walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

a walk around and around Loch Luchd Choire

a walk around and around Loch Luchd Choire

Postby litljortindan » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:14 pm

Munros included on this walk: Seana Bhràigh

Date walked: 13/09/2015

Time taken: 9.5 hours

Distance: 22 km

Ascent: 987m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Don't think I've been on the A837 before and as I made my way along I wondered if I'd taken a wrong turn, there just being the single track road with passing places. But no, this country lane is indeed the A837! Doubt arose becasue I was armed only with a road atlas for navigation which only names a few of the places en route. Still, one by one these few places appeared and I was reassured that I had not ended up on the wrong road.
Next challenge was the estate road in to Corriemulzie Lodge. Having looked at all the Seana Bhraigh reports it sounded like this was the easiest approach as long as the car could take it. Someone had indicated a forty minute drive so, forewarned, I kept the speed down to 10mph and less. Managed it in twenty five minutes on the way back though so not too much to worry about though the rustle of grass and pinging of stones on the exhaust is always a bit unnerving.
Parked at the clearly signed walkers' car park and set off south west. Met at gate by three labradors guarding the house there, making lots of noise but quite friendly as I woofed back at them.
Through a side gate and off along the estate road with Seana Bhraigh already clearly visible in the distance.

target now four miles ahead

Creag an Duine dominates the view

Took me one hour and forty minutes to get the the turn off onto the track that heads south. This leads to a dead end at around 350m with a narrow path continuation but before that point an ATV type track heads uphill and I joined that track a few minutes later.

near the 350m contour where this track ends and an ATV track takes over to the right

This track was in very good condition despite there having been rain the previous day. The track continues up to about the 620m contour at which point there is easy walking south to get onto the north east ridge of Seana Bhraigh. I went up and down just north east of the wee lochan to the south of the 760m point.
More importantly, though, great views open up along the way to Morven, Scaraben, Loyal, Klibreck, Foinaven, all the Coigach and Assynt hills, An Teallach and others.

Stac Pollaidh and Cul Beag

loooking back along Strath Mulzie to near the start with Ben Loyal top right

Morven, Scaraben and co.

An Teallach

The final slopes give great views into the corrie, along the cliff edges and down onto the loch. There is then a level summit area which further reveals views to Ben Dearg and co., the Cuillin and to Wyvis. This really feels like the place to view the north of Scotland from.

first view into the corrie

Stac Pollaidh again and Rhidorroch River

An Tealllach again

looking across the corrie

Ben Mor Coigach to Quinag

The forecast wind had to this point only appeared in gusts and was fading as predicted so the onward walk along the corrie edge was quite relaxed. Fine views down a couple of gullies and easy walking over moss and short grass combined to make the 2km walk to the other end of the corrie edge seem a gentle stroll, albeit there is a wee bit of up and down.

progressing along the corrie edge

just visiblle left of the lochan, the two guys I met later in the day and Canisp and Quinag on the horizon

Assynt hills showing up well again beyond Seana Bhraigh's munro top

turning the corner on the summit plateau

Creag an Duine now ahead

good views north all along the way

loch and mountain

Walked as far as the narrow part before the point bit of Creag an Duine. Then got a little bit of sunshine on and off for the rest of the day.

An Teallach, Seana Bhraigh and Ben Mor Coigach

Dearg

Wyvis

Dearg

pointy bit

back round the corrie

a bit of sunshine at the top

Black Cuillin?

looking north west again

Felt a bit tired walking back but once I got back to Seana Bhraigh it was downhill all the way and pretty easy on the descent but a little heavy legged going back along the estate road. Bumped into a couple of older guys resting by their bicycles who didn't give cycling a whole hearted endorsement because of the bumpiness of the surface. Still looked a lot faster than walking when I saw them zoom past later on. Then passed by another older guy on foot. This simultaneously gave me hope for the future of my fitness and despair at the present state of it. As long as I can do it I suppose, that's what matters no matter how slow.
Loads of midges back at the car and some phone messages about shopping messages duly executed at Sainsbury's in Nairn. Couldn't get a phone signal all day yet the phone manages to relay shopping related messages.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by litljortindan on Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: a walk around and around Loch Luchd Choire

Postby ancancha » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:46 pm

Fabulous views litljortindan and enjoyed the video :clap:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby malky_c » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:15 pm

Definitely the best side to approach from :D . Some reasonable weather too. The scramble up the other side of the corrie across Creag an Duine is a nice route, if a little greasy for a couple of moves. Good memories of that being the approach to my last munro :)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Silverhill » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:05 pm

Loved the video and pictures! 8) This looks like an awesome hill and what an impressive corrie. I think I'll take your route when I do this hill. :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby litljortindan » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:51 pm

ancancha wrote:Fabulous views litljortindan and enjoyed the video :clap:

Thanks, great views all day.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby litljortindan » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:57 pm

malky_c wrote:Definitely the best side to approach from :D . Some reasonable weather too. The scramble up the other side of the corrie across Creag an Duine is a nice route, if a little greasy for a couple of moves. Good memories of that being the approach to my last munro :)

The scrambly route looks great but I am way off being able to do that just now but maybe one day. Mind you I managed to climb onto the shed roof to fix it in the summer -first time in two years I've done anything like that so getting there hopefully.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby litljortindan » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:03 pm

Silverhill wrote:Loved the video and pictures! 8) This looks like an awesome hill and what an impressive corrie. I think I'll take your route when I do this hill. :D

Thanks. I was surprised to see west coast, north coast and east coast hills all at the same time. Great views all round in the distance with a dramatic corrie below makes a great walk. Can definitely recommend the Corriemulzie approach.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby rockhopper » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:58 am

Smashing :thumbup: - had one of my favourite trips up here - great area for walking. Different approach from your but your way does look very interesting - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby litljortindan » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:39 pm

rockhopper wrote:Smashing :thumbup: - had one of my favourite trips up here - great area for walking. Different approach from your but your way does look very interesting - cheers :)

Yes, looks like there's lots to explore nearby. Hills directly east look good from the pictures I've seen.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby crisaitken » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:48 pm

I'm planning to do this route, and was wondering about carrying it on to the corbett Carn Ban further east. The contours on the map look all over the place, what did the terrain look like when you were up there?
crisaitken
Munro compleatist

Munros:278   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby litljortindan » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:18 pm

crisaitken wrote:I'm planning to do this route, and was wondering about carrying it on to the corbett Carn Ban further east. The contours on the map look all over the place, what did the terrain look like when you were up there?

Looked good to me in that direction though not quite so dramatic as Seana Bhraigh. Personally I'd avoid in the wet!
litljortindan
Ambler

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland