walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Buckden Pike via Buckden Beck

Buckden Pike via Buckden Beck

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:05 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Buckden Pike

Date walked: 14/07/2015

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 535m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A catch up report from back in July when Grace (and Hughie of course) accompanied me up Buckden Pike in the Dales. Unfortunately as this was a midweek outing my better half was at work so it was just the three of us.
The weather was wonderful, blue skies and a light breeze, perfect for walking as we arrived at the lovely little Dales village (are there any not lovely villages in the Dales?) of Buckden. The start of the walk was out of the back of the village and past the water treatment plant to access the very pretty ravine that contains Buckden Beck.

ImageStart of Buckden Beck by Anthony Young, on Flickr

The first of many falls by Anthony Young, on Flickr

One of the beautiful cascades of Buckden Beck by Anthony Young, on Flickr

The initial part of the walk takes the form of following the beck till you meet a waterfall and then back tracking slightly to scramble up the left had bank to get to the next level up. The scrambling is very simple and although there is a little exposure it's nothing a normal fell walker would find off putting. If anything a bit more scrambling would have been more than welcome. Nevertheless, this is a beautiful route full of interest and a great way up the fell.

ImageHigher up on level ground by Anthony Young, on Flickr

A very mossy waterfall by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Soon enough the remains of the mine are reached, here nature has done a grand job asymilating man's efforts with very little of the original devastation still on show.

ImageLooking down to the old mine buildings by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageBuckden Gavel mine by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking all the way down to Buckden by Anthony Young, on Flickr

From here interest becomes about the views behind on the fairly featureless upper slopes. This was a stunning day, completely bereft of the haze which, in my limited experience is common in the Dales. Soon the other Dales tops came into view before, rising above it all 50 miles distant, was the Scafells looking remarkably clear (pic doesn't do it justice) and quite magnificent.

ImageA clear view of the Scafells 50 miles distant by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageFountains Fell, Pen-y-Gent and Ingleborough by Anthony Young, on Flickr

To be honest I'm not sure why Buckden's fell is a Pike, I've never seen it in any views looking remotely Pike like, perhaps that's why someone has put a huge wooden Pike on the summit. :-? The gentle breeze of the Dale was a touch nippy up here so we lunched on the other side of the wall, taking in more fine views.

Grace and Hughie a'top the Pike by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageThe view Northeast by Anthony Young, on Flickr

The ridge is paved in sections to help keep your feet dry, and limit errosion and progress is quick and easy to the memorial to the Polish airmen who perished on a terrible night in January 1942. The one survivor owed his life to a fox who's tracks he followed down hill, hence the the addition to the memorial. For the moving first hand account of the extraordinary story follow the link below.

http://www.buckdenpike.co.uk/mainstory.html

ImageThe memorial to the Polish airmen by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageThe fox by Anthony Young, on Flickr

The descent is initially very eroded and following rain this might be a bit of a mud bath, but soon easy grassy slopes predominate and it's a wonderful stroll with views of Wharfedale looking glorious, the locals would say this is god's country, today perhaps it might be ;-)
We emerged off the fell at the fascinatingly named Starbotton. Once again a lovely little village but just where did that name come from?

ImageView down Wharfedale by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageCam Gill Beck by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageA Local by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking towards Gate Cote Scar by Anthony Young, on Flickr

All that remained was to cross the lazy river Wharfe and follow the path back to Buckden, all level going through the sylvan countryside. The only disappointment of the day was Wednesday half day closing saw us unable to get an ice cream :-( Oh well you can't have everything perfect.

ImageThe River Wharfe by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageReturning to Buckden by Anthony Young, on Flickr

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Buckden Pike via Buckden Beck

Postby trailmasher » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:16 pm

That's a great report and a great way to go up a picturesque gully as that :clap: :clap: . I've never been in that neck of the woods before but may have to visit after seeing those once again great images of some lovely countryside :clap: :clap: Now that you've all but finished the Wainwright's how are you going to keep Hughie in trim Anthony :?
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby ChrisW » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:12 pm

Glad you got around to posting this one JK, it's hard to believe just how clear it is over that beautiful countryside. As you say there is usually at least a little haze. I read the story of Sergeant Joseph Fusniak on that link you posted, how awful for that poor guy, he really showed some strength (in both physical and character) to make it down with his injury and ultimately all in vain :(

This is the second post I've read today bearing witness to the people form around the world who came to the aid of the UK in our time of need, it is very humbling to think of their sacrifice so far away from their own loved ones.
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby mamoset » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:51 pm

Nice pics jk, of what looks like a decent stroll :)
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:10 am

Great report, and really awesome pics. I grew up just over the hill in Wensleydale, and I don't remember ever seeing the Lake District from there! Just fabulous. You experienced a wonderful place in the best possible weather :thumbup:

It's a fine, fine part of the world, with a very special and unique warm appeal.

(as a teenager, I spent many a happy evening in the Fox & Hounds in Starbotton.... :D )
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:20 am

trailmasher wrote:That's a great report and a great way to go up a picturesque gully as that :clap: :clap: . I've never been in that neck of the woods before but may have to visit after seeing those once again great images of some lovely countryside :clap: :clap: Now that you've all but finished the Wainwright's how are you going to keep Hughie in trim Anthony :?

It's well worth a visit, as is Great Wernside just down the road. My fear is without the motivation of the list will we get out as much? Hopefully the charms of the Dales/Cheviots/Moors/North Pennines/ Scottish Border hills and well as returns to the Lakes will prove enough of an inspiration. Hardly struggling for hill walking choices in the North. :D

ChrisW wrote:Glad you got around to posting this one JK, it's hard to believe just how clear it is over that beautiful countryside. As you say there is usually at least a little haze. I read the story of Sergeant Joseph Fusniak on that link you posted, how awful for that poor guy, he really showed some strength (in both physical and character) to make it down with his injury and ultimately all in vain :(

This is the second post I've read today bearing witness to the people form around the world who came to the aid of the UK in our time of need, it is very humbling to think of their sacrifice so far away from their own loved ones.

I'll not lie to you Chris, I got something stuck in my eye while reading that story :wink:

mamoset wrote:Nice pics jk, of what looks like a decent stroll :)

It is indeed, perfect for a nice easy hill walk.

Alteknacker wrote:Great report, and really awesome pics. I grew up just over the hill in Wensleydale, and I don't remember ever seeing the Lake District from there! Just fabulous. You experienced a wonderful place in the best possible weather :thumbup:

It's a fine, fine part of the world, with a very special and unique warm appeal.

(as a teenager, I spent many a happy evening in the Fox & Hounds in Starbotton.... :D )

I thought seeing the Lakes was rare, that haze has been an ever present on my previous visits. I agree it's a lovely part of the world and the Fox & Hounds was very tempting.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby simon-b » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:38 pm

That looks like a good ascent route, Anthony. I got the impression that this is a very underrated hill, but it seems not many people get such clear views, and a lot just seem to remember the marshy bits. If you pick a good route and get lucky with the weather, as you did, it's a nice place.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:36 am

simon-b wrote:That looks like a good ascent route, Anthony. I got the impression that this is a very underrated hill, but it seems not many people get such clear views, and a lot just seem to remember the marshy bits. If you pick a good route and get lucky with the weather, as you did, it's a nice place.

It's an enjoyable route Simon with plenty interest, the possibility for a bog fest is all to obvious but having said that the worst looked in line for a bit of repair in the near future. I must admit both Buckden Pike and Great Wernside are fells I'd return to again, lovely part of the world.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland