walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Helvellyn

Helvellyn

Postby Guinessman » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:55 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Helvellyn

Hewitts included on this walk: Helvellyn

Date walked: 20/09/2015

Time taken: 7

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 1421m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Lakes trip Wednesday 16/09/2015 topping up the fitness for a Scottish backpacking trip next month. Drove over to Glennridding Ullswater and parked up at the lay by about 1/2 mile north of the village. It costs £8 per day to park in the big car park, I'd rather walk the extra 1/2 mile. Got there for 8.30 and was walking by 8.45. The forecast had been 15mph wind increasing. There was no wind and the car temp read 5 C , perfect for walking. Walked into the village and took the road past the Travellers Rest PH up towards the YH. Went past the YH and up the zig zag route that takes you into a heathery bowl area that is reminiscent of the Perthshire hills and then up onto to Sticks pass. You can ascend Raise straight from the top of the zig zag part of the path on a path that takes you to the ski huts. I continued onto Raise and onto Whiteside before climbing onto Lower man and then walking onto Helvellyn. Got there just after 12 noon. Initially the plan was to walk along the Helvellyn ridge and then drop down to Grisedale tarn and out through the valley but I hadn't been on Striding edge since around 2003 usually because its always heaving so started to think about doing it. It was too early to go down onto Striding edge because to do It now would mean being at the car by 14.30 so I walked along the Helvellyn ridge to Nethermost pike by the corrie edges rather then the Helvellyn highway- the main route along this way-and continued onto Dollywagon pike. There is a spur that runs to the summit of Dollywagon pike from the climbing hut below in Grisedale that I'd done before. After a rest on top of Dollywagon pike I returned to Helvellyn via the highway and went to the top of Striding edge getting there for around 13.45hrs. Dropped down to the edge and continued along it by passing a few people who were either hobbling along it crab style or going too slow. Dropped down to Red tarn and then walked out via the spot height of 718 metre on Birkhouse moor and down to the camp site at Gillside and back to the car.

I usually give Helvellyn a miss because of its popularity and I still wouldn't say its a favourite however doing it yesterday and looking at it from different angles and in different light it is actually an impressive mountain and if you like your mountains like I do it has everything you would wish for. Here is few pics.

Catsyecam from just above the YH

The heathery bowl above the zig zag path

Lower man

Top of lower man

Classic shot of Striding edge and Red Tarn

Helvellyn from Nethermost pike

Across from Dollywagon Pike

Striding Edge looking to Helvellyn

Red Tarn and Swirral Edge

Last edited by Guinessman on Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Re: Helvellyn

Postby ChrisW » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:29 am

Great stuff Guinessman, if that's you getting your fitness up what are you going to do up in Scotland :shock: That looks a beautiful hike, though as you say not as much fun when heaving with folks :roll: As for the 8 quid parking I'd rather hop all the way :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Guinessman » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:57 am

Thanks for that, agreed with the car parks, last time I went to langdale ,about 3 years ago it was 7 quid to park for the day, that coupled with fuel costs makes it an expensive day
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby trailmasher » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:42 am

Another fine route Guinessman :clap: and the parking fees suck. £8, the cost is going up :crazy: . I don't know if you are aware but just down the road at Patterdale just at the end of the track to Side Farm there is an area of free parking in front of the old school :D . OK, a bit of road walking but saves the money :D :D
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby mamoset » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:07 pm

Always been a good starting point Stybarrow Crag over the years. Some nice pics and report there Guiness.
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland