walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgiath Chuil and Meal Glas from Glen Lochay

Sgiath Chuil and Meal Glas from Glen Lochay

by ancancha » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:51 pm

Route description: Sgiath Chùil and Meall Glas from Glen Lochay

Munros included on this walk: Meall Glas, Sgiath Chùil

Date walked: 13/09/2015

Time taken: 7.47 hours

Distance: 26.82 km

Ascent: 1610m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Sgiath Chuil and Meal Glas from Glen Lochay

Postby basscadet » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:44 pm

You made it sound quite nice :) I dont know what it is like from Glen Dochart, but some hills are just squelchy and should be enjoyed as such :lol:

I went on a crap day, broke a walking pole and didn't see any of the fine views you got :lol:
We did see the finest display of rutting in the bealach between the two though - truly memorable.. :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Petr Dakota » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:39 pm

Another good effort and another good walk :clap: :clap: :clap:
Some nice views and photos...I will do those Munros next year probably or maybe during winter time...
You just wake up earlier next time, despite the sunday :lol: :lol:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby ancancha » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:46 am

litljortindan wrote:Good views once out of the cloud. Don't know about looking forward to peat hags though!

Cheers litljortindan, views were nice.
Was a bit squelchy on the way down to the peat hags which were dry :wink:
Interestingly I've just done another walk where I was happy to get to the peat hags :lol:

SecretSquirrel wrote:Nice one. That looks a good route around those hills. I did them clockwise from Glen Dochart and really enjoyed them. I don't know why these two have such a bad reputation, I thought they were great. Looks like you had a good day, when you weren't in the clag!

I usually have typical early morning starts on the hills, but after seeing some of the dawn/sunset photographs on your reports I think I'll need to be checking my head-torch batteries and try a late start!

Thanks SecretSquirrel
The views were fabulous, and like you can't understand why there would be any negatives about them, both summits were interesting with panoramic views.
I doubt I will ever be an early starter until I get a tent and hang out up top, but the sunsets are worth the dark endings :D

basscadet wrote:You made it sound quite nice :) I dont know what it is like from Glen Dochart, but some hills are just squelchy and should be enjoyed as such :lol:

I went on a crap day, broke a walking pole and didn't see any of the fine views you got :lol:
We did see the finest display of rutting in the bealach between the two though - truly memorable.. :D

Cheers basscadet, it was nice, steep getting up to Sgiath Chuil, but I tend to be a bit asthmatic, for normal folk probably a breeze :D
I read your report basscadet's, the stags must have made your day 8)

Petr Dakota wrote:Another good effort and another good walk :clap: :clap: :clap:
Some nice views and photos...I will do those Munros next year probably or maybe during winter time...
You just wake up earlier next time, despite the sunday :lol: :lol:

Thanks Petr I think they would be great winter mountains, no dangerous drops anywhere and the views were superb.
As I say I doubt early starts will ever be me, but you never know, life is a moving target :lol:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby ancancha » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:37 pm

dogplodder wrote:That looked like quite hard work. I've only Meal Glas to do and have been trying to figure out which is the better approach. 8)

A couple of Big Photos of Meal Glas from the other side to help with yours and anyone else's figuring.
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland