walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A' Mhaighdean summit camp and inversion heaven Fisherfields

A' Mhaighdean summit camp and inversion heaven Fisherfields

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:47 pm

Route description: Fisherfield 6, from Shenavall

Munros included on this walk: A' Mhaighdean, Beinn Tarsuinn, Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair, Ruadh Stac Mòr, Sgùrr Bàn

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a' Chlaidheimh

Date walked: 07/09/2015

Time taken: 20 hours

Distance: 49 km

Ascent: 2545m

53 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We have been waiting for the perfect weather window to arrive for this set of remote hill and with that looking likely Monday / Tuesday last week we set off for Dùn Donnell on Sunday night with the two hour walk into Sean a'bhaile .....no much of a path to the bothy a slippery affair and no one i'd want to take in the dark .

Only one lady in the Bothy so we took the back room and had a good cràic with Jill from Edinburgh, who was off to do A'Mhaighean and Ruadha Stac Mor the following day.

I hummed and hawed overnight whether to complete this round in the day with light pack and return to Bothan late evening.

In the end i opted for the hard carry and summit camp on A'Mhaighean ,which turned out to be the best decision :D

We set off from Sheann a' bhaile around 7.30am a misty morning but i had the feeling this was going to be a classic day :wink:

IMG_5811.JPG
Air an rathad

The idea was to pursue the good track running up the river and approach Beinn a' Cheamhaidh from the East which with the 19K rucksack and gear was a haul and a half ! . It is a steep and hard won climb , never ending .

Summited four hours after leaving the Bothan and boy what a vista awaited us ......definetly a classic day ahead .

The cloud was settled at around 200m in the Glean and Coirean with wisps floating around everywhere and bright Alpine like conditions throughout ...... abair àite !

IMG_5812.JPG
An Teallach - The anvil

IMG_5814.JPG
Air a mhullach A' Chlaidheamh - Summit A' Chlaidheamh

IMG_5879.JPG
Air am druim -On the ridge

IMG_5817.JPG
An rathad againnsa - The road ahead

The views and atmosphere were absolutely breathtaking even an cù seemed to in awe looking at the thick cloud inversions below , ahead and all around us with An Teallach looking mighty impressive and the route ahead , all the way out to A'Mhaigheann stunning ! .

The ahead route was the usual ,a drop down to Loch a Brìsteadh and up onto Sgurr Ban. We descended into the mist and opted to keep left of the Loch then picked up the path to the summit of Sgurr ban ,another slog but again out into the Alpine sun and spectacular views .

IMG_5881.JPG
Sgurr Ban

I was feeling the pace at this point with a dodgy knee and sore shoulder , still enough of a day to make me forget the ailments and not focus to much on distant A'Mhaighean poking out above the cloud in the far distance.

The sumit is broad and lacks the depth of the other hills so we dropped down and over onto Coire a'Mhullach Mhic Fearchair and took a rest there at the càrn .

IMG_5882.JPG
MCMF agus cèo - Cloud and hill

IMG_5880.JPG
An Cù - The boy

Then off over to Tarsuinn via the by pass to Bealach Odhar the pull up onto the summit was easy and i could now see our target for camp getting that bit closer :D

IMG_5883.JPG
A'Mhullach Beinn Tarsuinn - Summit Beinn Tarsuinn

A grand ridge between this beauty and its neighbour to the West and we scratched about this on our way to the Bealach which was steep and very wet with some belting hags to negotiate.

Once through these the summit was one mighty , mighty slog and we topped at 6pm to an absolutely stunning sight. The inversion over the West was incredible ........

IMG_5822.JPG
Sgòth os coinn Maree - Cloud above Loch Maree

IMG_5825.JPG
Dhia !

The cloud was settling now at around 200m a full 600m below us as it streamed into the Coirean and Glen floor leaving me in stunned awe at the beauty of this experience . I quickly set up camp with a favourable light breeze and facing the route i had covered today ....

IMG_5826.JPG
An Campa - The camp

Then it was over to the càrn while dinner was cooking , a seat with a dram and a can of cider .... what more could a man ask for ?

The sun was lowering fairly fast and boy was i in for a treat , it was hard to decide what to photograph such was the choice of eye watering sites :D

IMG_5829.JPG
An Iar - The West

IMG_5830.JPG
Slioch os choinn an sgòth - Slioch above the cloud

IMG_5831.JPG
A' dol fos na grèine`- Sundown

IMG_5834.JPG
A' ribhist - Again

We then took a wander over to the plateaux between A'Mhaighdean and Rudha Stac Mor to get the different angles and see the route over for the morning ...light changing constantly

IMG_5837.JPG
An Tuath - The North

IMG_5838.JPG
Eileanan - Islands in the cloud

IMG_5839.JPG
Eileanan a ribhist

IMG_5840.JPG
Àlainn - Bonnie

Ca' bheil mo faclair ? ..... lost for words i wandered around the summit for ages , in another world high above the clouds

IMG_5843.JPG
An stac - Sun downer

By this stage we were back to the càrn to catch the last of the light .... fading fast over the West with lighthouses blinking under the cloud !

IMG_5847.JPG
A' dol fos na greine - sunset song

IMG_5852.JPG

A good nights sleep followed and great expanses of starry skys to look at in the light , cool breeze as i lay in the tent with the outer doors open ,saw a comet and plenty shooting stars before drifting off to tir nam bruachdair .

We were up for sunrise which was also pretty cool and left A'Mhaighdean at 7.30am for the hop over to Rudha Stac Mor was a dawdle and we breakfasted at the càrn the inversion still far below us.

IMG_5860.JPG
Rudha Stac Mor

We took the route out via Gleann na Mhuic Bhig which dropped us quickly into misty , grey conditions all the long way out to Seann a' bhaile and the route back to Coire Haille which i confess was hard going and seemed to go on for ever.

Sometimes you just catch it right , we were privileged to capture one of those moments that lives with you forever , on possibly the most iconic hill that the Gàidhealtachd has to offer .

Mol an latha mu oidhche .... Praise the good day at its close .

IMG_5846.JPG
Oidhche Mhath

Cheerie an drasda
Last edited by Collaciotach on Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Re: A' Mhaighean summit camp and inversion heaven Fisherfiel

Postby Petr Dakota » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:05 pm

Great photos ! :clap: :clap: :clap:
The combination of inversion, sunset and the beautiful area...really great ! :clap: 8) :clap:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby dooterbang » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:24 pm

WOW!!!! Absolutely stunning :D To think that you may have went round these quickly and missed putting the feet up :lol: . This camping, sunset, sunrise, inversion lark is certianly catching 8) 19kg is a hefty load :shock: . I also carried a heavy weight around these, was tough going. What a buzz eh. Photos are amazing but actually being there is beyond words. Fantastic Colla. I hope you get a couple of dry clear weekends before winter to compleat. It doesn't seem that long ago that you headbutted Glencoe :wink: :lol:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby IreneM » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:22 pm

Just FANTASTIC photos!

What an absolute treat to catch the conditions at the right time!

Thanks for sharing!

:clap: :clap: :clap:
IreneM
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:195
Fionas:13   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:14

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:00 pm

Well beyond words. Utterly and absolutely magical :shock: :shock: :shock:

Though I don't know which to be more impressed with: the ethereal views; or the 19kg pack! Did you have two 6-packs there???

(I experienced an amazing cloud inversion on the morning of June 12 2012, while doing the Mullardoch round - it felt like I was truly in a different world).

Thanks for posting. :clap: :clap: :clap: A real vicarious pleasure.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:14 pm

I have no words
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:50 pm

dooterbang wrote:WOW!!!! Absolutely stunning :D To think that you may have went round these quickly and missed putting the feet up :lol: . This camping, sunset, sunrise, inversion lark is certianly catching 8) 19kg is a hefty load :shock: . I also carried a heavy weight around these, was tough going. What a buzz eh. Photos are amazing but actually being there is beyond words. Fantastic Colla. I hope you get a couple of dry clear weekends before winter to compleat. It doesn't seem that long ago that you headbutted Glencoe :wink: :lol:

Cheers Dootz ..here is to dry , clear weekends :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Re: A' Mhaighdean summit camp and inversion heaven Fisherfie

Postby malky_c » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:55 pm

That's a winner - report of the month for me :D
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:56 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:I have no words

Moran Taing a bhalaich :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby Meatball » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:08 pm

Superb!
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:49
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

Postby BobMcBob » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:55 pm

Wow. That's it. Other than that, I'm speechless.

:clap: :clap:
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby weaselmaster » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:11 pm

They're some of the best inversion pics I've seen - and what a place to get them!
Great stuff, Colla - getting close now :clap:
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:183   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:21 pm

When hillwalkers die, this is what heaven should look like. :D :D :D

Thank you so much for posting such an amazing report. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Julie » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:06 pm

Thank you SO much for sharing, they are stunning photos, especially like the last one with the wee dog and the sunset, what a fantastic couple of days :D
Julie

Munros:227   Corbetts:63
Fionas:44   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:203   

Postby PeteR » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:13 pm

Islands in the clouds - absolutely stunning :clap: :clap: :clap:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

53 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland