bud that it`s either bikes or leave it for another time, I don`t mind a little incline when riding, it would seem much preferable to a 32km walk in/out even with that bridge, It looks like something out of Indiana Jones :lol:
Lifeonloop
Munro compleatist

Munros:60   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:67
Wainwrights:113   

Postby gaffr » Thu May 13, 2010 9:51 am

Just to say, there is an alternative to the Biking into Culra, assuming coming in from Dalwhinnie, at NN 548787 the foot-track goes easily into the shorter bridge across the stream prior to the Bothy...NN 525764. On recall the wee building at 548787 junction is no longer there....could have been rebuilt? I assume that the upper bridge is still there...it was in March 2008 the last time I was in the area.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Paul Webster » Thu May 13, 2010 10:02 am

I think the building you refer to Gaffr is gone, but the footpath and bridge are still there :D
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby malky_c » Thu May 13, 2010 2:28 pm

gaffr wrote:Just to say, there is an alternative to the Biking into Culra, assuming coming in from Dalwhinnie, at NN 548787 the foot-track goes easily into the shorter bridge across the stream prior to the Bothy...NN 525764. On recall the wee building at 548787 junction is no longer there....could have been rebuilt? I assume that the upper bridge is still there...it was in March 2008 the last time I was in the area.

Heheh. I went that way on the bike once. It probably took me longer than the other way, and there's still a wobbly bridge to cross (well there was in 2004 anyway)! That path is a bit wetter and softer than the main track. Don't think I'd use it again on the bike, but good for walking.
malky_c

Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby gaffr » Thu May 13, 2010 6:05 pm

Been a few times on the 'softer path'.......much better for my old bones than the 'shuggaly stanes' on the land rover track :) ....yes if very wet the path might be a softer touch, but there are, for most of the way, drainage ditches on both sides of the trail.....wouldn't like to take a tumble into one of these :( Then there is carrying of a bigger rucksack if staying at the refuge. :shock:
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby mountain coward » Thu May 13, 2010 6:18 pm

For walking, I much prefer the grassier path too for the same reasons... but I'm not sure whether you could effectively cycle it, like Gaffr says, especially with a huge pack.
mountain coward

Postby magicdin » Thu May 13, 2010 6:57 pm

I had most of my gear in panniers and on the rear luggage rack therefore rucsac was relatively light
as I said earlier the most dodgy bit was getting the fully laden bike over the bridge
I'm not the best of cyclists so just took my time and the path down to bothy from where the old pony shed used to be was quite dry
magicdin
Rambler

Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion